Trez 1st Whole30 Log

trezkholl0806

Today's Menu (Day 7) ((or 1.... :( I'm having to start over, technically, but I'm just going to add 6 days to my Whole30 ;) ))

More about starting over - I used some True Lemon packets (grapefruit and orange) this week, thinking they were "all natural" and "unsweetened"... Make sure you read the ingredients list completely... under it, it said "contains soy", some of them also say "cane juice" which is essentially another term for "SUGAR"; which I just found out last night... UGH... I'm wondering, though, the last day that I had one of these packets in my water was Saturday... so would I actually just add 4 days to my Whole30?

Breakfast:

Egg, baby spinach & red onion scramble

Rutabaga hash

Bulletproof coffee w/ coconut oil & coconut milk

Lunch:

Sweet potato, red onion & salsa chicken hash

Sauteed summer squash

((again, I forgot my fat... going to pick something up at the health food store at lunch))

Dinner:

Surprise! ;)

I wasn't very hungry at dinner, but made something anyway, just not a fullllll meal size.

Grass-fed beef taco meat with green salsa

Sauteed garlic green beans

Sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil & coconut milk with garam masala

Working out at the gym tonight - and I'm prepared....

Pre: 2 HB eggs pre

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's Menu (Day 7) ((or 1.... :( I'm having to start over, technically, but I'm just going to add 6 days to my Whole30 ;) ))

More about starting over - I used some True Lemon packets (grapefruit and orange) this week, thinking they were "all natural" and "unsweetened"... Make sure you read the ingredients list completely... under it, it said "contains soy", which I just found out last night... UGH... I'm wondering, though, the last day that I had one of these packets in my water was Saturday... so would I actually just add 4 days to my Whole30?

Yes, if the last day you ingested soy was Saturday, then Sunday would be your new day 1.

BTW, can you share your recipe for rutabaga hash?  Sounds yummy.

Yes, if the last day you ingested soy was Saturday, then Sunday would be your new day 1.

BTW, can you share your recipe for rutabaga hash?  Sounds yummy.

I peeled the outside off, cut up into pieces that would fit in my food processor and shredded it... sauteed garlic & sliced yellow onion in coconut oil, and added the shredded rutabaga... salt, pepper. I kept it super simple. It tastes SO good! I think I found a new favorite vegetable.

I peeled the outside off, cut up into pieces that would fit in my food processor and shredded it... sauteed garlic & sliced yellow onion in coconut oil, and added the shredded rutabaga... salt, pepper. I kept it super simple. It tastes SO good! I think I found a new favorite vegetable.

Sounds very simple and yummy - thanks for sharing.

You might like this recipe too.  Instead of the 3 turnips, I use 1/2 a rutabaga, and take 5 minutes off each of the cooking times. Delish. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2j7pSgGDQ

Sounds very simple and yummy - thanks for sharing.

You might like this recipe too.  Instead of the 3 turnips, I use 1/2 a rutabaga, and take 5 minutes off each of the cooking times. Delish. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2j7pSgGDQ

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try this next week. When you have this, do you just eat 1 serving of it and what else would you have to complete your breakfast?

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try this next week. When you have this, do you just eat 1 serving of it and what else would you have to complete your breakfast?

Yes, that's what I do.  I cut the finished casserole into 4 pieces, so that gives me 4 breakfasts.  Oh, I also grease the baking pan with coconut oil before putting the mixture in, and add salt and pepper to taste when I cook the ground beef. For my fat component at breakfast, I have coffee blended with clarified butter and coconut oil.

Today's Menu (Day 8) (a.k.a. day 2)

So, I woke up a little late this morning, but still early enough to go to the gym to get back with my morning cardio. It really helped prepping/cooking and packing up my food last night. I ate 1 HB egg and drank Bulletproof Coffee (used my new Coconut MCT & coconut oil)... Got to the gym, thought I would do a few box jumps before hopping on the elliptical... FAIL. This was a taller box than I normally jump, I did one... then on the second, I bombed. My left leg slid down the side of the box. It looks horrible. Scraped my skin off, I'm bleeding, and it is SWOLLEN (think half a baseball). epic fail. Trainer said I prob should skip the cardio. I'm such a baby.

Since I didn't workout, I didn't eat my post-workout snack and just counted the egg and coffee toward my breakfast.

Breakfast:

Rutabaga Hash with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers & salsa chicken

1 sunnyside up egg

Leftover sweet potatoes from last night (w/ coconut milk & oil)

Lunch:

Salsa Chicken w/ romaine, sweet yellow tomatoes, olives, bell pepper, cilantro & green salsa

Sauteed Summer Squash

Organic green olives ;)

Dinner:

We are planning on making those lamb shoulder steak things I bought the other day on a whim (is that even how you spell that?)

Lamb Shoulder (marinated in olive oil & italian seasonings)

Garlicky Green Beans

Plantains (cooked in coconut oil w/ coconut cream)

Activity:

Failing at box jumps 

Teaching TRX class @ 6pm (nobody showed) :(

It's a swede! I know what that is....but never eaten one, or a turnip which is supposedly similar. Maybe I'll have to give it a try :)

Yes!!! Swede! I had never heard of that, but I Googled a Rutabaga the other day and saw that term :) I am obsessed now. They are so good! I think it's sweet than a turnip. Definitely give it a try :)

Yes - my leg hurts SO BAD! Speaking of, are there any pain relievers that we can take while on W30? I haven't taken anything, though my hubby keeps telling me I should because it's still VERY swollen.

Olives will be my fat for lunch since I forgot my avocado. Forgot to put that!

Today's Menu (Day 9) (a.k.a. Day 3)

Good Morning! Okay... so, things I'm noticing, and I'm going to get a little personal here and TMI, so I apologize in advance.

Still a little tired, still having trouble getting up in the morning, but I feel good throughout the day. I'm regular. TOM - Idk what's going on with that. I suppose its going haywire due to body detoxing/hormones balancing, but it started like 2 days ago, but then nothing, then on, back off. Bah. Oh, and apparently I'm experiencing the Day 9 affects (timeline), loose stool.

My leg, from the box jump incident, looks better, swelling has gone down, but it still HURTS, so bad. And due to that, I slept pretty crappy last night. I could only sleep on my right side with my legs straight out. I'm still determined to go to the gym tonight and actually workout.

Breakfast:

3 egg omelet w/ rutabaga, summer squash, bell pepper & mushroom filling

Sweet potatoes cooked in coconut milk & coconut oil with cinnamon

Lunch:

Crockpot salsa chicken

Sauteed summer squash

Leftover sweet potatoes from above

1/2 avocado

((I'm getting lazy in the food dept. - cooking tonight...)

Dinner:

WHO KNOWS

Creamy collard greens w/ chicken

Roasted brussels sprouts

Plantains in coconut oil, with coconut cream on side

(couldn't eat all of this)

*I might've been a little bad and SNACKED while cooking, on green grapes... they were SO good! and crunchy* Then I finally moved them out of my sight.

On a lighter, positive note... a co-worker brought in a DOZEN Dunkin Donuts this morning. I saw them, she even offered, but I RESISTED, (BAMMM!), and told her I had already ate. The thing about it though, I had to push kind words out of my mouth like, oh they look really good though! when in fact, I couldn't care less. I don't care! Isn't that amazing? I have the WORST, BIGGEST sweet tooth. and I do not care that there are pumpkin donuts within reach. I honestly am not missing anything (yet), no junk food, no fast food, no sweets, icecream, you name it. It's an amazing feeling. Yes, it has only been 9 days, but this is coming from the girl who INDULGED on the weekends like nobody's business.

I'm a little concerned about tomorrow, though. We were invited over to a friend's house for dinner. I let them know in advance about what I couldn't eat.... so this should be interesting. But I'm thinking about bringing food, JUST IN CASE. Any suggestions? :)

Today's Menu (Day 10) (a.k.a. Day 4)

TGIF!!!!! :D :D :D

My mood.... so TOM is here, but I am WAYYYY more emotional than normal. I've cried twice today. lol.

Breakfast:

Rutabaga & Red Onion Hash w/ Homemade Breakfast Sausage (grass-fed ground beef)

3 scrambled eggs

Bulletproof Coffee (w/ Coconut MCT, Coconut Milk & Coconut chips)

Lunch:

Homemade Breakfast Sausage

Roasted brussels sprouts

Sauteed mushrooms & bell peppers

Sweet potatoes

((Forgot my fat!!))

Dinner:

Not sure... we have plans to go to friends house, but not sure what they are cooking... I did tell them that I couldn't have dairy, grains, soy, etc.... wondering if I should eat something before I go.

Thoughts so far on W30....

I am feeling really good about not having any cravings so far... I hope it continues to go this way. It doesn't seem like much, given it's only been 10 days, but this is big for me. Prior to W30, I was "clean eating" per my personal trainer's meal plan (lean protein, green veggies, complex carbs, no dairy), but on the weekends, when I planned on having a "cheat MEAL" (one meal, not a whole day), I found myself bingeing to try to get rid of the desire/craving to eat these bad foods. I thought if I ate so much it made me miserable, maybe I would write off the food. I know, stupid. Bad idea... every weekend I would fall into the trap of binge eating, stuffing my face, being miserable. Sometimes it would carry over into the week. So 10 days, no cravings = BIG NEWS!!!! I'm so excited and can't wait for the MAGIC to happen!

Today's Menu (Day 11) (a.k.a. Day 1)

Yeah that's right... So dinner Friday night with friends was hard. That was the first time they've invited us over so I didn't want to grill her with 20 questions asking what she put in the food. Afterall I did explain what I couldn't have. She made steak, shrimp, Brussels sprouts, twice baked potatoes, and a mushrooms sauce to put on the steak. She even made sure there was a plain potato for me.

I ate steak and shrimp and Brussels sprouts. It tasted very good. But I was worried the whole time that I was eating something non-compliant. She even made dessert (pound cake with homemade whipped cream & raspberries) - I had plain raspberries. Which I was fine with (never in a million years, lol, this is where normally I would make an exception and just eat the dang cake).

After we left I inquired as to how she cooked the steak and Brussels sprouts because they tasted so good I wanted to make them sometime. She used olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning for the meat (okay looking good so far)... But. The Brussels sprouts she cooked them in bacon fat with bacon :( I'm just assuming this was non-compliant bacon as I have not been able to find compliant bacon here yet. :/

Breakfast:

Sweet Potato & Apple Hash with Homemade Grassfed Beef Breakfast Sausage (oh my so good)

2 eggs cooked sunnyside up, on a bed of wilted baby spinach (man does that stuff strink)

Bulletproof coffee

Lunch:

More hash from above (it was so good!)

Wilted spinach

(Can you tell I was feeling super lazy?)

Dinner:

Curried butternut & pumpkin soup with coconut milk (1-1/2 bowls)

Then we went to friends house to sit around the fire. I was hungry when we got home since my "dinner" did not consist of protein

Crockpot salsa chicken

Creamy collard greens

I'm feeling super lazy.... I know I'm around the time that the laziness kicks in. But I don't know how to get out of it. I hope it passes soon.

Today's Menu (Day 12) (a.k.a. Day 2)

Breakfast:
So it felt like one of those days.. it was pretty outside and cold and I just wanted to go somewhere for breakfast with Hubby... so we did... to Cracker Barrel. Possibly the worst place for a Whole30'er to go.

What the heck did I do to myself? What am I going to eat?

Porkchop (cooked without butter or oil)

2 poached eggs

side of fruit

They had absolutely NO veggies on that breakfast menu and I asked if I could order from the regular menu yet (no, was the answer)...

2 cups black coffee (which I'm starting to like)

After this, we went and ran errands and did some grocery shopping. I came across Larabars which I keep hearing about so I got one to try. I ate this... 

I literally was not hungry all day. I did "snack" :/ Well, just had a mini apple (like 2 inches big, so cute!), and a few golden raspberries.

I didn't eat again until late (probably 7pm)... and then again, I did not have the best meal at all.

Dinner:

2-3 scrambled eggs (don't remember really)

Salad w/ romaine, sweet yellow tomatoes, radishes, homemade caesar dressing

Curried butternut & potato soup

Plantain cooked in coconut oil

Today's Menu (Day 13) (a.k.a. Day 3)

Breakfast:

3 scrambled eggs w/ spinach & mushrooms

Sweet potato, apple & homemade sausage hash

Bulletproof Coffee

(I was concerned that I wasn't getting enough veggies in with breakfast and now I know for sure that I didn't because I'm hungry and it's not even 10am... boo.)

What did I tell you? I'm feeling so lazy! And it's frustrating for me because my meals aren't coming together as meals, they are more like random things I find in the fridge. I feel I'm doing poorly now. :( Help...

Lunch:

Sweet potato, apple & homemade sausage hash

Curried cauliflower

Zucchini noodles (didn't eat these, they were terrible... WAY too much salt)

Carrots

1/2 avocado

Dinner:

Homemade grassfed beef sausage

Chayote squash sauteed in coconut oil

Roasted zucchini

Roasted acorn squash sauteed in coconut oil

Side salad (spinach, tomatoes, radishes w/ homemade caesar dressing)

1/2 avocado, sauteed in coconut oil

**couldn't finish all of this**

Today's Menu (Day 14) (a.k.a. Day 4)

Breakfast:

3 scrambled eggs

Rutabaga hash (w/ grassfed beef sausage)

Sauteed mushrooms & bell peppers

Fruit cup (green grapes & golden raspberries)

Bulletproof coffee

Lunch:

Sweet potato, apple & grassfed beef sausage hash

Curried cauliflower

Roasted zucchini & broccoli

1/2 avocado

Dinner:

Grassfed Flank Steak (dry mustard rub; thanks to Hubster)

Roasted Green Beans & Onions

1/4 Roasted Acorn Squash w/ Coconut Cream dipping sauce

100% Organic Green Tea

I love your meals!  They sound so yummy!.

Your love of turnip is pretty similar to my love of pepper squash right now.  I would eat it at every meal if I could.

I'm actually on my day 4 as well. (4th whole 30)  Kudos to you on just moving forward.

Also having a large sweet tooth myself (and I love to bake) so double whammy there.  Anytime you see store bought goodies - oreos, donuts, chocolate bars - just tell yourself that They. Are. Not. Special.  That generally quietens my sugar dragon down.  Homemade stuff requires a lot more energy though. :)

I love your meals!  They sound so yummy!.

Your love of turnip is pretty similar to my love of pepper squash right now.  I would eat it at every meal if I could.

I'm actually on my day 4 as well. (4th whole 30)  Kudos to you on just moving forward.

Also having a large sweet tooth myself (and I love to bake) so double whammy there.  Anytime you see store bought goodies - oreos, donuts, chocolate bars - just tell yourself that They. Are. Not. Special.  That generally quietens my sugar dragon down.  Homemade stuff requires a lot more energy though. :)

I've never heard of pepper squash! Sounds intriguing... That's the weird thing... I haven't had ANY cravings... whatsoever! Weird, right? Normally, I would be caving and giving into temptation at the sight of any of those things... My grandfather-in-law did bake a homemade apple pie a couple of days ago and when I got home, it was sitting on the stove... glaring at me. I did have a moment, not that nagging feeling like I NEED to eat that, taste it, just a bite... but, it was more like, its right there, staring at me, it would be so easy to just have a little taste; I wonder if it's good? But I didn't. And I moved right on along (I did cover it up though, just to get rid of any further thoughts). But yeah, no cravings. 

It's nice to have other people to talk to on here that understand what's going on!

Today's Menu (Day 15) (a.k.a. Day 5)

So I'm not sure if I'm dreaming, seeing things, or the like... but when I looked in the mirror, it seemed like my stomach has went down in size... before I could poke my belly out and look 4 months pregnant (even after losing 60 lbs, which is frustrating, anyhoo); it still pokes out, but doesn't seem as round. My highwaisted pencil skirt that was squeezing my butt the other day, in a bad way, is also looser this morning. I haven't gotten anymore energy, yet, so hopefully that will happen soon. I have horrible bedtime habits though and end up falling asleep on the couch, watching TV, which I need to stop doing.  :huh:

Breakfast:

Rutabaga Casserole (rutabaga, egg, sausage)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Bulletproof Coffee

Banana w/ 1 tbsp almond butter & 10 (or so) raisins

Lunch:

Curried Butternut & Pumpkin Soup

((I FORGOT MY PROTEIN))

Egg whites & 1 whole egg

Roasted Zucchini

1/2 Avocado

Dinner:

Chocolate Chili (from Well Fed)

1/8 slice of roasted acorn squash

Side salad (baby spinach, raw bell peppers, tomato, jicama w/ homemade caesar dressing)

Caramelized plantain w/ coconut cream

Last night after dinner, I was still hungry; that's when I made the plantain... after this, I started feeling so sick to my stomach. I felt nauseous and bloated. Couldn't go to the bathroom. Couldn't take anything (normally I take Tums or Pepto Bismol)... ended up going to bed feeling sick and had to just fall asleep. This morning I woke up with a headache. Not really sure what's going on - these are all normal things I eat. Well, first time trying the chili; but that's the only new thing I had. The only other thing, was that I normally saute my bell peppers (orange, red, yellow). Don't know if that could be it?

Today's Menu (Day 16) (a.k.a. Day 6)

Breakfast:

Rutabaga Casserole (rutabaga, egg, sausage)

Wilted baby spinach

1/2 small avocado

Bulletproof Coffee

Lunch:

Chocolate Chili

Roasted acorn squash (1/8 slice)

Roasted green beans & roasted broccoli (prob 1 cup total)

1/2 avocado

Dinner: (at 10:00 p.m. AHH!)

2 Applegate Farms Grassfed Hotdogs topped w/ Chocolate Chili

Roasted acorn squash (1/8 slice)

Chayote squash & zucchini

1/2 avocado

We are house/dog/cat sitting tonight & Friday night, so I packed up just about all the food in my fridge to bring with me (it's now at work). We are also doing the Light The Night Walk to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I'm excited for this. My dad died in 2002 from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma; so I will be walking in his memory.

On a happier note, I still have not had ANY cravings; which I'm still finding shocking. The ONLY thing, is that when I smelled the chili, I immediately thought of how good some crackers would be broken up in it... but it wasn't a craving, just a thought. Of course I bypassed it. :)

Cravings are mixed / with wants with me. 

For the past 3 days I've been wanting chocolate (PMS symptom = normal) and bacon, olives, and proscuito - so craving fat.  Thankfully I am wanting the fat more than the actual chocolate.  And I've wanted a cheese danish from the patisserie downstairs where I grab my coffee in the am.  But obviously that went on the non-special list (oh but they are!) :ph34r:

Have you had any crazy food dreams yet?  My first whole 30 I dreamt that I went off plan with plain white rice.  And recently I dreamt that I went off plan with margerine.  Which is just plain bizzare.   

Happy Day 6 to you!

Cravings are mixed / with wants with me. 

For the past 3 days I've been wanting chocolate (PMS symptom = normal) and bacon, olives, and proscuito - so craving fat.  Thankfully I am wanting the fat more than the actual chocolate.  And I've wanted a cheese danish from the patisserie downstairs where I grab my coffee in the am.  But obviously that went on the non-special list (oh but they are!) :ph34r:

Have you had any crazy food dreams yet?  My first whole 30 I dreamt that I went off plan with plain white rice.  And recently I dreamt that I went off plan with margerine.  Which is just plain bizzare.   

Happy Day 6 to you!

haha - funny, white rice and margarine... those are odd! I have not had any yet, but I kind of want to, to see what they would be! I think pizza was briefly involved in a dream the other night, but that's not anything out of the ordinary, and I didn't really remember it that much when I woke up - I just "think" that pizza was there. 

Have you found any compliant bacon, speaking of? I haven't... are you getting enough fats? :D Cheese danish sounds sooo good... oh my.

Yay for Day 6! 

I love your menus/food logs.  I'm so sorry about your dad.  

I love that you love Rutabaga.  You inspired me buy a few.

Do you have a suggestion for my first ever experience with Rutabaga?

You're doing so good.

I love your menus/food logs.  I'm so sorry about your dad.  

I love that you love Rutabaga.  You inspired me buy a few.

Do you have a suggestion for my first ever experience with Rutabaga?

You're doing so good.

Thanks for the thought :) 

I feel like this helps me to see what I've been doing, I NEED this! The rutabaga is awesome - the first thing I did with it was make a breakfast hash... I just heated coconut oil, added onion until translucent, then added the shredded rutabaga, and just salt & pepper I think. Though you might want to play with the seasonings. Cook until it's softened, or to your liking. It's got such a good flavor. Some say it's similar to a turnip, but it has a sweetness to it. I also made homemade breakfast sausage and added it to it the other day too.

Archived