Riding my own bike...to swim/bike/run better

vkanders

11/18/13

Wow, this was rough. I got to sleep at 3 am after a mess of flight delays, and felt AWFUL all day. Don't know if it was all the trace soy/dairy/etc in everything I ate all weekend, or the lack of sleep. I ate one real meal, as my body just wasn't having it most of the day. Hopefully this passes and I'm back to normal tomorrow.

10 am: Coconut/almond butter.

1 pm: Chicken, kale, carrots, almonds and raisins on the side.

3 pm: Attempted bike trainer workout – made it 30 minutes before I was too dizzy to keep going.

6 pm: Sweet potatoes cooked in a lot of coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, more almonds.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11/19/13

Was able to get back to normal meals today, balanced with veggies and protein. Definitely had me feeling way better by this afternoon.

7:30 am: Chicken, pepper and onions, bit of sweet potato, coconut oil.

12 pm: Broccoli, chicken, butternut squash, coconut oil.

4:30 pm: Chicken, kale, coconut butter and some sweet potato.

6:30 pm: 3100 yard swim. Shorter because I'm resting up for a Saturday half marathon.

8 pm: Chicken, acorn squash. A little homemade chocolate coconut butter later.

Also walked about 3 miles doing errands and the like.

11/20/13

With the half marathon in just a couple of days, lots of starchy carbs on the menu the next few days. Keeping the diet really tight and light on things that have historically caused stomach issues (nuts, fruit, etc) and the workouts short.

8 am: Chicken, kale, mushrooms.

1 pm: Sweet potato/coconut butter, broccoli, chicken.

4 pm: Coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate.

5 pm: 6 mile run with 3 miles at half marathon pace.

7 pm: Chicken, onion, lots of sweet potato

11/21/13

Woke up in the middle of the night with the beginnings of a cold – scratchy throat, congested sinuses, etc. Took a ton of cold meds and drank peppermint tea like mad – that half marathon is Saturday and I need to be better. Hopefully a lot of sleep tonight and a vacation day from work tomorrow does the trick.

6 am: little bit of sweet potato.

6:30 am: 2000 yard swim.

8 am: Chicken, butternut squash.

12 pm: Kale, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, turkey-beef meatballs.

6 pm: Salad of spinach, tomatoes, salmon sweet potatoes. Coconut milk.

8 pm: Bit of sweet potato and almond butter.

Also walked about 2.5 miles for errands today.

11/22/13

Today is the day before my fall target race, a half marathon. Of course, I came down with a cold. Battled it with lots of peppermint tea and fluids, and am feeling pretty much good to go now. Hopefully the race goes well tomorrow, and no matter how it goes, I have a nutrient-dense post-race meal ready to go…along with that bar of dark chocolate I've been saving for tomorrow evening J.

In other news, one of the main issues I've had with my PCOS is 19+ months of amenorrhea, which puts me at an increased risk for endometrial cancer, etc. Thankfully, this seems to have resolved itself WITHOUT artificial hormonal intervention, which my doctor had threatened a few weeks ago.

Since there are menfolk who read here, I will leave it at that and not provide details, but I'm very happy that I've apparently gotten my insulin issues under control to resolve that.

8 am: Not hungry, but needed to start getting in pre-race nutrition early in the day – too late in the day, and I have problems during the race. Whey protein isolate, cacao, sweet potato, coconut milk.

12 pm: More sweet potato, turkey meatballs.

2 pm: 2 mile shakeout run.

3 pm: Raisins, homemade chocolate coconut butter.

6 pm: Salmon, sweet potato (yes MORE), figs.

Also walked about 2 miles running errands. Ready to go for tomorrow!

Best wishes with your race, if you see this in time.

Thanks! It was a 1:52 low, which is technically a PR, but I've done the back half of a marathon 17 seconds faster. Today's course was very hilly, compared to the flat marathon course, plus my cold had sunken into my lungs pretty badly overnight. Not ideal!

Archived