Reintro - Chocolate

Cathlana

My last day is tomorrow, day 30!  However I am finding that I think I want to keep many of the things out of my diet, one of which is soy. However I find that in all chocolate, soy lethicin is in it. I was curious to the forums thoughts on it. How bad is it? Also, should I rather go for a dairy free chocolate which seems to be only cocoa butter? But is that better or worse?

I also figured out, to what I think, that carrageenan bothers my stomach! :o

I also think I am going to limit sugar, by a lot. I'll allow honey here and there, but keep it to fruits. I dont need my condiments and meats to have sugar in them. It seems like a useless additive!

Lastly, thank you for everyone's support! This is a great forum!

YES this is what I was talking about! I saw these at the store. Is it better to do these for non-soy, non-dairy? I mean I wouldnt mind the dairy but I really do not want the soy. Is cocoa butter alright? And why is it preferred over regular chocolate?

Thanks so much!

I rarely eat chocolate, but if I do I either make my own (cacao, cocoa butter and honey) or buy a good quality organic dark one with cacao, cocoa butter and organic sugar. They are definitely available without dairy and without soy lechitin

Cocoa butter is in regular chocolate. They just add all the other stuff too.

Thank you EVERYONE!!! This has been very informative in learning about chocolate :) 

@amberino21 - So it seems that post whole30 its preferred to avoid dairy in chocolate. Why is dairy added in the first place if the goodness of chocolate is just sugar, cacao and cocoa butter? 

I know I have used cacao powder once during my whole30, I sprinkled it on some mashed banana once since I missed chocolate so much ;) 

Thank you EVERYONE!!! This has been very informative in learning about chocolate :)

@amberino21 - So it seems that post whole30 its preferred to avoid dairy in chocolate. Why is dairy added in the first place if the goodness of chocolate is just sugar, cacao and cocoa butter?

I know I have used cacao powder once during my whole30, I sprinkled it on some mashed banana once since I missed chocolate so much ;)

The same thing could be asked of most processed foods :)

I'd say the biggest reason is cost - cocoa butter isn't cheap, which is probably why a block of Cadbury chocolate (supermarket choc) is a quarter the price of a good quality block. Most commercial chocolate will have dairy and sugar first on the ingredient list, whereas a good quality block of dark will be cocoa butter, cacao with sugar last.

This will also likely makes the taste more appealing to a wider market, so more is eaten/bought. The high sugar is addictive too...probably why you could easily eat a big block in one sitting whereas a square or two of good quality choc would satisfy you.

• 2 months later...

I rarely eat chocolate, but if I do I either make my own (cacao, cocoa butter and honey) or buy a good quality organic dark one with cacao, cocoa butter and organic sugar. They are definitely available without dairy and without soy lechitin

Cocoa butter is in regular chocolate. They just add all the other stuff too.

Do you have a recipe for the chocolate you make yourself?

Archived