Riding my own bike...to swim/bike/run better

vkanders

I think I am just going to focus on running as we get into the new year and then I will get a bit more focused. I would like to do another sprint or two and an Oly before the long course in August. I haven't really even looked but I live in Southern Cal so there is typically lots of races to choose from.

I have an IM training book that I bought for hubby, he hates structured plans so I may use it myself :-)

Good plan - I usually do a fall run block and don't hit the bike too hard until after the new year. No sense burning yourself out before the season even starts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11/5/13

I've been trying to get in a better variety of vegetables – I rarely have trouble getting in the amounts I need, but can easily wind up with 50% of my vegetable intake being butternut squash, at the expense of getting in more green things. I'm trying to plan out my meals so that I have smaller servings of more diverse vegetables.

5:30 am: 30 minute run, 25 minutes of strength training.

7 am: Butternut squash, chicken.

12 pm: Chicken, curry sauce, spaghetti squash, kale, coconut butter.

5 pm: Roasted carrots/beets/sweet potato, green beans, chicken, more coconut butter.

6:30 pm: 4100 yard swim practice with some fast 100s.

8 pm: Chicken/acorn squash. About 20 minutes later, some coconut milk and cashews.

Also bike commuted 12 miles today.

11/6/13

Got a little tired this afternoon, but stayed away from the coffee, just stuck to herbal tea. I do think the lower caffeine intake is helping me sleep more soundly – now, most nights, I get 6 straight hours. That's a huge improvement from waking up every 1.5-2 hours all night.

I did try a little (unsweetened) chocolate today. I will keep this sporadically in my diet as a healthy fat source, unless it starts to crowd out other important key nutritious foods.

7:30 am: Kale, chicken, a little butternut squash, coconut butter.

10 am: Spoonful of coconut butter.

11:45 am: 6 mile run with intervals from marathon pace to 5k pace.

1:15 pm: Spaghetti squash, carrots, beets, chicken, curry sauce.

6 pm: Figs, cashews, turkey/beef chorizo meatballs, and another big veggie pile: eggplant, onions, peppers, spaghetti squash.

8:30 pm: Some tasting of the homemade chocolate coconut butter I whipped up. It's sugar free, I'm going to see how I do with unsweetened chocolate.

Also bike commuted 9 miles today.

11/7/13

Not a very active day today – I was supposed to do a swim workout in the evening, but a meeting ran late and I didn't want to show up late for practice. I'll do the swim this weekend, it'll be fine, but I was still a little annoyed. So it goes.

6:30 am – Coconut butter.

6:45 am – 25 minutes of strength training.

8 am – Chicken, butternut squash.

12 pm – Kale, spaghetti squash, carrots. Chicken with curry sauce, some coconut butter.

4:30 pm – Salmon, butternut squash, green beans, coconut oil.

(Above was in anticipation of a 6:30 pm swim workout that didn't happen because a work meeting ran late. So it goes.)

7 pm – Turkey/beef chorizo meatballs. Eggplant/peppers/onions/figs. Some cashews, dried mango, and coconut flakes.

Bike commuted 9 miles and walked 2 miles running errands.

I have been reading Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet for Athletes. He seems to be recomending a really hig carb intake, with a lot of fruti. For example post WO he suggests (for my body weight 120) 12oz juice, 1-2c fruit, 1-2Tbs protien powder blended up. Followed over the next period of time with high carb alkaline foods, raisins etc.

Just wondering if you have read his book and what your thoughts are? You appear to be doing very well with the W30 style plan

I have been reading Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet for Athletes. He seems to be recomending a really hig carb intake, with a lot of fruti. For example post WO he suggests (for my body weight 120) 12oz juice, 1-2c fruit, 1-2Tbs protien powder blended up. Followed over the next period of time with high carb alkaline foods, raisins etc.

Just wondering if you have read his book and what your thoughts are? You appear to be doing very well with the W30 style plan

I haven't read it, but should probably get a copy.

My issue is that I need to balance my athletic needs against the diet I'm supposed to follow for PCOS. My doctor said 800-1000 calories per day and less than 100g carbohydrate per day, regardless of training load. We will just say that following that while training for an ironman doesn't work, and I have the fizzled-out thyroid to show for it now. I try to time most of my carbohydrate intake very closely to my workouts, and eat more green veggies/less carb dense stuff at my other meals. It is a very tricky line to walk, and I often consider taking some time off from endurance sports just to crash diet and get my weight down to control the PCOS better, but it would be a miserable life, so instead, I go for super, super slow weight loss and eating to support my activity in the meantime.

I am find studying 'diet for training' to be a very interesting topic. I am not sure that I love the Cordain book, or even agree with everything. But parts of it I am finding useful.

I have an aspiring ballerina in the house (age11) and she spends 6-9 hours a week dancing. I am working on improving her diet to include both pre and post WO meals in an effort to help her make the gains in strength and flexibility that she wants and minimize muscle soreness and recovery.

My husband is also a triathlete, has done a few marathons and 70.3s, and really has no focus on nutrition, so he is a fun one to work with too. All quite interesting, I just wonder how other's eat to fuel.

I am find studying 'diet for training' to be a very interesting topic. I am not sure that I love the Cordain book, or even agree with everything. But parts of it I am finding useful.

I have an aspiring ballerina in the house (age11) and she spends 6-9 hours a week dancing. I am working on improving her diet to include both pre and post WO meals in an effort to help her make the gains in strength and flexibility that she wants and minimize muscle soreness and recovery.

My husband is also a triathlete, has done a few marathons and 70.3s, and really has no focus on nutrition, so he is a fun one to work with too. All quite interesting, I just wonder how other's eat to fuel.

It's definitely interesting. There's the carb-heavy vs. fat burner debate, glycemic index manipulation, nutrient timing...many things to experiment with!

11/8/13

Today went pretty well – started off with an early morning 13 mile run before a full day at the office. The run was great, and I was happy with my pace the whole way. Even better is that at work, I had to meet with a delegation from Japan, and they came with gifts – including adzuki sweets. Normally, on a long run day, it would have been hard to resist, but since it wasn't a pre-planned off-roading event…into my desk they went. I'll probably freeze them and bring them out for a party or holiday at some point.

4:45 am: Chicken and sweet potato.

5:45 am: 13 mile run (1 energy gel during the run)

8:15 am: Chicken, butternut squash.

1 pm: kale/spaghetti squash. Chicken in curry sauce, mango, almonds.

7 pm: Almond/coconut butter, salad with tomatoes, raisins, greens, salmon.

9 pm: A little bit of 100% cacao chocolate - Domori. Good stuff.

Also walked about 3 miles doing errands today. Lots of time on the feet!

11/9/13

Pretty low key day today, used it to get caught up on a lot of things and cook up a lot of protein and veggies for the week.

I need to get a better handle on my fruit consumption, it's starting to get out of control and I think it's becoming a sugar crutch. Always something to work on, isn't there?

8 am: Dried mango and almond butter, salmon-sweet potato cakes and broccoli.

10 am: 3800 meter swim.

12 pm: Butternut squash and chicken.

3 pm: Dried apples, turkey-beef chorizo meat balls, peppers and onions with coconut oil, 100% cacao chocolate (Bonnat - AMAZING).

7 pm: Chicken with roasted parsnips/carrots/onion, mushroom. Coconut butter and dried mango.

Other: 6 miles (!) of walking to do errands. I love living in the city.

11/10/13

Had a great 10k race today – a PR by over 2 minutes, finishing in 49:30. Finally ended my streak of so-so races. Felt a familiar urge to celebrate with junk food, but didn't give in and got in the nutrient dense stuff instead. Feeling much more recovered just 12 hours later as a result.

6:30 am: Sweet potatoes and chicken.

7:30 am: 2 mile warm up/cool down, 10k race in 49:30 (7:58/mile pace), a few raisins between warm up and the race.

10 am: Mango, chicken.

12 pm: Spoonful of coconut oil.

12:30 pm: Swim workout, 3000 meters (deferred from Thursday when work ran late).

2:30 pm: Sweet potatoes, almond butter, chicken.

5:30 pm: 50 minute bike trainer workout to spin things out.

7 pm: Beef-chorizo meatballs, broccoli, sweet potato/carrots roasted in coconut oil. A little later, some almond butter and unsweetened chocolate.

I admire your training ethic! Congrats on your PR :-)

I am thinking that with your level of activity, you probably need the fruit. You seem to keep your diet very well balanced, snacks are sometimes hard, especially when busy and on the go.

I notice you don't seem to do eggs much, you not an egg person? They are not my favorite but it is easy to throw in a handful of spinach. I try to toss some into anything I can that is sautéing on the stove.

I admire your training ethic! Congrats on your PR :-)

I am thinking that with your level of activity, you probably need the fruit. You seem to keep your diet very well balanced, snacks are sometimes hard, especially when busy and on the go.

I notice you don't seem to do eggs much, you not an egg person? They are not my favorite but it is easy to throw in a handful of spinach. I try to toss some into anything I can that is sautéing on the stove.

Thanks! I was happy to have a good race. Conditions were almost perfect - flat course, little wind, low 40s for temps.

The fruit is probably not best for my PCOS given the fructose. I'd be better off eating more carb dense veggies. I try to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good with my diet, though, so sometimes I enjoy eating the fruit.

I love eggs, but noticed that they caused bloating and gas, so I now only use them in recipes rather than eating many eggs at a time. I used to love egg whites-winter squash-nut butter as a meal in the morning. It sounds strange, but it's delicious.

11/11/13

Had the day off work AND off training today, so I got to hang out at home and relax, which was nice. I was maybe a little too relaxed with what I ate for breakfast J. Compliant, but not balanced.

9 am: Coconut butter and almond butter with dried mango (yeah, just a little off template).

12 pm: Chicken, eggplant, broccoli, coconut butter.

6 pm: Carrots and parsnips, chicken, almonds.

Later – a little bit of homemade chocolate coconut butter (no sugar). Yum!

No training today, but did about 6 miles of walking to get some fresh air.

11/12/13

Had a medical appointment to check in on my PCOS, which is, of course, not doing any better. It's essentially my own fault – I'm supposed to get down to a BMI of about 21 (138 lbs since I'm 5'8â€) but am hanging out just under 160 lbs (BMI of 24). It's been a struggle to even lose the little bit of weight I have lost, and I just get incessant lectures from the doctors about how fat I am. So, that was not fun, and my meal timing was all off because of the morning appointment.

5:30 am: 6 mile run with 6x1 minute sprints, 25 minutes of strength training.

9:30 am: Butternut squash, chicken, coconut butter.

2 pm: Chicken in homemade curry sauce, broccoli, coconut butter.

5:30 pm: Chicken, peppers, onion, all cooked in coconut oil.

6:30 pm: 4100 yard swim workout.

8 pm: Chicken, acorn squash, parsnips

Also covered about 4 miles getting places on foot today. So much better than sitting in a car or on a train.

Ugh.  Sorry to hear about the appointment.  I know how you feel.  My doctor's office always tells me how fat I am.  I haven't been there in awhile.  Waiting until I lose more weight so I can say "booyah! Saturated fat! No whole grains!"  ;)

I think you are doing great considering you have PCOS.  Most women I know with PCOS are very obese and certainly aren't endurance athletes.  Not that I know much about it, but there must be something to it that causes predispostion to weight gain?  Anyway, you are doing great.  :)

11/13/13

Youch, really heavy on the coconut butter today. Trying to avoid dipping into the nuts too much since I think they irritate my digestion, but I need more variety.

7:30 am: Kale, butternut squash, chicken, coconut butter.

12 pm: Chicken, homemade curry sauce, green beans cooked in coconut oil.

4 pm: Chicken, carrots, beets, coconut butter.

6:30 pm: 5.3 mile track workout with 4x1200 descending from half marathon pace to 5k pace.

8:30 pm: Chicken, eggplant, broccoli, coconut butter.

Ugh.  Sorry to hear about the appointment.  I know how you feel.  My doctor's office always tells me how fat I am.  I haven't been there in awhile.  Waiting until I lose more weight so I can say "booyah! Saturated fat! No whole grains!"  ;)

I think you are doing great considering you have PCOS.  Most women I know with PCOS are very obese and certainly aren't endurance athletes.  Not that I know much about it, but there must be something to it that causes predispostion to weight gain?  Anyway, you are doing great.  :)

Thanks for the support. PCOS definitely predisposes folks to weight gain because of the insulin issues, but I am fighting it and fighting it HARD. That oddly makes me a hard-to-handle case, because I'm not obese (or even overweight) so the doctors don't know what to recommend nutritionally. Add in the endurance training, and well, they're totally confused.

11/14/13

Long meetings today, definitely dragging in my evening swim workout. It was hard to get in enough good food in the small breaks I had today, but stayed compliant and close to the template.

Tomorrow, I leave for 3 days in Colorado. It's one of my pre-planned off roading events for the month, but the intent is to stick with the template and just not be concerned about trace amounts of sugar, etc that might be in my food. So it's not an excuse to get ice cream, but a steak salad is fine, with no need to microanalyze what's in the steak.

6 am: 45 minutes of easy spinning on the bike trainer.

7 am: Chicken, acorn squash.

12 pm: Salad of lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, chicken. Some coconut flakes.

5 pm: Chicken with peppers/onions/carrots. Coconut butter on the side.

6:30 pm: 4200 yard swim

8:30 pm: Chicken, butternut squash. A little coconut oil later.

11/15/13

First day of my planned off-road weekend, but I have some very strict limits. While traveling, I'm eating according to the template, but just not worrying about non-compliant oils or a bit of sugar. If a sauce obviously has flour or a lot of sugar, I'm skipping it, but I'm not concerned about a little oil used to grill some vegetables.

This is an important thing for me to master, as it is easy to get into the mindset of “I can't eat compliant, may as well eat whatever.†That's not the best choice, so I need to avoid that.

5:15 am: A little bit of sweet potato.

5:30 am: 7 mile run, building to half marathon pace.

7 am: Acorn squash, chicken.

9:30 am: Mini meal before my first flight took off – grape tomatoes, a little chicken, some coconut oil.

12:30 pm: Lunch on the second flight, packed from home – salad with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, snap peas, coconut butter.

6 pm: First meal here at the Olympic Training Center. I ate by the template, though there was probably some no-no oil used. Salad with chicken, beets, lettuce, tomatoes, asparagus, squash, broccoli, olives. Grapes and pumpkin seeds. Yum!

11/16/13

A very, very long day – 12 hours of classroom instruction with few breaks. Still eating “compliant-like†foods while I'm here, getting in my veggies and protein, and not worrying about trace amounts of sugar, etc. Planning to jump right into it when I get home Sunday night.

6 am: 25 minute strength training session – all body weight exercises, which is always harder than I remember it being.

7 am: Egg whites with chicken, spinach, tomato, onions.  Raisins, kiwi (YUM) and almonds on the side.

10:30 am: 2 hardboild egg whites, some coconut flakes and a couple of raisins. Was NOT going to make it until lunch. Silly time zone change.

12 pm: Quick 2000 meter swim.

1 pm: Spinach, green beans, tomato, beets, pork tenderloin. Dried apricots, a couple of almonds and more kiwi on the side.

3 pm: A few egg whites and a mix of coconut flakes, almonds, and dried cranberries.

6 pm: Chicken, cauliflower, marinara sauce, snap peas. Pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries on the side.

11/17/13

Last day of the planned off roading for travel. The idea for these three days was to stay compliant in spirit but not worry about trace amounts of sugar/oils. I think it went OK – I had to talk myself out of self-medicating with chocolate when my flight home was delayed, since I was “off roading†today, it would be OK. But I didn't do it! I did, however, get some butternut squash soup that probably had some dairy and gluten in it. I got it because last night, I would have sold my soul for a sweet potato, I was SO deficient in starchy carbs all weekend. This is something I need to address for future travels. I have some ideas and will see what I can do about it. The other takeaway from the weekend is that I may still need to keep it easy on the eggs - I think eating so many may have been swelling me up by the end of the weekend, but it was the only good breakfast protein option available.

I feel puffy and not so great. I am sure I'll recover in the next day or two, and I'm also sure it's better than I'd feel had I not eaten compliant in spirit.

7 am: Little bit of sweet potato, egg whites with spinach and tomato. Almonds/raisins/coconut flakes on the side.

11 am: Shrimp, a TON of roasted broccoli, egg whites, dried cranberries.

1 pm: Hour walk.

6 pm: Canned salmon, baby carrots, coconut butter, butternut squash soup.

9 pm: (on the flight) jerky (not compliant), snap peas

2 am: Almonds – so hungry when I got home that I couldn't get to sleep.

Archived