Vegetable Sickness

amysue7

I'm only on day 4 and I'm already sick of vegetables. Literally, I'm trying to eat some and they are making me feel sick. I know this is all in my head. I'm even eating veggies that I haven't eaten yet and that are roasted and in season. Is this normal?

I'm sorry I don't have very good advice. I love veggies and can't get enough.  My only advice is to try different veggies, different methods of preparation, different fats/seasonings.  Maybe some variety will help?  Good luck!

I've had sauteed spinach with olive oil and seasonings, steamed green beans, steamed broccoli, sauteed green and red peppers, sauteed escarole with olive oil and seasonings. I've also had salads with red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, broccoli, steamed asparagus and walnuts. Today I had a mixture of roasted vegetables (zucchini, onion, green pepper and carrots) with olive oil and seasonings. So...tried many different types of veggies and have used seasonings that include both fresh and dry herbs. I've also used balsamic vinegar. I have a very busy schedule so there's little time to prepare. It will be this way for a while. Therefore it has to be pretty easy.

Where are your starchies? I'd definitely add in some of those.

Steaming vegies is one of the blandest ways to cook vegies, and an easy way to over cook vegies. What about a stir fry?

Vegie curry? Ratatouille? These could be prepared in bulk to save time.

Vegie soups are quick and easy too, and also a great way to prepare a few meals at a time.

I went thru a little funk and I leaned on homemade butternut soup with extra veg (carrot, onion, celery, zucchini) added in and all blended up.

I also did several meals of fajitas, sauté some sliced beef in coconut oil,season with salt, pepper and cumin and fresh squeezed lime, cook thru. Remove to bowl then add a little more oil add sliced onion and bell pepper ( mushrooms and squash...whatever else you want) sauté. Add beef , toss it all together add more lime. Serve over lettuce with a big dollop of guac.

Guac fixes everything :-)

It's very easy to microwave a sweet potato. Pierce it all over with a fork beforehand. If it's small, microwave a total of 4 minutes, rotating half way through. Large sweet potato: 8 minutes total. Cut open and top with ghee, clarified butter or paleo mayo. Quick and tasty.

Jicama is another easy starchy veg. Peel, cut and done. You can eat plain or squeeze fresh lime juice on slices and toss with spices of choice.

Sliced bell peppers - red, yellow, or green - dipped in paleo mayo or guacamole.

Sauerkraut - scoop out of a jar - doesn't get easier than that.

Sometimes by just mixing your veggies and proteins together can help that.  I make chicken and veggie curry (onions, red bell pepper, zuchini, broccoli)  I get tired of veggies too.  I think the best thing to do is add different types of seasoning to your veggies each time and not add the same blends so you don't get tired of the exact same tastes. I don't know about you but I love variety.  I even make a paleo dip and eat my veggies raw to mix it up.  Make a broccoli salad, or cucumber salad, whatever you can find that is compliant. 

I also change how I cook them to keep it interesting.  Sometimes roasted, other times sauteed. Etc etc. I have to keep it interesting in order for me to keep eating them.   

I made a crustless quiche/baked frittata today using leftover roasted cauli and broccoli and some fresh chopped tomatoes. Also added some crumbled leftover beef burgers. It was fab. Easy to eat as I cut it into loads of squares. 

Here's a photo for you

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1393960_10151976194231763_612598274_n.jpg

I can relate to how you feel and don't really have much advice as I don't really like too many vegetables either.  I did make a green chile stew last night that had chicken broth, shredded pork, onions (which I usually don't like), garlic, green chiles, and I added some carrot and parsnip, and it also had a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and I don't really like cooked tomatoes either.  I wish the sugar free bacon was easier to find and not so expensive because veggies roasted with bacon are killer!

Kim

Where are your starchies? I'd definitely add in some of those.

Steaming vegies is one of the blandest ways to cook vegies, and an easy way to over cook vegies. What about a stir fry?

Vegie curry? Ratatouille? These could be prepared in bulk to save time.

Vegie soups are quick and easy too, and also a great way to prepare a few meals at a time.

I've been eating sweet potatoes as well. I'm not really sure of any other starches I'm allowed. Stir fry is a great idea, only my recipe for the sauce contains brown sugar so I'll have to find a new one. I love the idea of vegetable soups. I think I might have to make a pot of that and then I can add different meats throughout the week. Thank you so much!

I went thru a little funk and I leaned on homemade butternut soup with extra veg (carrot, onion, celery, zucchini) added in and all blended up.

I also did several meals of fajitas, sauté some sliced beef in coconut oil,season with salt, pepper and cumin and fresh squeezed lime, cook thru. Remove to bowl then add a little more oil add sliced onion and bell pepper ( mushrooms and squash...whatever else you want) sauté. Add beef , toss it all together add more lime. Serve over lettuce with a big dollop of guac.

Love guac and fajitas. Great idea. Thank you!

Guac is a wonderful thing! Thank you!

I made a crustless quiche/baked frittata today using leftover roasted cauli and broccoli and some fresh chopped tomatoes. Also added some crumbled leftover beef burgers. It was fab. Easy to eat as I cut it into loads of squares. 

Here's a photo for you

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1393960_10151976194231763_612598274_n.jpg

Wow! This looks amazing! Thank you. Would you please share the recipe?

I can relate to how you feel and don't really have much advice as I don't really like too many vegetables either.  I did make a green chile stew last night that had chicken broth, shredded pork, onions (which I usually don't like), garlic, green chiles, and I added some carrot and parsnip, and it also had a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and I don't really like cooked tomatoes either.  I wish the sugar free bacon was easier to find and not so expensive because veggies roasted with bacon are killer!

Kim

Anything with bacon would be killer, right? Thanks!

I've been eating sweet potatoes as well. I'm not really sure of any other starches I'm allowed. Stir fry is a great idea, only my recipe for the sauce contains brown sugar so I'll have to find a new one. I love the idea of vegetable soups. I think I might have to make a pot of that and then I can add different meats throughout the week. Thank you so much!

You can have any starchy vegetable. Besides sweet potato, that would include carrots, onions, acorn squash, butternut squash, beets, jicama, parsnips, and rutabaga.

I still have veggies left over that I roasted during my first whole30, and I am on day 43 now - so I understand.  Unfortunately, I think it is part of the learning process, or self-discipline process.  I found myself leaning too heavily on sweet potatoes.  I agree with incorporating the veggies into the rest of the meal, in the sauce, for example.

Wow! This looks amazing! Thank you. Would you please share the recipe?

It's difficult to share as I just made it from leftovers.  Here goes

I adapted a basic 'Cumin Roasted Cauliflower' recipe by using broccoli florets as well and using Herbes de Provence instead of cumin, and ghee instead of oil and butter.

I made some burgers with good lean mince, chopped onion, tomato paste and smoked paprika. Cooked them all and saved two for my 'quiche'.

I oiled a silicone baking dish, put in the leftover cauli/broccoli mix, crumbled in the burgers, added some chopped tomatoes and topped with seven beaten eggs seasoned with S&P. Bake at 180C which I think is 350-375F/Gas 4 for 20 minutes until set and starting to colour on top. Turn out, cool slightly and cut into strips or squares. 

Enjoy!

EDIT to correct oven temp. 

It's difficult to share as I just made it from leftovers.  Here goes

I adapted a basic 'Cumin Roasted Cauliflower' recipe by using broccoli florets as well and using Herbes de Provence instead of cumin, and ghee instead of oil and butter.

I made some burgers with good lean mince, chopped onion, tomato paste and smoked paprika. Cooked them all and saved two for my 'quiche'.

I oiled a silicone baking dish, put in the leftover cauli/broccoli mix, crumbled in the burgers, added some chopped tomatoes and topped with seven beaten eggs seasoned with S&P. Bake at 180C which I think is 200F/Gas 4 for 20 minutes until set and starting to colour on top. Turn out, cool slightly and cut into strips or squares. 

Enjoy!

Thank you so much!

Archived