First Whole30 - Day 1!

mandeemus

I am going cravy crazy. I've been eating "Paleo" for about 3 months, but I didn't realize how addicted I am to sugar! I started backsliding on my Paleo diet a couple of weeks ago (hence the quotation marks). That's what made me decide to do the Whole30. I never used to crave sweets, but now, all I can think about is sugar. My goodness. Hopefully this will get easier?

Also, I need some help with breakfast. All I had this morning was a hard boiled egg (boiled to perfection btw - no gray yolk here!) and black coffee......it held me over until lunch, but I'm sure that's not how a Whole30 meal is supposed to look. For lunch I had 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 cup of carrots, some sweet mini peppers, a handful of (raw) almonds/cashews/pistacchios, another hard boiled egg, a few raspberries and leftovers from last night (chicken, mushrooms, onions, garlic). Wow, I didn't realize how much food that was. It was delicious :) And filling!

Tonight may be difficult. I am going to the Pinterest Convention with my sister. Usually I'd splurge and get a Pumpkin Spice Latte to carry around with me! Also, I'm sure they won't have any food I can eat while I'm there and I won't have time to cook before I leave. I should have planned ahead, but we just decided to go within the last hour. HELP! What can I do in a crisis such as this? Starbucks is flirting with me from afar with promises of a sweet fall treat and a massive headache before bed :(

Welcome to the Whole30. You need to eat much much more for breakfast than a hard boiled egg. The meal template is at least a palm of protein (for eggs that is the number of whole eggs you can hold in your hand - at least 3 I would guess), 2-3 cups of veggies, and at least a serving of fat.  

Resist the starbucks latte. Order a black Americano or drip instead. I like to sprinkle mine with cinnamon and nutmeg.

As far as the dinner crisis if you have no leftovers at home to grab I suggest getting to a Whole Foods and getting some meat and veggies from the hot bar or you can get a can of tinned fish and a bag of carrots or something like that. If you are willing to throw some things away there are options at Starbucks that are mostly W30 friendly but not much.

For me the most important part of staying compliant is having a plan and making sure I have emergency options in my fridge/freezer all the time.

You can do this! Tell that sugar dragon to go back to sleep!

I was about to type everything Physibeth said. :) More breakfast, the sugar cravings will get better, and if you want something to carry around, get black coffee. I've never tried cinnamon on it but I might have to now!

Some emergency dinner options - bunless burger is my go-to. Taco salad is good if the meat is compliant (Chipotle carnitas are sometimes good, but make sure it's not one that uses soybean oil - based on threads here it sounds like that varies by location) and there's no sugar in the salsa or anything like that. (However, I avoided my favorite burrito spot during my Whole30 because I didn't think I could resist the tortilla chips!)

Whatever you do if you eat out, make sure to ask questions about condiments and oils!

Thanks everyone!

It's so great to get support/encouragement/HELP here :)

Yes, I never thought of stopping to get a bunless burger! That's a great idea. Also, Physibeth, I do always keep fresh veggies in bags that are easy to grab. Maybe I can grab some carrots and stop to get a bunless burger with drip coffee!

Are there any rules about how late at night we can eat? I may have to fill up again once I get home from the convention.

Thanks again! I appreciate you!

No rules about that per say. I usually try to avoid eating anything heavy within two hours of going to bed because it affects my sleep, but not eating can affect my sleep too. If you find you are hungry when you get home make yourself a mini meal. Maybe an egg and some carrots or something like that.

Archived