Eating Real Food - post-W30 journal

Derek`

I have great times followed by a horrible hour which makes me start all over again.  :angry:

My horrible hour was last hour.  I am very, very tired today and when that happens… I eat.  No opportunity to just sleep and my mind interprets it as hunger.  Chocolate hunger.  

I still have time to go to the gym tonight so I'll feel a bit better in the morning.  What I'm going to try not to do is compensate calorie for calorie with exercise since for me that is a vicious cycle.

Love to hear you ran 5 miles!  Love even more to hear the foot isn't giving you too much trouble.  Ice it after exercise for sure.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I stuck to my plan for movement and dinner.  'cept I only did 5 miles instead of 6.  Not trying to murder my foot for now ;)  Endurance-wise I'm sure 6 wouldn't have been a problem.

However...I was running and hit a patch of ice on a slope and slipped.  Hit both my head and my butt - hard!  I haven't felt quite right since.  I had a bad headache and neck ache all day.  That didn't make things better.  May be an early night tonight.  :(  I have a pair of yaktrax, but I didn't wear them because I thought the sidewalk/bike path would be pretty clear.  It looked like the snow had melted, then some of it especially in low areas or on down grades had refrozen.  :(  I took it easier the rest of the run and ran a little more slowly.  Is it Spring yet??

So, I stuck to my plan for movement and dinner.  'cept I only did 5 miles instead of 6.  Not trying to murder my foot for now ;)  Endurance-wise I'm sure 6 wouldn't have been a problem.

However...I was running and hit a patch of ice on a slope and slipped.  Hit both my head and my butt - hard!  I haven't felt quite right since.  I had a bad headache and neck ache all day.  That didn't make things better.  May be an early night tonight.  :(  I have a pair of yaktrax, but I didn't wear them because I thought the sidewalk/bike path would be pretty clear.  It looked like the snow had melted, then some of it especially in low areas or on down grades had refrozen.  :(  I took it easier the rest of the run and ran a little more slowly.  Is it Spring yet??

Don't ignore that head injury.  Make sure you get checked out if you don't feel better ASAP.

Thursday 1/9:

5:30a M1: Scrambled eggs with onion and pepper. cooked in a little coconut oil

12:00p M2: Balsamic garlic chicken breast. Cauliflower. Celery. Carrots. Apple.

4:00p Movement: 6 mile run

5:30p M3: chicken breast. Steamed green beans. Roasted Brussels sprouts. Orange. .5oz almonds

Friday 1/10

5:15a M1: Scrambled eggs w/ peppers and scallions. cooked in coconut oil.

12:00p M2: Romaine lettuce. Chicken breast. O/V dressing. Broccoli. Grape Tomatoes. Celery.

4:00p Movement: 4 mile run

5:30p M3: ground beef patty. Steamed brocvoli. 1oz walnut

Thanks.  I'm not sure what it is.  Maybe I got the desire to eat crap out of my system on Tuesday?  I've also stepped it up from two eggs at breakfast to three.  And going pretty liberal with the amount of onions and peppers I put in them.  Also, being motivated by officially starting my training on Monday.  Thinking that if I eat like garbage I will train like garbage?  Not sure.  The past few days have been smooth sailing food-wise. 

It has only been 3 days, but I've started eating breakfast and the past few days have been much easier with the desire to binge.  I sure hope it is that easy!  Seems my habit of intermittent fasting works against me big time.

Nice to see you have some smooth seas for sailing too!   :)

I'm with Pam, really glad to see you having smooth sailing.  Getting excited for training is a good motivator.  And I wasn't trying to be a PITA, just trying to help you think through what might be helping things go more smoothly for you.  I hate to see anyone struggling and if you can figure out what keeps you on a good path, I think that's great.  Maybe you'll have to keep a race on the horizon.

My training plan for my 10-miler starts towards the end of February.  I'm excited to get into it, it will be my first time doing any speed work.  For now, I'm trying to build back up my miles from my sickness and build some endurance (maybe mostly mental) on the treadmill.

Oops, hope you don't mind me cluttering up your log!

Sunday 1/12:

6:30a M1: scrambled eggs w/ bell pepper and scallions. cooked in EVCO

8:00a movement: 8-mile run

9:30a PWO: Acorn squash. ground beef

12:30p M2: BLT salad w/ avocado and onion

6:00p M3: chicken breast. Steamed broccoli. 1oz almonds

Thanks!!!  My furthest race to date is a 10k, so yes, the 10 miler will be a new distance for me.  And it is going to be a huge race, I've only done little rinky dink ones before.  So that in itself is going to a challenge/excitement factor.

Nice run!

Monday 1/13:

5:30a M1: Scrambled eggs w/ scallions and bell pepper. cooked in coconut oil. Orange. I try to avoid fruit at breakfast, but I had a really strong sweet craving. In fact, when I was going to bed last night I was craving an orange. odd? I made sure I ate my "meal template" meal first and then took a few minutes to decide that I was really still hungry.

12:00p M2: Chicken breast. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Grape Tomatoes. 1oz almonds

4:00p Move: 3-mile run Everyhting felt pretty good. Feet didn't bother me at all. One ankle felt a little tender right at the beginning, but it cleared up quickly.

5:15p M3: meatloaf. Zucchini and onions sautéed in EVCO. 3/4oz walnuts

I don't eat much fruit, but it sounds like you took your time in deciding to eat it.  I had raspberries and cream last night and they were delicious!!!

Looks like you are on track with your running.  How many days a week do you typically run?

I was doing 3 days/week.  My training plan has me doing 5 days/week starting now.  I'm not too worried about making the jump because the total mileage for this first week isn't overly excessive compared to what I've been doing.  So, today, tomorrow, and Wednesday are shorter but more frequent runs than what I have been used to (3, 5, and 3 miles).  Thursdays are rest day.  Fridays are pace run days (typically about half the distance of my long runs).  Saturdays are long runs.  Sundays are cross train (probably walking or arms :) )

Sounds like a good plan.  I usually try to run 4-5 times for week, but November and particularly December were awful for me.  Glad the plan starts fairly easy, I'm sure it will ramp  up quickly!  I hope this style of eating is going to help your running!

It felt odd to me to just run 3 miles yesterday. :) I took some time away from running around Christmas and then eased off when my feet started to hurt. If I hadn't done that, I probably would have started my training plan at week 4. Ah well. Easing back into it. Scary to think that my race will be the same distance as my total mileage for this first week. :o

My second half marathon last year was mostly paleo. Third was mostly W30. This way of eating worked well for me then. Looking forward to seeing how marathon training goes.

Speaking of that, I'm thinking that I need to be better about eating PreWO/PoWO meals. Especially PoWO. I woke up with somewhat sore legs this morning. Not used to running on back to back days. PoWO should help me recover. I'm planning on cooking up some squash or sweet potatoes so I can have them on hand to toss in the microwave. Add in some tuna or something easy like that. How much should I eat? I usually eat dinner about 45-60 minutes after my run, so it doesn't need to be a lot. Just enough to replenish/recover.

I was wide awake at 3 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. grr. Maybe it was too much coffee yesterday? I don't feel too awful. I basically fell asleep at 8:15 last night while watching TV, then woke up and moved into bed. So it's not as bad as it sounds.

Got up this morning and I wasn't planning on going to work. It has been pretty slow and I didn't think I'd have anything to do today. Checked my email this morning and someone had something for me to do, so I came in. My feet are a little wonky today so I am wearing sneakers with slacks/button-down shirt. :lol: Function over form today.

Tuesday 1/14:

5:30a M1: scrambled eggs w/ bell pepper and scallion, cooked in EVCO

12:00p M2: Romaine lettuce. Ground beef. Tomatoes. Cauliflower. 1oz almonds

4:00p Move: 5-mile run. Went well again :).

5:30p M3: Hamburger w/ paleo catsup. Spinach salad w/ O/V dressing Steamed broc/caul

Wednesday 1/15:

5:30a M1: Chicken breast. A couple pieces of bacon. Steamed okra.

12:00p M2: Hamburger w/ paleo catsup. Celery. Cauliflower. Grape Tomatoes. 1oz almonds

4:30p Move: 3-mile run

6:00p M3: Chicken w paleo BBQ. Sautéed zucchini and onion. Spinach salad w/ O/V dressing.

Archived