1st Whole30 - breaking up is hard to do

LynnWinWA

Today marks Day #9 of my first Whole 30. Overall, I am thrilled to do doing this for myself, and my boyfriend is as well, so having that support is great.

My motivation to do the Whole30 is to improve my health, and hopefully lose some of the weight that my friends seem to think is normal to gain in your mid-30's (I don't think this is 'normal'!). I also recently learned I have arthritis in my left knee. As a former long-distance runner (more on that in another post perhaps), cutting back/out running is devastating. While my marathon days are likely over, I would like to be able to run for the rest of my life in some capacity. Managing weight, inflammation and arthritis will be key.

Now that I'm [nearly] a third of the way through, some of the old cravings I used to get have started to drastically decrease. But breaking up is hard to do! I miss lattes and mochas. Sure, I can still have coffee and tea, but there's something about a hot latte or mocha on a cold, crisp morning that warms me up. Luckily I am feeling alert and energetic, so it's more of a mental thing.

Office treats are also hard. I have always known that on days I work from home, I eat much better. Now that I am making a conscious effort and committed to the Whole30, I am much more aware of (and avoid) the treats. They are everywhere!

Thankfully I love to cook, and have been doing A LOT of that over the two weeks. I have a good base going I think at this point, and I'm feeling more comfortable branching out with my foods. But my old ways/habits are there, and it's a hard habit to break, especially when marketing, etc, is so in your face with the stuff I used to have and am now avoiding. 

I love sharing/receiving recipes! Breakfast seems to be the hardest meal for me. I am pressed for time in the morning, or workout before work, and need something that is minimal to no prep. Any good breakfast suggestions? I'm not a huge egg fan, but do hard boiled eggs, or eggs disguised with lots of other goodies (meat, veggies, etc).

I have been reticent to jump on the Forum, but would love to connect with some like minded Whole30 warriors. Here's to the next 21 days -- and beyond!

Best,

Lynn

I know you said you are not a huge fan of eggs, but these eggs muffins are mixed with veggies and you could also mix in ground meat or chopped sausage and decrease the amount of egg used. Egg muffins are very portable. Also, scotch eggs are another portable option. Sorry, I love eggs so I don't have any non-egg portable breakfast ideas for ya. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

http://www.lesleywgraham.com/2013/06/whole30-egg-muffins.html

Personally I have never been a huge breakfast fan, so I eat things that I might eat for any other meal.  I find breakfast the hardest meal to prepare since I have to get up so early and commute 60-80 miles depending the day.  So sliced chicken or steak is packed in my bag for breakfast. I get tired of eggs too. 

Today's Whole30 email was spot on! I feel like I have been a slave to the kitchen. For all good reasons of coruse, but I am a bit anxious to get into the groove where I don't feel like the planning is so time consuming. This will happen, right?!

Mentally, I feel much greater clarity than before I started Whole30, and also that my energy and moods are much more consistent, rather that roller coaster-ish. All of this makes wonder what exactly is in the crap that is processed and packaged and the impact it has on on our bodies and brains.

In other news, last night I roasted my *first* spaghetti squash. How much fun is that?! Taking a fork to the roasted squash is like magic and so much fun! I can't say that I really tasted anything that impacted the flavor of what I put on top, but knowing that I was getting the extra veggies was a bonus.post-36156-0-82919900-1382633814_thumb.j

This morning I made a breakfast stiry fry, which a great way to mix things up. Since breakfast seems to be my most challenging meal to put a menu to, I am grateful for this idea, and the egg muffins that were suggested yesterday. I will definitely be making those this weekend.

Here's to Day 10!

It will get so much easier that you don't have to think so much.  I find that by making a huge container of salsa (I can get you the recipe, it's great!), mayo (Well Fed), ghee, and salad dressing (Well Fed Creamy Italian). 

If I keep those things on hand then other things just come together easier for me.  I also know that it is just as easy to bake 6 chicken breast as it is for one.  I make my proteins in bulk and the veggies just come together easier for dinner.  Not as much cooking and stress about what you are going to cook. If you cook your proteins with simple seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder) then you can put it with some other veggies later and add more specific seasonings to give it a different taste and texture.  

I make a large salad as a base, then add to it whatever I want.  Some days it more ingredients and the protein eaten with it and others it is separate containers like a meal. Frozen veggie medleys help too.  Thank you Green Giant! 

Bulk cooking as others have suggested has made it easier on me.  I'm on day twelve so I know what you mean about cooking all the time. I love to cook so I don't mind as much.   

I hope that helps.  It does get easier, the first week I had elaborate things planned and then I remembered I had a job and life. 

Hi - When I first started, I made 5 breakfasts on Sunday to grab on my way to work each day during the week.  They were either HB eggs, massaged kale salad, sweet potato with coconut butter or tuna salad with avocado eaten with carrot and celery sticks.  Both meals kept 5 days and it meant I didn't have to do any prep in the mornings.  I also do a lot of other prep on Sunday, trying to have as much as possible cooked or at least chopped for the week.  It's a huge time saver!

Good luck!

Thanks Shannon and jpena! Shannon, I'd love the salsa recipe! Thankfully I will be home this weekend and can devote some time to more food prep for next week than I was able to last weekend when I was out of town.

Today I'm finding myself craving/missing sugar. At least I know this is a big NO, so I'm trying to distract myself. Trying to slay the sugar dragon!

I'm on day 8 and fortunately love eggs, but time pressures can make cooking difficult. I've been making a little extra dinner and having it the next morning, a little steak and sweet potatoes this morning, yum. Good luck!

Sorry Lynn, I was MIA this weekend, it was my bday and I decided not to have anything to do with the computer.  I will find the recipe and get it to you for the salsa.  I can tell you what you will need but I can't remember the amounts.  1 Can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice, lime juice, cilantro, garlic powder, onion, salt, pepper, all spice (I personally put very little, I don't like the taste of allspice). 

I will look tonight to see the amounts.  :-)

Salsa Ingredients

• 15 oz crushed fire roasted tomatoes with juice, we used Muir Glen brand
  • 1 t granulated garlic
  • 3 T pickled jalapeno slices (about 12) optional
  • 1 medium onion cut into pieces to fit in the processor
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 3/4 t allspice
  • 2 handfuls cilantro

Put in a food processor or blender and blend to the consistency of your liking!  Easy!  Again, I would back off on the allspice if you don't like the taste.  I think it makes it taste a little funny. You can play around with it to your liking, but it makes great and easy salsa!

Thanks angelajl for the addtional breakfast idea! Made it this morning and it's a great addition to my 'new' breakfast repertoire!

And Shannon, thanks for the salsa recipe! I agree that allspice seems like an unusual addition to the salsa receipe, maybe I will go with cumin, which is hands down my fave spice.

Overall, I am noticing that I feel great after 2 weeks on Whole30. I'm resisting the urge to weigh myself, but as my clothes are fitting better (as opposed to being on the tight side like they were before), I'm feeling great about that result, in addition to the other benefits I'm feeling with my body. Two more weeks to go, and then adding some things back in to see what works and what doesn't and equalize. But I alrady know for the most part there are many aspects to Whole30 that I want to continue. Luckily my boyfriend does too. WIN!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 24! In less than 24 hours now I have had two people at work ask me about my eating choices, food, etc. I love being am ambassador for this lifestyle! And I prefer to call it that rather than a diet, program or something else. Because it truly, in my opinion, is a lifestyle.

Next week I guess the Whole30 will technically be over, but this lifestyle will not be. There will certainly be occasions over the holidays where I will enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie, I truly feel like some of the temptations are much easier to resist, now that I know how good I can and will feel if I forgo them.

This week I haven't put as much time into my meal prep, but have found with the tools from the last couple of week and some of the great people who have contributed above, I have been able to keep up with less work and prep. Not that it will be the case all the time, but there are some weeks where it's harder, and it feels good to know I can still stick to how I want to fuel my body.

Archived