Olive oil mayo, bottled lemon juice recommendation

Anita

So, I'm making the olive oil mayo from Well Fed. In a note on the page with the photo, it states that using bottled lemon juice is better because it has more reliable acid content. So, last week I thought I bought bottled juice that is okay, but it has potassium metabisulfite in it.  So I tossed it out (along with the egg I'd already broken into the blender). So now I'm using fresh squeezed lemon juice and praying for good results!

My question is, have any of you found bottled lemon juice that does NOT contain any nasty preservative? Or are you making mayo with fresh lemons?

I use fresh lemon juice and the recipe for mayo from Well Fed and have wonderful results.  The only thing I do differently is put my ingredients in a glass and use an emersion blender which takes literally about 20 seconds to make.  I have been using this recipe and method several times and it comes out perfectly as long as you have your juice and eggs at room temp.  That really is key.  

Coconut vinegar? I'll have to look for that. :D Yeah, I thought it would all have crap in it, which was why I was surprised at the suggestion in the book!

You can find coconut vinegar at Whole Foods. By the same maker of the coconut aminoes. 

Ah, wow, that's a big bottle!

It's big but you find all kinds of uses for it. I use it in my water from time to time as well to give it a flavor of something other than "nothing"

this lemon juice really works like magic. cool combo. thanks for sharing the information.

I was tired of squeezing my own lemons so I had to find another source...there is no waste in this, and you can re-use the bottles for other things if you want to. Mine sometimes double as a water bottle for a while before I am done with them

• 10 months later...

I use fresh lemon juice and the recipe for mayo from Well Fed and have wonderful results. The only thing I do differently is put my ingredients in a glass and use an emersion blender which takes literally about 20 seconds to make. I have been using this recipe and method several times and it comes out perfectly as long as you have your juice and eggs at room temp. That really is key.

I've never waited for room temp using the immersion blender method and my mayo always turns out. Maybe it's because I use ACV instead of lemon juice.

I've never waited for room temp using the immersion blender method and my mayo always turns out. Maybe it's because I use ACV instead of lemon juice.

I don't wait either, and I use fresh squeezed lemons and I've never had a batch fail using the immersion blender.  I also blend it in a ball jar and then throw a lid on it...less to wash! (I'm all about the short-cuts!)

Okay, Everyone:  

HOW, I must ask, do you manage to stream in oil with one hand and hold the immersion blender with the other without having a giant egg-oil-acid volcano and/or a cracked Mason jar? (which is surely what would happen at my house!) 

Or, are you telling me that you forego the oil streaming, put all the ingredients in the jar, plunk in the immersion blender and let her rip?  

(If so, my inner physicist is having a complete meltdown!!)

Eager to hear.

Or, are you telling me that you forego the oil streaming, put all the ingredients in the jar, plunk in the immersion blender and let her rip?  

This is what they are telling you. I have no experience in it, however (I do a steady stream into the tiny hole in the top of the food processor...)

• Moderators

Okay, Everyone:  

HOW, I must ask, do you manage to stream in oil with one hand and hold the immersion blender with the other without having a giant egg-oil-acid volcano and/or a cracked Mason jar? (which is surely what would happen at my house!) 

(If so, my inner physicist is having a complete meltdown!!)

Eager to hear.

This is the method I use, put it all in the jar, put in the immersion blender, blend for about 30 seconds, and voila, mayo! (There's a GIF in that link that shows it.)

Archived