Whole 30 vs post whole 30

For those experts out there, can you share....

Whole 30 is great in so many ways enumerated. But is it intended as a "cleanse" so to speak?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what happens post Whole 30. I know that I can reintroduce foods, I know I can carry the meal template forward. But wouldn't substituting or adding grains and dairy lead me right back to Whole 30 land?

I'm only day 6, but I'm a planner...so I'm constantly looking for ways to make the benefits stick, with balance.

Thoughts?

I don't think of the whole30 as a cleanse, more of a reset followed by some self-experiementation. It gets you to a place where you can find out how various foods effect you. You are so right that just doing the whole30, then going back to however you were eating before isn't the answer. Doing that will just put you right back where you started! That said, post whole30 you may find out that certain foods are ok for you on an occasional basis. For me, that means I don't need to freak out about a tiny bit of sugar, or even a little bitty bit of dairy or a potato or a scoop of rice once a year. I also know that gluten or soy or a real serving size of dairy is bad news for me SO, while I'm not strictly whole30 anymore, I have the information I need to make better-informed choices that support my long-term health.

I recommend completing your Whole30, then only reintroduce foods you want to eat again at some point.  You want to get through the process and see how you feel and react to reintros, before you decide what riding your own bike looks like.

For me, I was already gluten-free. I liked  so much how I felt on a Whole30 with the additional eliminations, that I've kept them out. Non-gluten grains, dairy and legumes made me gassy, bloated or I got stomach aches when I reintroed. I don't have them in my home any longer, and I will only have once in a while out (e.g., rice in sushi or a unique risotto dish).

I've decreased the amount of wine I drink, and only have good quality dark chocolate with no dairy or soy as an infrequent treat.

People end up back on a Whole30 if they off-road too severely and start feeling yucky.

Ahhhh...but how do you reintroduce foods not on a meal plan? Where do they fit?

Lets take Oatmeal. If I add in oatmeal and test it to see how I feel, I'll throw in my fresh fruit and my almond butter and ear a hard boiled egg. Probably not two because that's too much food.

The oatmeal suddenly replaces protein. And so on. So how do you balance this reintro?

Ahhhh...but how do you reintroduce foods not on a meal plan? Where do they fit?

Lets take Oatmeal. If I add in oatmeal and test it to see how I feel, I'll throw in my fresh fruit and my almond butter and ear a hard boiled egg. Probably not two because that's too much food.

The oatmeal suddenly replaces protein. And so on. So how do you balance this reintro?

I'd adapt my template meals to fit - have eggs on toast, with vegies. Have croutons in a salad. Crumb some fish but use breadcrumbs, add flour to thicken a sauce, make frittata/crust less quiche with some flour added, have bread with soup (including protein)

I found I no longer wanted to eat the foods I thought I would reintroduce. Never went back to oats or chocolate or Greek yogurt. Now when I am 'off' the whole 30, the only real difference is I don't stress if there is a tiny bit of sugar in a sauce or stock . If I go WAY off track, my joints ache, my belly bloats and I just feel rubbish. So these occasions are rare now, only on really big events like a family wedding.

Archived