Started 10/20 and dragging my husband along with me :-)

AnneK

I began reading It Starts With Food a week ago per my doctor's recommendation (trying to combat chronic stomach inflammation without meds) and began on 10/13, but was still having some yogurt and cheese.  So my REAL start date is 10/20 where there is no more dairy at all!  I could already tell a difference after a week cutting out legumes, sugar, and grains, so I am excited to see how this goes. 

My husband is planning to stick with the plan as long as I have all the food ready to go (which I do on a regular day, so not a big deal!).  His problem is trying to flavor his coffee... he's a cream and sugar guy normally, so it is a challenge to go straight to black coffee.  Any recommendations? 

Also, is the cook book worth getting? With so many recipes online I am wondering if purchasing the cook book made it any easier for folks or is it something better to get later once I am more well versed in cooking this way?

Thanks to those on the forum.  I have enjoyed seeing so many people starting around the same time!

Anne

Anne, there isn't an official Whole30 cookbook. If you're thinking about the one on Amazon, I'm 90% sure that's a fraud, marketing off M&D's brand. Don't waste your money. Many of the recipes aren't even compliant.

Well Fed, Whole9's most frequently recommended cookbook, is a GREAT resource, but it's definitely not a required purchase. There are tons of recipes online, you just have to double check the ingredients and make sure you're good to go. Well Fed is highly regarded because there's only 1 recipe in there that ISN'T compliant, so no second guessing.

Your hubby could try coconut milk, but some folks don't love the oily mouth feel.

Yay, Whole30 for couples! I was 20-odd days into my second Whole30 when my partner decided he wanted to try it too. I'm "starting over" with him today.

I've been drinking black coffee for a long time and genuinely enjoy it, but it took some getting used to—and some high-quality coffee. I sometimes add coconut milk just to change things up, and I like it best blended. I warm up the coconut milk and (carefully!) mix is up with hot coffee in the blender.

I've done the almond milk (found ONE that was compliant) and I heat it up and use a frother. I only have 1/2 a cup on the weekends since I am dealing with other stomach issues.  I bought coconut milk today so he can give that a shot. 

Thanks for the feedback about the cook book!  I was looking at Well Fed and might give in (who doesn't love cookbooks?) as a reward later in the program. 

Archived