Mega Foods Multivitamin

AdriannaJean

I'm starting the Whole 30 tomorrow and I'm wondering whether I can continue to take my multivitamin. It's Mega Food's Women's One Daily multivitamin, and I love it, but one of the vitamins in it is cultured from brown rice, the rest comes from yeast, carrots and spinach. 

This is the webpage with the ingredient list

http://www.megafood.com/womens-health/womens-one-daily

• Moderators

The brown rice connection makes this supplement non-compliant although it would probably not have a real influence on your experience. 

There was a statement that deserves to be derided. Here it isFoodState Nutrientsâ„¢ are made with fresh and local foods. Crafted with our Slo-Food Processâ„¢, they deliver the most authentic nourishment available, which we believe the body recognizes as 100% whole food.

This supplement is a processed food product. What used to be real, whole food has been processed down into pill form, stripping out part of what used to be present. The body does not recognize it as a whole food. It is not whole food. Pills do not interact with the body like whole food does. The statement is pure marketing hype, at best wishful thinking and at worst, a lie told to convince you taking these pills will make you as healthy as eating real, whole food would. 

I get angry when I see lies like this. Yes, I think it is a lie and not wishful thinking. The only way to get health is to eat real, whole foods. If you try to take a short cut by taking pills, you may fool yourself, but not your body. I don't think this vitamin will hurt you, I just think that it won't save you from a bad diet. If you don't eat good food, this pill won't help. If you eat good food, this pill won't help either. It's purpose is to make you feel better, not to make you healthy.

Okay, I will stop my unsolicited editorial now.

Thank you for your quick response.

My husband and I use this in addition to our long-standing paleo diet, which includes a large variety and quantity of vegetables (just going on the whole 30 to break some sugar demons and double-check our cheese tolerance). As I've been having some health problems lately that we have yet to be able to diagnose, we thought it best that I take a multivitamin to ensure that I'm not missing anything, and we were more comfortable with a multivitamin made from powdered whole foods than a chemically-lord-knows-what's-in-it one, as we think it is both better for the planet and is much more likely to absorb well. So we haven't been using this as a replacement for proper nutrition, but as a supplement to it. 

Archived