Starting Monday Nov 4th !

Girltony

My team has a lunch outing planned.... Thinking of my options here for M2 maybe "salmon and veggies" or salad

Are you following the vegetarian version of the whole 30? Combining both shopping lists isn't recommended - do one or the other. If you eat fish, you can do the normal version eating just fish and eggs for protein!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new here, and I also started yesterday (4th Nov). So far so good. The only thing I am REALLY missing is a hot drink! I cannot drink black tea or coffee :wacko: no matter how hard I try. I have Rosacea so I am hoping this will help my skin.

Had crap breakfast because of early work start/issues: Matcha tea with 1/2tsp coconut oil, banana then about two hours later an apple and some flaked poached salmon. 

M2: Chicken/pumpkin/cauliflower soup (I've made a batch for the week).

Amae, good luck this time around, I hope it helps you cement some of the better habits you found last time.

I am new here, and I also started yesterday (4th Nov). So far so good. The only thing I am REALLY missing is a hot drink! I cannot drink black tea or coffee :wacko: no matter how hard I try. I have Rosacea so I am hoping this will help my skin.

Who said you have to drink it black?!?

Try coconut milk, or even better, blend your coffee or tea with coconut oil and/or ghee. I prefer just coconut oil, it's yum!

Hi everyone,

Hope day 1 was great for everybody with minimal struggles.  Apart from a slight headache around 5 pm that actually stopped after drinking several glasses of water, day 1 wasn't bad at all.  I was worried about lack of energy during an evening run but was pleasantly surprised at how much longer and harder I could go. 

I also yo yo a lot in weight and in the past 2 years, I have steadily been on the rise partly because of my job that involves a lot of travel and simply stress eating.  But these are not good excuses so I am hoping that this program actually helps me adapt to a healthy lifestyle. The added bonus of extra energy is definitely a plus.

Happy Day 2 to all and thank you for your support. 

S

Hi guys,

I'm doing fine so far. I'm struggling with eating enough I think. I made a big batch of chili on Sunday and it is already low, maybe I should have doubled the recipe. I also made a pack of 4 chicken thighs I had, some roasted cauliflower and carrots; I feel like all of this is not going to last me through the week. I read on Melissa Joulwans blog (Well Fed) that we should be eating between 6-8 cups of vegetables a day, but combined with 4oz protein and a tablespoon or two of fat, this is a LOT of food to me. Do I need to go grocery shopping every other day?? I can't afford that! Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Izabella

I'm joining today-- I ate W30 up until dinner last night and met a friend for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, so today will be my first full day.

I started a couple weeks ago, but didn't make it through the "Kill All the Things" stage. I started crying like a toddler and I went off on my husband all because I had a craving for pumpkin cider-- I know, ridiculous. But here I am again, determined to make it through (even Thanksgiving).

Day 1 - even with being on the road for work - went well!

Day 2 - so far so good. Eating real food makes me realized how silly I was for slipping back into old habits.

The hardest thing about this eating lifestyle is that I start to dread the weekends to a point. Saturday is my day to go to the farmer's market and then grocery shop. And Sunday is food prep day and it just seems like a burden after several weeks of things revolving all around food! Anyone else feel this way?

I need to locate and use some crockpot recipes - leftovers would be GREAT!

@salemsister: I plan what I'm going to eat, shop one night during the week after work and cook everything Sunday morning. Saturdays are usually eat whatever produce is left from the week. When I cook, I blast the music and go at it. I've spent anywhere from 2-4 hours, depending on complexity, and I have a blast!

It doesn't feel like everything revolves around food for me. Maybe try looking at the cooking as fun and pat yourself on the back for doing something good for yourself? I don't know. For me, if I change my outlook to the positive side, everything falls into place.

There are a lot of crock pot, casserole type recipes out there.

I woke up this morning with a migraine, still managed to ignore the chocolate muffins at work though so yay me!  The problem with where I work is that there are always cakes in the staffroom every day :(  My resolve must hold....!

If anyone wants some thing different for a snack or breakfast have you tried banana pancakes?  1 banana and two eggs beaten together and done in a little oil. I put cinnamon in too to give them a little extra taste. The greener the banana the better I find, not so sweet either.  I serve them with some grass-fed butter (so I get that yummy fat) and they keep me going from a 6.30am start to an 11.30am lunch.

I got that from a paleo website but it works a treat when I cannot face eggs first thing.  I rely on a recipe book I got off kindle for most of my food and it seems to be working.  The key is to plan otherwise you spend all evening grazing... I used to do that!

Day 3 and all going well on the food front.  Re-read ISWF and changed the amount of vegies I am eating - heaps more!   Today I am feeling a bit sluggish and sore.  Last night I played touch football on the beach with work mates.....perhaps not the best Idea I have ever had.  Decided that a gentle jog / walk is a better option at this stage in my journey.

I am also feeling a little bit down today.  I know this is just my body getting rid of all the crap that I have been feeding it over the past month and that in a few days I will be feeling a lot better. 

Considering starting a journal of my thoughts and feelings - I think this may help.  Especially when I look back in a few months time!

For those of you who are starting their 1st Whole 30.  Things will be a lot easier.  If you have not done so already, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND subscribing to the Whole 30 daily - you will get an email at the end of every day and believe me they help!

I woke up this morning with a migraine, still managed to ignore the chocolate muffins at work though so yay me!  The problem with where I work is that there are always cakes in the staffroom every day :(  My resolve must hold....!

If anyone wants some thing different for a snack or breakfast have you tried banana pancakes?  1 banana and two eggs beaten together and done in a little oil. I put cinnamon in too to give them a little extra taste. The greener the banana the better I find, not so sweet either.  I serve them with some grass-fed butter (so I get that yummy fat) and they keep me going from a 6.30am start to an 11.30am lunch.

I got that from a paleo website but it works a treat when I cannot face eggs first thing.  I rely on a recipe book I got off kindle for most of my food and it seems to be working.  The key is to plan otherwise you spend all evening grazing... I used to do that!

Dont worry Kath, very soon you wont even feel  like those cakes and muffins.  The thought of them will make you feel sick :)  

Hi guys,

I'm doing fine so far. I'm struggling with eating enough I think. I made a big batch of chili on Sunday and it is already low, maybe I should have doubled the recipe. I also made a pack of 4 chicken thighs I had, some roasted cauliflower and carrots; I feel like all of this is not going to last me through the week. I read on Melissa Joulwans blog (Well Fed) that we should be eating between 6-8 cups of vegetables a day, but combined with 4oz protein and a tablespoon or two of fat, this is a LOT of food to me. Do I need to go grocery shopping every other day?? I can't afford that! Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Izabella

I try and shop as little as possible but our fridge won't fit a weeks worth of fresh produce! I tend to go 2-3 times a week to get vegies.

I'd be aiming for 8-9 cups of vegies a day - this is about what you need just to get the nutrients to maintain good health. You need more if you workout to compensate for the stress you do to your body. (Considering you lose nutrients when you cooks lot of your food, you should probably be eating even more...)

Great day today no cravings no serious hunger issues. Now I remember how important fat was to my success before. Half an avocado with breakfast and lunch, coconut oil in my morning coffee. I did wake up with a headache this morning but a glass of lemon water first thing took care of that. Signed up to start boot camp next week, the last few years with all mt thyroid issues doing more than walking a few miles was tough. I am nervous but excited about this next step

On the 8-9 cups of veggies thing - I'm trying to keep this journey as simple as possible. I make a lot of casseroles and also cook up something quick for dinner here and there. I add a salad to lunch and dinner and figure I'm doing fine.

For instance, yesterday M1 was a casserole with eggs, veggies. M2 was paleo lasagne (loaded with vegs) and mixed greens salad. M3 was sautéed chicken, sweet potato fries and mixed greens salad.

Do I need to start measuring everything? That will complicate things and probably throw me off the ease of eating this way.

Good morning everyone!

Day 5. Still feeling not wonderful. I went from vegan to paleo a month ago and now doing whole30. It's been a HUGE transition. I had to get off a vegan diet (did it for 2 years) at doctor's orders. Here I thought I was doing something great for myself and wasn't. Vegan works well for some but none of us are the same, so....epic fail for me.

It was not cool for my conscience to make this change but I found US Wellness meats and feel a bit better about what I'm eating. I had already joined a co-op for organic produce, which is great. Before the switch to paleo, I had high blood sugars, my hair was a mess, and my skin was so dry. My B12 and vitamin D levels were very low. I will be curious to see what the labs show next time I have them done.

I had already given up dairy and after reading about the effects of grain and legumes (major staples in a vegan diet) I can't imagine how long it may take for me to feel that "spark" but I will be patient. Here's hoping to feeling better soon!

On the 8-9 cups of veggies thing - I'm trying to keep this journey as simple as possible. I make a lot of casseroles and also cook up something quick for dinner here and there. I add a salad to lunch and dinner and figure I'm doing fine.

For instance, yesterday M1 was a casserole with eggs, veggies. M2 was paleo lasagne (loaded with vegs) and mixed greens salad. M3 was sautéed chicken, sweet potato fries and mixed greens salad.

Do I need to start measuring everything? That will complicate things and probably throw me off the ease of eating this way.

You definitely don't need to measure everything - just do as the template suggests and load up your plate with vegies after you've put your protein on the plate. Literally fill the plate!

I can eat mountains of vegies - my salads and stirfrys don't fit in much less than a serving bowl, and I'll quite happily eat a small head of broccoli, a zucchini, pile of mushrooms, and some sweet potato with eggs for breakfast...I don't need to worry so much about measuring :P

Archived