Should I quit CrossFit?

alexeats

I need advice from the amazing people on this site! I think it's time to quit CrossFit. Ok, a bit of background: I completed my Whole 30 yesterday! I feel fantastic. I adopted paleo five months ago, so I experienced all the amazing changes that go with eating paleo (bloating went away, skin improved, nails got stronger, no more high blood sugar mood swings, I no longer have to eat every two hours), but had not given up sugar entirely. Wow! This was the next step in a long process that I desperately needed. Giving up chocolate, paleo brownies, diet soda, gum, hard candies (that I would tell myself were insignificant) was a major mind-altering experience. I am so proud of this change, and have no desire to go back to eating lots of sugar again. I mean, I was a daily basis, gotta have sugar girl, so this is amazing for me. I am not giving that up!

So, here's my dilemma. While, I absolutely love CrossFit, and am so grateful that I found it, (because among many other things, it led me to paleo, and paleo led me to Whole30) I haven't lost any weight. That's right, even though I went paleo and completed the Whole30, I haven't lost any weight. I am still the same dress size, and still the same weight as when I started this new lifestyle 5 months ago (I started CrossFit seven months ago). In fact, I am growing out of my clothes. A dress I bought to wear to a friend's wedding no longer fits me---it's too tight. And, I do have weight to lose. I have a lot of belly fat (seriously, I am not imagining it). I work out 3-4 times per week, and I walk a lot (I live in New York City). The only thing I can think of at this point is that CrossFit has driven up my cortisol? I had my thyroid checked, and it is normal. So, should I push through and keep trying? Or is it time to quit my beloved CrossFit?  

Doing crossfit 3-4 times a week might be too much, if they're the standard strength + metcons.  Why don't you talk to the owners and see if there's flexibility to move to a more strength only program?

Maybe take a month off of working out, and see what happens? If you lose weight, you'll have your answer and can tweak from there.

Don't take it as an all or nothing decisions...few things in life are. If you love it, you can work it in, just in a smart way.

thank you both so much for your advice. I hadn't factored in my sleeping habits. I usually get 7-8hours of uninterrupted sleep, but I'll definitely try getting more because I do often wake up tired. Thank you!

And, thank you so much for Rennee Lee for that insight. I am an "all or nothing" person, so I needed to hear that. 

Have you tries getting your hormones checked? They may be out of balance and that could be the cause of not being able to shed the weight. You're doing everything right, eating great, exercising, (try to work on your sleep). So there might be something internally going on.

I have a friend in the exact same situation as you and she visited a doctor I also see. She found out that her cortisol levels were out of whack among other things.

I'm seeing a naturopath (the doctor my friend is seeing as well) who is also a MD and promotes Paleo eating. Her name is Dr. Kelly Austin and her office is called California Natural Health. It'd be great if you could find someone like her in your area, she's a great doctor and has helped out a lot of my friends and mother too.

I hope things work out for you :)

I doubt CrossFit is the REASON for your lack of weight loss. And if you really enjoy it and it has lead you to making lots of positive changes in your overall health then weight loss is just a drop in the ocean and you shouldn't give it up if it makes you FEEL healthy and motivated and well.

I think it might be worth getting some blood tests and your hormones checked. It is unusual to not lose ANY weight (whether it be kilos/pounds or inches).

It is true that maybe you are not eating enough?

Also how much weight do you realistically have to lose? If it's not much and you just have stubborn belly fat well that's a whole other story!

Archived