Carb question?

mhill0823

My friends are giving me a rough time about doing my first whole30. They are telling me that anything good I do for my body will all be ruined once I reintroduce carbs back after 30 days.

My question, silly as it may be, but aren't there carbs in some of the foods we are eating that will make that problem not an issue? Or maybe something I need to be eating with carbs?

Yep, you're right!

I don't know where you are in the Whole30 process - whether you've started yet or what day you're on. The first week or two can be pretty rough, because your body is used to getting energy from grains and sugars, and all of a sudden it isn't. You might start to think your friends are right. They're not. :) Your body just needs time to get used to the new normal. Have you seen the timeline? This was really accurate for me, at least the first couple of weeks.

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

(Hi neighbor!) Yep, I've been there! Keep going - it will get better, I promise. Drink lots of water, eat if you're hungry (eventually the goal is three satisfying meals with no need to snack, and I'm there now, but I was ravenous the whole first week and needed the mini-meals). And get plenty of rest!

Every piece of advice I've read is "if you're hungry [enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli], eat!" The point is to get your body back in sync so it's able to tell you what it needs, so eventually hunger will genuinely mean you need more fuel. But these first couple weeks are pretty wacky.

I had some pretty weird snacks to fit the template, but every time I followed the "rules" (protein + fat) it really did satisfy me. One time I had an apple with almond butter and a couple slices of Applegate Farms roast beef. I don't recommend the taste combo, but it did the job. :)

thanks for that!! I was worried that the 3 meals a day wasn't negotiable, however I'm finding the need to snack some because I literally feel like I'm starving myself like crazy.

Are you eating enough at each meal? Could you perhaps give us an indication of what and how much you're eating? You really shouldn't be starving!!

Are you eating enough at each meal? Could you perhaps give us an indication of what and how much you're eating? You really shouldn't be starving!!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14284-my-first-whole30/

Here is the link to the log I topic I started yesterday to help myself track what I'm eating and hopefully get some feedback on where to improve.

and I've noticed between breakfast and lunch I feel fine, it's when I get to lunch that I can't seem to last until dinner.

After dinner I am fine the rest of the night. I tried increasing how much I ate yesterday for lunch and I still just felt hungry.

Tom's suggestion of more vegies is what I would have said too. Your meal 1&2 also sound low in fat which won't help your hunger levels...

Making your breakfast more substantial by adding fat and vegies to your protein will make a huge difference to your satisfaction levels throughout the day - even between lunch and dinner, more so than trying to compensate for a smaller breakfast with a bigger lunch...

I agree with the feedback Tom gave you. I would also try adding more carb-dense veggies at lunch: sweet potatoes, butternut squash, acorn squash, jicama, parsnips, rutabaga, beets are some ideas.

How much time do you have between lunch and dinner? If it's more than 4-5 hours, it's ok to have a mini-meal in between, including at least a protein and fat.

Thanks for the feedback.

There is usually about 6-7 hours between my lunch and dinner so today I'm going to try to have a small meal today between those two meals and this morning in a pinch I added some spinach to my breakfast and a banana and I felt way more satisfied, now in mid morning I still don't have any hunger pains.

My only issue today is that I am completely exhausted feeling.

Definitely some veggies at breakfast and maybe more fat at lunch - that will help a lot, along with the water! I know it's probably weird to start eating fat, but seriously, that is the biggest thing that keeps me feeling full. Being exhausted is totally normal for where you are in the timeline. It still sucks, but it's normal!

• 3 weeks later...

My friends are giving me a rough time about doing my first whole30. They are telling me that anything good I do for my body will all be ruined once I reintroduce carbs back after 30 days.

My question, silly as it may be, but aren't there carbs in some of the foods we are eating that will make that problem not an issue? Or maybe something I need to be eating with carbs?

Your friends should be supportive--unless they're worried about you, which given the soundness/completeness of this plan, they  have no reason to be. I find that people have given me a hard time too, especially about not drinking at all. I chalk this up to the fact that they're intimidated by something they don't understand, feel judged by the fact that I choose a different life style, or that they're confusing it with some kind of fad diet. Once you've let them know how much and how nutrient dense you're eating, if they're still giving you a hard time, it's one of the first two reasons. I know this wasn't the basis of your question, but I think the carb thing has been address, and I thought you might just need some support with the friend-peer needling and harassment that sometimes come with the territory, haha. Maybe I'm just projecting... :) Good luck! It does get better.

Your friends should be supportive--unless they're worried about you, which given the soundness/completeness of this plan, they  have no reason to be. I find that people have given me a hard time too, especially about not drinking at all. I chalk this up to the fact that they're intimidated by something they don't understand, feel judged by the fact that I choose a different life style, or that they're confusing it with some kind of fad diet. Once you've let them know how much and how nutrient dense you're eating, if they're still giving you a hard time, it's one of the first two reasons. I know this wasn't the basis of your question, but I think the carb thing has been address, and I thought you might just need some support with the friend-peer needling and harassment that sometimes come with the territory, haha. Maybe I'm just projecting... :) Good luck! It does get better.

Thanks so much for your concern!! I think you're right about them confusing it with a fad diet because even to this point, on day 24, they are still asking me when my diet is over so I can go out and have drinks and such with them. I keep explaining that it's more than a diet, it's a complete lifestyle change and that while I may have a drink on occasion it isn't something I plan to pull back into my life. I feel the same way about the majority of the foods that I have cut out of my life. On the flip side, I have a small group of close friends who are completely supportive. I mean to the point that when they are around each other they eat things that I am allowed to eat so that they show they are supporting me. I am blessed to have those friends, I've gotten to where I pretty much just ignore the others.

I have found that sometimes "friends" and their comments come from the fact that they are a little jealous of you being willing to make some good choices for yourself and having success of it!  I really hate to say this, but my friends that are girls (not my best friend) will not congratulate me on my success of completing my whole 30 but my guy friends have been amazing about it.  I think sometimes if reminds them of their own poor choices. 

That is great that you have a good support system, and like you said just ignore the other comments.  You have been eating carbs all this time and doing well for yourself.  So you can take that to the bank! :D

Archived