Gall Bladder Problems after this diet?

I finished my whole 30 two weeks ago.  I loved it. It was hard, but I finally had a plan for my health.   I also loved the results I saw.  I lost 11 pounds, had my blood pressure drop so much that my doctor took me off all medication for the first time in years, and my triglycerides dropped 77 points.  Impressive.  I decided to keep going.

Then suddenly a week ago, without any changes in diet, I had a horrible quick onset headache and diarrhea, blood pressure spikes, etc.  I haven't been the same since.  My doctor says that the quick weight loss and the amount of fat on this diet have caused gall bladder issues.  I don't have gall stones, but possibly a diseased gall bladder which will need surgery.  I go to the hospital for tests tomorrow.  She basically says I can't eat this way anymore. 

Has anyone had this experience following the whole 30? 

• Moderators

It is curious that you developed challenging symptoms after five weeks of eating Whole30-style. I would have expected your symptoms to have begun by the end of the first week if the problem was eating too much fat. 

Some people do find it challenging to digest an increased fat content. They often need to take a digestive enzyme for weeks to months as their bodies adjust. Some people benefit from taking digestive enzymes permanently. But I don't understand your apparently managing the fat well for 5 weeks and then your suddenly having severe problems with what you were eating. There might be an explanation, but I am suspicious it is not that you can't eat fat or that what you were eating for the past 5-6 weeks made you develop a diseased gall bladder. 

I am glad you are going to have tests and are working with your doctor to figure things out, but I am skeptical that you really can't eat Whole30 style in the future. There are people who eat this way who have had their gall bladders removed. It presents challenges because the gall bladder provides part of what is needed to digest fat, but it has been done. You may need to push your doctor past simple, quick answers.

I had horrible gallbladder attacks and dx stones. I was putting off surgery. And that was a big worry when I started my first whole 30 round. This is basically the opposite of how they say to eat to avoid gb attacks.

I'm shocked that I haven't had any problem with my known gallbladder problem since I started w30. I still have my meds that I was taking at least daily, but I haven't needed any of them in months.

Idk what your medical deal is. Maybe it is gallbladder. It's easy enough to find out with testing. You either see them or you don't.

But I wouldn't blame W30 just yet. :)

Archived