Kombucha

katie031

• 6 months later...

Im a big fan of kombucha and wanted to know if the brand Health-Ade is acceptable? Im slightly confused since their page only speaks of the 3 ingredients they use, tea, sugar and water. Im wondering if the sugar is solely used for the fermentation process.

• Administrators

Im a big fan of kombucha and wanted to know if the brand Health-Ade is acceptable? Im slightly confused since their page only speaks of the 3 ingredients they use, tea, sugar and water. Im wondering if the sugar is solely used for the fermentation process.

I would recommend that you drop them a line and ask them if the sugar is used only in the first fermentation or if they also add it for the second. First is fine, second is not.

I know this is an old post and this has been beat to death, but I purchased a GT's Gingeraid Classic Kombucha today (3rd day of Whole30) and they checked to be sure I was 21 when purchasing it, and it specifically says on the bottle that it is considered "beer"...it is currently in the fridge unopened.  Is the consensus that this is still Whole30 approved or have there been any updates in the last year?

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this old topic with a question.

I'd like to give making Kombucha a try,bc I can't stand the alcoholicy taste of waterkefir no matter what recipe I tried.

Recently I've gotten some pure BCAA powder,which I'd like to start using but it tastes really horrible with plain water! So,I was thinking of mixing it possibly with Kombucha to mask the taste?

Does anyone know if this is possible,or that the fermentation process/bacteria have a negative effect on the BCAA's or something else?

(Or migth the BCAA be better absorbed&used bc of the probiotic bacteria?)

I also read that after the basic fermentation,you can do a second fermentation with fruits to add flavor to it and some more sparkles?

• 3 weeks later...

I see many of you drink the GT's brand...are there any other brands you can throw out on here that are typically compliant?  I'll check ingredients on each different kind but I wouldn't mind a push in the right direction!

• 1 year later...

I had been buying GT "enlightened" kombucha at my local Sprouts.  One day I grabbed a "classic" kombucha on my way to work and was buzzed by the time I got there.  Careful!

I SWEAR I felt buzzed after drinking my first one too! I got GT's Passionberry Bliss.  BUT I drank it right after an hour long workout, so I think that had a lot to do with it.  Probably just endorphins or something in my case, but it was the closest to buzzed I've been in a long time lol. Gotta be careful.

I had the second half of the bottle the following day after a meal and felt fine.  Probably was just the empty stomach.

Thanks for asking the question about home-brew! I was thinking of making my own and was concerned about the sugar you add to start the concoction.  I'm on a very strict Whole30 budget, so I can't afford to buy $3+ bottles for every day.  I like how my body reacts to it though :)

Curious if anyone is familiar with Humm Kombucha? I noticed the ingredients listed "organic cane sugar" so I thought it was a no go. Now I'm wondering if that is for the fermentation process or if it is an added sweetener after. I'll have to give them a call.

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2014 at 4:51 PM, jent103 said:

A mod may weigh in with official word, but - to me this sounds like legalese/covering their butts. I doubt they've changed the formula to add alcohol. So I'd guess yes (assuming no added sugar post-ferment) unless a mod says otherwise.

I think it also says not to use it if pregnant or breastfeeding or something

• 2 months later...

GT's Kombucha Class Action Lawsuit

Should we be ticked about this? I saw it a couple of places online and I noticed that so many people on the forum said they felt buzzed after drinking it. I'm not gonna lie, I am on my 2nd to last reintroduction and I'm fuming at the possibility that this could've ruined my Whole30. Does anyone have better resources or more information? Can a moderator weigh in here, please?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, MelindaDee said:

GT's Kombucha Class Action Lawsuit

Should we be ticked about this? I saw it a couple of places online and I noticed that so many people on the forum said they felt buzzed after drinking it. I'm not gonna lie, I am on my 2nd to last reintroduction and I'm fuming at the possibility that this could've ruined my Whole30. Does anyone have better resources or more information? Can a moderator weigh in here, please?

I'm going to say, you read your labels, you followed whole30 rules, this did not ruin your whole30. To some degree, we are at the mercy of food manufacturers, we have to trust that they're telling us the truth. You could drive yourself crazy if you start second guessing what's listed on the label, and that's definitely not the goal of whole30.

If we hear any differently from Melissa in a more official reaction, I'll try to remember to come back and update this thread. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
26 minutes ago, lissaRN said:

I just found this article. So is this now saying GT kombucha is no longer compliant?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/open-lawsuit-settlements/507946-gts-kombucha-class-action-settlement/

This is the same link that is posted directly above your post and discussed by a moderator. 

Edited to add: Here is the link to the standard rules surrounding kombucha and labelling. https://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/

• 1 year later...

I would recommend against making any assumptions that "all" of anything is or is not allowed. Reading labels for every single thing you consume is a good practice so that you always know what you're putting into your body.  

And, sometime product ingredients vary by region. Quite literally, a specific product out West will not have sugar but it does in the Midwest version. And, manufacturers change their ingredients all the time so it really is best to check! 

That being said, this item is compliant, as are the five or six varieties I have tried from them so far. That being said, just make it a habit and always spend the extra few seconds to read about what you're consuming! 

Best wishes to you! 

Thank you! I have been reading labels carefully, but have seen a lot of broad statements on the forums that “GTs” is ok so just wanted to clarify. And also it’s easy to second guess myself when I read ingredients given that the program is still relatively new. Thanks for taking a look, appreciate it!

You will most definitely continue to see lots of statements from people about whether or not something is compliant. You'll find Pinterest boards and blogs and articles and comments about Whole30-compliant items. Some of them are right. Many of them are not. Some are blatantly just trying to take advantage of a successful and popular program. I find that it's best to learn the rules for yourself and always rely on your own judgement!

That being said, the rules can sometimes be difficult to apply and learn all at once so do feel free to ask questions! This is a great community who really do try in earnest to do the right thing! 

Archived