Competition this Saturday

Cortnie Steoger

I have a crossfit competition this Saturday.  It's going to be a high of 45, rainy, and 20 mph wind.  I've sort of figured out what I want to eat between WODs.  However, since the competition is going to start at 9am it's going to be right around freezing. I've been thinking, it might be really nice to have some hot chicken bone broth with some chunks of sweet potatoes in a thermos to have between the WODs. I'm wondering, would bone broth be a good post workout recovery drink?  

• Moderators

My bone broth includes fat, which would make it a questionable recovery drink if you are going to drink it between sessions. The fat slows digestion and makes your stomach work, diverting energy from other uses. You might want to drink coffee for warmth in the morning and stay with water or coconut water later in the day. 

Broth can be a sodium replenishment option, and in a long event, can be a welcome salty change from coconut water. Broth is handed out on Ironman run courses for that very reason. Maybe bring a variety of options, including broth, and try the broth if you grow tired of sweetness from coconut water.

Archived