Too much fat?

trezkholl0806

Hey guys, couldn't find a post for this so I started one... Anyway, how much is "too much" fat? I'm thinking I might be eating too much.  Do you count your cooking oil as the fat for that meal? Or eat extra?

Example (breakfast this morning):

3 scrambled eggs (coconut oil in pan)

2 c veggies (coconut oil)

1/2 avocado w/ grape tomatoes

Chimichurri drizzled over (made w/ olive oil)

Thanks for your help!

Great thread topic. The far portions confuse me as well. I just don't get the "thumb" concept.

I get the 1/2 avocado or two fists olives. I just don't get the melt able/liquid volumes and if they are added to the meal in cooking -if they count toward the deficit.

Looking forward to expert input and grateful you asked!

I consider my thumb to be approximately one tablespoon of oil. That would be the minimum. I'm not sure what would constitute "too much fat". When feeling nauseous?

Fat keeps me satiated, reduces cravings dramatically and keeps me happy, so I really don't put limits on it.

• Moderators

Cooking oils just about don't count towards fat in a meal because a lot of it stays in the pan when you are finished cooking. You need to make sure that you are eating foods that include fat or add some.

The sample meal you gave is perfectly fine on the amount of fat. You could eat a little more or a little less and be fine. 

I think your meal looks great - I don't count all of the cooking fat as most is left in the pan.

Does your meal satisfy you, though? Do you feel good after eating it, and does it last you til lunch? Do you get hungry in the afternoons?

Instead of worrying about it, listen to your body - it'll tell you whether it's a good amount or not :)

Check out the Low Carb High Fat diet. I just got the cookbook for it, and they LOAD their meals with fat, but limit carbs even more than w30 (like you aren't even supposed to eat root veggies at all and no fruit but small amounts of berries). The author of the cookbook is pictured in the back wearing a pair of his "before" pants. Both his legs fit into one of the pant legs. He's literally half as big as he was. Each meal is full of mayo, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, or heavy cream.  I got the cook book because other than using butter and heavy cream a lot, it's totally whole30 compliant (and I'm not actually doing a whole30, I just like eating pretty close to whole30 all the time, and I LOOOOOVE me some heavy cream)

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the fat recommended per meal in the pdf "Meal plannnig template", is it recommended to take all that amounts (1-2 thumbs of oils/fats + 1-2 thumbs of butter + 1-2 open handfulls of coconut + ... + 1/4 - 1/2 of a can of coconut milk), or just one of those (or proportional combinations of)?

Regarding the fat recommended per meal in the pdf "Meal plannnig template", is it recommended to take all that amounts (1-2 thumbs of oils/fats + 1-2 thumbs of butter + 1-2 open handfulls of coconut + ... + 1/4 - 1/2 of a can of coconut milk), or just one of those (or proportional combinations of)?

No, definitely not all of the suggestions added together! Chose one, or, as you said, proportional combinations of more than one.

The template suggests 1-2 serves of fat per meal. You need to eat enough to keep you satisfied until your next meal - that may be more than two serves!

Don't worry too much about the meat - if you're eating a variety of meats, the fat content will differ and some meals may have considerably less fat from the meat than others.

Your meals also will differ - a big breakfast may set you up for a great day, and your other meals will likely have less fat. Fat is not a bad thing! Eat until you're satisfied, eat enough to get you through to your next meal! :)

I eat more fat than what is suggested in the meal template. I don't keep close tabs on it - but it's definitely more than 1 thumb, and typically more than 2 thumbs worth at every meal. Fat carries me to the next meal. Without this much fat, I feel hungry 3 hours after a meal. I'm sure I have the occasional meal that is light on fat - but it's a very rare occasion.

I'm with Jillian.  I eat above the fat recommendation often with no ill effects.  The worst that fat will do to you is slow down weight loss if that is one of your goals.  Fat is more calorically dense than many other foods, so it is possible to get too many overall calories that way, but eating it is NOT harmful to your health the way you have been taught.

I read an article that I've referenced before where a man ate 5800 calories per day for a month eating a low carb high fat diet and only gained 3.5 pounds instead of the more than 16 pounds he "should" have. When you eat a lot of carbs, your body releases insulin to force the sugar in your blood into the cells because excess sugar in your blood is very corrosive and inflammatory to the insides of the arteries (leading to plaque deposits that act as a "scab" over lesions on the insides of the artery walls) When the cells already have as much sugar as they need, they start to resist the effects of insulin, causing the body to need to produce more and more of it so that the sugar in your blood is ultimately stored in your fat cells, making them bigger and you fatter. 

Without the effects of insulin storing fat (which is actually sugar!) you can excessively over eat fat and not gain nearly as much weight as you would if you were eating the same number of calories from both high carbs and fat. When you nourish your body correctly and your hormones are in balance, your body will adjust your metabolic rate to reach a place of balance where it is most healthy, which is usually fairly lean and muscular, though not often as stick-thin as modern media says you should be.

I totaly agree with Vian!  I stayed at the same weight, give or take a pound, for the last 6 months and in the last few weeks, I have eaten a lot more carbs and processed foods than before.  My calorie intake has probably been around the same and maybe even a little less than before and I have gained 3 pounds and feel more jiggly!  :wacko:   I was reflecting on the "calorie is a calorie" theory we hear so much about but I I don't believe it and eating this way definitely proves it!

Viva la fat (good fats, that is!)!!!    :D

• 8 months later...

I have found I go well above what the template suggests though some moderators like Tom do support more fat.

for example, I cook veggies and meat in lots of ghee, then add 1/2 avocado to the same meal and at times, when my hunger has been raging over from meal 1 or 2, I'll even drizzle more ghee on top of that meal.

For some people, they prefer more protein but I mix it up where I have extra fat some days or more protein on others in meals.

Sometimes I marvel at how my eating has changed (for the better).

Archived