Starting Monday Nov 4th !

Girltony

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wishing everyone a good start! I've just got up and had my matcha (quitting coffee for my Whole30) and am now looking sidelong at the minced beef I'd planned for breakfast which I don't feel like at all...

FUN - I'm not a vegetarian and dont know if we have any in the grup but there is a whole board for veggies on the forum.

Welcome Marianne, vinlove, pipi and everyone who's getting involved.

Is anyone keeping a log on the Whole30 log board? Or shall we post meals here for inspiration?

Hi Everyone

I am a day late but I would love to be part of this group! I have been tinkering with the Whole 30 program for the last two weeks but it's time to start properly. I will be doing the AIP whole 30 program (I have rhuematoid arthritis), hopefully it will help me feel a bit better.

Good luck to everyone :)

Ally

My jaw actually dropped while reading your post. It's a good description of my story. I completed my first whole30 back in May. I lost 21 pounds and 12 inches while sleeping better, waking better and feeling the best I ever have. After that whole 30 it took me months of trying to start a second one because I had fallen off the wagon hard gaining 1/2 of the weight back. I finally was on my 5th day of my second whole30 when my doctor said I have to go back on gluten for 2 weeks in order to be checked out for celiac disease. The doctor took blood Friday so I am starting my whole30 today (Nov. 4th) as well.

Best of luck to you!

I am starting today as well.  I did my first 30 last January and felt great for a couple months but then my thyroid went crazy and it was discovered that I had Hashimotos thyroiditis (and mosty likely undiganosed for a decade)  and a large calcified nodule,.  When the went in to remove my left lobe it was discovered that my thyroid was literally melted into my vocal chords and beyond, so they had to remove the whole thing. They also found cancer, fortunatly got it all and no radiation was required. It has been a tough 6 weeks and along the journey my eating has fallen off the wagon completely. I went back to my old ways of food for comfort. Well I feel like crap, still have no voice along with other issues.. I wish a bigger hammer had hit me over the head so that I would have realized sooner that eating better would have made recovery better and quicker. So here I go, starting with food, and healing with the help of a fabulous group of people

@Amae58 - I've got Hashimoto's as well (diagnosed 15 years ago), although not to the degree of needing surgery.  You've been through alot and making a commitment to do another 30 gave me some inspiration to keep going today. 

Had a great breakfast (casserole thing with eggs, sausage, spinach, sweet potatoes) and I'm already hungry (it's 10:15am and I ate at 8am!) and I didn't pack any snacks. I'll go get some tea and hold out for lunch. 

@Amae58 - I've got Hashimoto's as well (diagnosed 15 years ago), although not to the degree of needing surgery. You've been through alot and making a commitment to do another 30 gave me some inspiration to keep going today.

Had a great breakfast (casserole thing with eggs, sausage, spinach, sweet potatoes) and I'm already hungry (it's 10:15am and I ate at 8am!) and I didn't pack any snacks. I'll go get some tea and hold out for lunch.

Did you remember to add fat to meal 1? Sounds like it would have been lovely with a big dollop of homemade mayo :)

Weirdly my appetite has been very steady today - coffee-withdrawal headache notwithstanding, it's been quite easy. 

M1: matcha tea. beef mince with onions and tomatoes. Banana (the banana was actually unplanned and late morning - I had some very stressful news and fell back on a banana, kill me..). 

M2: homemade pumpkin, cauliflower and chicken soup. Small apple.

Normally I would be fiercely hungry at this time. The template's working for me :) - there was definitely more fat and chicken in the soup than I would have put in otherwise. 

But wow, this headache...

I have a ballet class in a couple of hours and haven't really got a meal planned in between. I'm not eating nuts so snacks and things can be hard to find nearby. I think I'll be ok, though. 

Started Whole30 today too and I'm really looking forward to observing the changes that happen physically, mentally and emotionally! I'm pretty much finished with the book and I have to say that I'm absolutely blown away by what I've learned. I considered myself to be a fairly healthy eater - boy was I wrong!

Cutting back the caffeine this morning was rough and I'm sure I'm bound to hit some rough patches over the next 30 days but, like the Hartwigs say, "Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard." I'm determined to do this 110% for the next 30 (hopefully forever) days! Looking forward to gaining even more knowledge and insight here via the forums.

Tina :)

Fabulous!

Today, Monday Nov 4, is my "Day One" as well ... and I am SO grateful to find this deluge of information via the Forum and would love to be a part of this group as well.

Really looking forward to committing to this lifestyle as I really believe in it.

Up to today I am currently in the worse place I have ever been.

Fat, sick and nearly dead! (So to speak)

I've been on that classic roller coaster of "up 20 pounds, down 30 pounds, up 40 pounds, down 40" etc. You all know the story.

Needless to say I am SO much looking forward to supporting and learning from one another and am thankful for the promise of this Whole 30 journey!

Hi! I'm also starting today! I made a big pot of chili yesterday and some chicken I will be reheating this week. I'm also planning on making some tuna with homemade mayo when I get home, and possiblly a quiche or breakfast muffins (eggs). This is my first whole30 I'm very nervous and excited! :)

How did everyone go on first couple of days? I found the food part of it surprisingly pleasurable - went to the farmers market and splurged on fruits and vegetables and organic meats etc. Maybe over shopped a bit because my fridge is bursting at the seams! Enjoyed everything i ate, had no cravings .... Guess I was experiencing the first 2 day high and then last night came down with a crash!

So last night my stomach kind of popped - went into the cinema with a friend feeling fine and came out feeling hot, irritable and like my jeans had shrunk! I dont know if anyone has allergies but it was the same feeling I get if I eat wheat - bloated and out of sorts. Came home and drank some peppermint tea and went to sleep. Woke at 3 with stomach pains - which felt like extreme hunger so I ate a banana which worked. Went back to sleep and have woken up with a very pesky black dog beside me? 

Does that metaphor work in the rest of the world? In Australia one way of referring to depression is as the 'back dog'. Its a holiday here today and a beautiful spring day outside and I am struggling to think of anything that I want to do! Ahhhh ... I get this feeling if i eat badly (sugar, alcohol, wheat etc) but wasn't expecting it from eating well. I am guessing its gut related (most of our serotonin is made in our guts). 

I think i will throw myself in the shower and go for a long walk and hopefully that will shake the feeling. That made me laugh - Im going to take the pesky black dog for a walk! And worse case scenario I feel blue for a day - not the end of the world. I do meditation and have a group tonight so as long as i make myself attend all should be good.

I hope everyone else is travelling okay and riding the waves. 

Cheers

This morning I had ground beef with sauteed onions mixed into my eggs and some red yellow and orange bell peppers along with black coffee. its aroun 12pm and I'm feeling a bit bloated. I was very tired this morning so I snacked on some olives. I'm normally not this bloated. Strange. I'm sure it will go away.

Hello everyone!

It's been a good day, I haven't had any headache, cravings or feeling hungry. I actually started last Friday Nov 1st so this is day 4 for me. I'm so glad to be a part of this group. Support is such an important part of this for me.

I'll give my health notes. I'm about 60# overweight UGH!, I've done weight watchers multiple times with success but it always comes back on before I have achieved my goal weight. I would love for many many reasons to get to a healthy BMI.

I'm 55 & have had hypertension for over 10 years, luckily my blood sugars are always within normal range but unfortunately I've suffered the aches pains and exhaustion of fibromyalgia. I have been feeling a bit better with vitamin D therapy and getting a CPAP. I have migraines off & on but not as badly as when I was premenopausal

I knew each of those ailments I have listed are probably related more to poor eating and processed food than anything else. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired so here I am!!

I hope we can all succeed and enjoy the fruits of our labor!

Thanks so much! Marianne

So I guess we post our meals here? Correct me if I'm wrong. I spent Sunday morning cooking for the week. My fridge is full of goodness!

M1 - breakfast casserole - eggs, sausage, spinach, sweet potatoes, onions, olive oil, coconut milk, coffee w/coconut milk

M2 - cauliflower/carrot soup - just the veggies, sautéed onions in olive oil, vegetable broth and mixed greens with bacon bits, olive oil and lemon juice

M3 - leftover stew - beef, zucchini, olives, tomatoes, onions

Yum!!

I am glad to see all the support here, if anyone needs to talk or help with inspiration I'm open. My first 30 was amazing, I felt strong and even though it was tough I made it. Probably the biggest accomplishment/goal I have ever done because food has always been a comfort. I gradually got back many bad habits and have had a hard time finding that passion I had the first time. I got through today and have set myself up for tomorrow. We can all do this!!

How did everyone go on first couple of days? I found the food part of it surprisingly pleasurable - went to the farmers market and splurged on fruits and vegetables and organic meats etc. Maybe over shopped a bit because my fridge is bursting at the seams! Enjoyed everything i ate, had no cravings .... Guess I was experiencing the first 2 day high and then last night came down with a crash!

So last night my stomach kind of popped - went into the cinema with a friend feeling fine and came out feeling hot, irritable and like my jeans had shrunk! I dont know if anyone has allergies but it was the same feeling I get if I eat wheat - bloated and out of sorts. Came home and drank some peppermint tea and went to sleep. Woke at 3 with stomach pains - which felt like extreme hunger so I ate a banana which worked. Went back to sleep and have woken up with a very pesky black dog beside me?

Does that metaphor work in the rest of the world? In Australia one way of referring to depression is as the 'back dog'. Its a holiday here today and a beautiful spring day outside and I am struggling to think of anything that I want to do! Ahhhh ... I get this feeling if i eat badly (sugar, alcohol, wheat etc) but wasn't expecting it from eating well. I am guessing its gut related (most of our serotonin is made in our guts).

I think i will throw myself in the shower and go for a long walk and hopefully that will shake the feeling. That made me laugh - Im going to take the pesky black dog for a walk! And worse case scenario I feel blue for a day - not the end of the world. I do meditation and have a group tonight so as long as i make myself attend all should be good.

I hope everyone else is travelling okay and riding the waves.

Cheers

I'm Australian and have no idea what the black dog thing is!!

Digestive issues are quite common, especially in the first week or so. It could have been something you've eaten, or just your body reacting to a change in diet. If you need to have a snack, because you're starving, a mini meal with protein, fat and vegies over fruit

Including plenty of fats and starchy vegies is generally good for improving energy and moods - hope you feel better soon!

Archived