Eating Real Food - post-W30 journal

Derek`

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly certain that it's refined sugar/HFCS that sends my mood into the crapper. I have a really bad reaction nearly every time. Need to remember that when I want to raid the cupboard. Also, I need to make sure my dinner is satisfying enough to last all night. Especially since I work out between work and dinner.

Wednesdays dinner was good. Even though I got comments from the peanut gallery :(. "Are you hungry?? You've got like a five course meal there" :( I tried adding some fruit to dinner to take care of the sweet tooth

5:00a. Bacon. Eggs scrambled with onion/peppers

12:00p. Chicken-cauliflower casserole. Broccoli. Grape tomatoes.

4:45p. 1 hour body pump class

6:00p. Meatloaf. Steamed broccoli. 1/2 pomelo. Pecans

I'm fairly certain that it's refined sugar/HFCS that sends my mood into the crapper. I have a really bad reaction nearly every time. Need to remember that when I want to raid the cupboard. Also, I need to make sure my dinner is satisfying enough to last all night. Especially since I work out between work and dinner.

I have a clinical mood disorder, and I think I've discovered a similar issue with sugar. I also second Amber's suggestion with the starchy carbs - I need to have a little bit each day. Not necessarily super-dense like sweet potatoes all the time, but some carrots or parsnips.

My last psychiatrist actually had several nutritional/supplementation suggestions for me that seem to have helped a good deal. They might be worth discussing with your doctor.

-Getting in sufficient Omega 3s, both through eating fatty fish (like salmon) and a fish oil supplement.

-Vitamin D intake, both through sunlight exposure and supplementation.

-A B-complex vitamin supplement taken daily.

That, combined with avoiding sugar and getting in small bits of starchy carbs at every meal, seems to have helped me avoid a crippling mood episode this fall. Again, your doctor might have different thoughts, but these might be good to bring up with him or her.

Monday:

5:30a Scrambled eggs w/ ham/bell pepper. cooked in coconut oil

12:00p Cauliflower. Broccoli. Grape Tomatoes. Chicken Breast. Pecans

4:00p 20 minutes of stationary bike; 60 minutes of weight lifting

6:00p Spaghetti squash, sausage. Brussels sprouts. Almonds. Orange

Tuesday:

I was feeling really tired last night.  :( Like, I could not get the kids in bed fast enough because I wanted to go to bed too.  I'm not sure what's going on.  I woke up feeling a little bit sick.  A mini-cold or something?  Ugh.  I don't know if that was causing my tiredness.  I dunno.

Sugar cravings seem to under control now.  I've been eating a piece of fruit with dinner.  That seems to be helping.  Natural sugar from fruit doesn't seem to have any of the ill craving effects that refined sugar and HFCS does.  Mood is pretty good too

5:00a. Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper/ham. cooked in coconut oil

12:00p Romaine lettuce. Tuna. oil/vinegar dressing. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Grape Tomatoes

4:00p 6-mile run

5:30p Spaghetti squash. Sausage. Green Beans. Pecans

I'm a little late to the party here - you seem to do be doing so well.

Sugar issues - yeah I here you here.  Sugar and dairy cause major depression in my camp as well.  And once I have something once, it's hard to keep saying no to it.  You keep on telling yourself it's just this once - but it never is. 

I've played around with my veggies and what works for me really well is 1 cup of starchy veg, partnered with 1 cup of green veg.  It keeps my sugar demons at bay, and keeps my hormones happy.

I incidently just started running - very new to it so I love hearing about others successes.  My first goal is to run 5k.  But with this mucky, cold, miserable weather that we are having this week - I'm not inspired - especially when I hear it's supposed to be -22 C (-7 F) on my Friday run.  Brrrr.

Thanks, vkanders. Things are a little rough.  I'm just feeling horribly sad again today.  I don't kow if it is the lack of daylight or my weekend of SAD eating.  :(  Also, just feeling really fat today.  We'll see how the day goes.

I feel so very sad, much more than prePaleo/Whole30, if I eat processed sugar now.  I know the sugars are an underlying cause of my low moods, but the reaction is so exaggerated these days!  I wonder if that is the same for you?  It takes maybe 48 hours to work its way out… 

Pam,

Sounds like that's what's happening to me.  I think that there is no room for moderation.  I had a so-so weekend mood wise.  I ate some pie on Thursday.  :(  Honestly, it wasn't really that good.  Probably not even worth it.  I guess it was a learning experience for the Christmas season.

I have been away from the computer as much as possible over the long weekend, so I didn't journal here.

I went out Friday (in the craziness of the mall) and bought some new jeans.  I love them!  I am small enough now that I can finally wear some jeans that aren't "Dad Jeans"  :)  Loving them.

Oh, this weekend I also had a chance to re-read most of ISWF as a refresher. Should finish it up tonight :) Reading it is so motivating. Along with everyone's support here.

Monday, 12/2:

5:30a M1: Pork chop, steamed broccoli, almonds

11:45a M2: Pork stew (loin, green beans, zuchinni, onion, carrots, a bit of sweet potato), broccoli, celery, grape tomatoes, pecans.

4:30p 60 minutes of weight lifting class

6:00p M3: pork loin, steamed spinach, apple, pecans

Ugh :(  I knoqw what you mean though.  I'm defintely in the same camp as you regarding stress and eating.  Hope the rest of your day goes better.

Well, several slices of (organic/gluten free) pound cake and probably 6 oz of chocolate later and I'm feeling ill.  It led me to empty all of our sweets and nut butters into the dumpster we have in our driveway (remodel).  It is embarrassing to even admit.

Tuesday 12/.3:

had an okay day.  I didn't sleep well at all Monday night so I didn't feel my best.  Also, had to stay at work late so I missed my run :(  Sucks that it's dark at 4:30 now :(

5:30a  Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper. cooked in coconut oil

12:00p Avocado/Tuna salad on romaine lettuce. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Grape Tomatoes

6:00p Chicken Breast, sauteed in olive oil.  Steamed Brussels sprouts. Pecans

Wednesday 12/4:

Another not so great night of sleep :(

5:15a  Ham. Grape Tomatoes. Pecans

12:00p Celery. Broccoli. Carrots. Romaine lettuce w/ Chicken breast and EVOO/ACV dressing.

4:00p 6-mile run

6:00p ground beef patty. sweet potato oven "fries" in EVOO

Do you supplement with vitamin D? Maybe it's something to consider if you don't. We're going in to summer, and never get the really short days like you do but when I lived in the uk, I was effected badly by SAD in winter!! I was literally that....some days I didn't see sunlight due to work and study commitments.

I currently don't take supplements.  Maybe something to look into.  I looked at the SAD lamps and even the cheaper ones are kind of pricey.  This time of year is always bad.  Yesterday I got to work when it was dark and left when it was dark.  Only a couple more weeks until the solstice and we're back on the upswing.  :)  I haven't had any offplan refined sugars since Friday and my mood seems to be doing better.  I'll get some vitamin D as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.

So I guess I've been away for a week :(  Things have been so-so for me.  Basically marking time.  Not moving forward, but at least not backwards :(  I'm feeling like it may be time for another Whole30 after Christmas. 

Tuesday:

5:30a Scrambled eggs w/ onion/peppers cooked in coconut oil

12:00p Turkey leg meat.  Grape Tomatoes. Cauliflower. Carrots. Almonds

4:00p 6-mile run in the snow/ice.  I am fortunate that the Rec and Parks department does clear the metroparks trail that I run on.  It was a little rough still though.  I ordered some yaktrax and I'm excited since they should be here tonight.

5:30p Roast beef. Onions/carrots. Apple.  Pecans.

Archived