Day 23, off track with larabars, not seeing results, start over?

mamabec

Hello, this is my first post and I am on day 23 of my first whole 30.  At first I was doing awesome and was very strict.  After 2 weeks, I started snacking a little- mostly almond butter or coconut manna, giving myself the excuse that I am breastfeeding.  Truthfully, my "baby" is 17 months old and I do not believe I need much extra food to keep up my milk suppy since it is so established and she is also eating three meals of solids a day.  She has never given me any indication that she is not getting enough milk.  Anyway, my initial reason for doing this was to beat my sugar addiction, and of course to lose a little weight and get healthier.  My husband brought home a bunch of Larabars for my 3 year old, and long story short, I ate FOUR of them today :/.  This is just the type of behavior I wanted to kick to the curb with this whole 30.  Now I feel like its day 23 and I am still obviously struggling, and that is frustrating.  Also, I do not appear to have lost much weight which is frustrating as well.  I have maybe 5 lbs to lose so I know its not just going to fly off, but I was hoping for my belly to look flatter- I still look totally bloated.  Should I start over?  Is my whole 30 not working for me?

Hmmm.  Are you able to list out a couple days meals for people to look at and analyse?

1st note:  Nuts will often bloat people.  So not an ideal fat source. 

2nd note: Sometimes it takes longer than 30 days to get better.  Be patient.

3rd note: Focus on the things that have improved rather than ALL of your success put on some number that is on a scale.  Are you sleeping better?  Have more energy?  Skin clearer? What are positives?

Carla has made some good points - have you considered continuing after 30 days? Extending may help you get better results and form better habits.

If you are feeding, and want to continue, you probably need a little extra nutrition....snacking on fruit and nuts isn't the right way to go, as you've discovered!! Perhaps plan 4 meals a day - all template meals with protein, fats and vegies. This will hopefully eliminate your need for a snack and get your habit under control.

Just because your milk supply is established, doesn't mean you don't need extra calories to keep producing that supply. 17 month-olds can drink a lot! If you're constantly feeling the need to snack, I think that's a pretty good sign your body is asking for more food. Try increasing your meal sizes and see if that helps, you really should be eating enough to tide you over until the next meal. If you need to snack, try and snack on something that will really satiate you - nuts and larabars tend not to in my experience! Try a hard boiled egg and some carrot or something :)

Thanks for the replies.  I am not really snacking because I am hungry, that is part of the problem.  Its just a mental thing.  If my body was telling me it was hungry, I would definitely eat.  Unfortunately, that has never been a problem for me, I am always eating for reasons other than hunger :(.  I have definitely considered continuing after 30 days.  As long as I finish up before Thanksgiving, I am happy... For meals, I think I am doing ok.  Breakfast is always eggs and veggies cooked in coconut or olive oil (I alternate).  Sometimes I also have an orange with breakfast, but not always.  Lunch is usually a big salad with lots of veg and either turkey or roast beef with olive oil and balsamic for dressing.  Dinner varies- last night was grilled chicken with loads of grilled veg in olive oil and red wine vinegar- the veggies were red pepper, red onion, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes.  I do salmon and asparagus roasted in olive oil.  I do heated yoga and was getting a little lightheaded earlier in the 30, so now I have been eating some sweet potatoes roasted in coconut oil like 3 hours before I go (you can't eat closer to doing hot yoga or you won't feel good).  At night is usually when the snack cravings are bad, and that is when I go for the almond butter.  I really do think that is totally habitual.  I have not felt hungry or unsatisfied during the whole 30.  I have actually felt like I was eating a lot.  I should mention I am a fairly small person, only 5'1".  Last time I weighed myself (day 11, I know I shouldn't have), I weighed 116.  I think an ideal weight for my small frame is probably around 112.  That is where I was naturally in my early 20s.  Now I am 30 and have had 2 kids in the past 3 years, so maybe my hopes as to how my belly will look are just a bit unrealistic.  I am fine with that if that is the case, I do appreciate what my body has gone through.  I just feel so close to that old weight, I wish I could get there.  But I know its about SOOO much more than the scale.  My energy has improved.  Unfortunately, I am still up with my little one several times a night so the sleep isn't great, but I'm hoping that doesn't mess me up too much.  My hope after this is to transition to paleo or gluten free at a minimum.  I have already been dairy free for over a year due do my daughter's allergy, so that is a non issue.  What do you all think?  Sorry if I sound like a whiner!!

I would extend my whole 30, and work really hard on listening to your body  in terms of hunger/cravings. try to break the habit - perhaps form new habits to occupy you at night when the grazer comes out?

it sounds like you're relying on cooking oil a lot for fats - the problem here is that most will be left in the pan! you could try adding some fat after cooking, like avocado, mayo, coconut milk in coffee/tea or sauces etc.

if you're exercising, you need proper pre and postWO meals. they're outlined on the template - preWO is fat and protein, postWO is lean protein and starchy vegie carbs with little to no fat. instead of having the sweet potato before yoga, include it with your meals, or have it with some lean protein postWO (baked plain, without the coconut oil)

Thanks for your advice. I will extend it to try to get things under control. I can do more coconut milk. Avocado is out for me bc of my daughter's allergies. That is a bummer bc I love them. Also, I will add the pre and post yoga meals. I wasn't really considering that a workout that required the meals but maybe it would help and I'll just keep them small.

Archived