Join our whole30+ group? Starting Mon 28th Oct

melbournegirl

Oh you're so lucky, we are actually flying into Melbourne on 19th Dec and will be there for Christmas and the Boxing Day test match! Cannot wait! Any suggestions for paleo places to eat or shop would be greatly appreciated! I am going to reintroduce dairy tomorrow as I miss having yoghurt for breakfast and also a cup of tea (we Brits love our tea and haven't had any for 30 days as it was not good with coconut milk :(). Then I am going to do one day back fully compliant and then I am having a very special champagne afternoon tea treat with some friends which I am going to fully enjoy!! I would have preferred to do a perfect reintroduction process to get a good idea about how things affect me but it can't be helped. I don't plan to introduce much back anyway, some yoghurt and milk if the reaction isn't bad and maybe some oats as an alternative breakfast and then wheat treats (bread, cake etc) when the occasion is special enough.

With the strawberries, obviously there is talk as to whether it is the sugar dragon or the social convention of having something sweet to ''finish the meal'. Yes maybe it helps keeps the dragon alive but I think that, so long as 6 strawberries doesn't make you suddenly want a vat of ice cream or an entire chocolate cake, I really don't think there is much harm. I often have a bowl of frozen berries after dinner, sometimes with nuts or coconut cream as a treat. It doesn't set off any weird sugar cravings and I like the treat. I don't have it ever night and I could take it or leave it most times. I really don't think it is the worse thing you can do, don't cause yourself stress over six strawberries! Just eat them, enjoy them and move on to the next day I think. If it leads to more then maybe the time will come to address it. Until then, IMO I would just enjoy! ;)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Amberetta - I'm in Melbourne too. The best restaurant I've found is Palate http://www.palate.com.au and it has plenty of options for non-paleo folk (they may not even notice they do paleo), it's close to the Prahran Market and Prahran Health Foods which have quite a few organic things and hard to find items like Coconut Aminos. 

Quite a lot of shops, do you know what areas you'll be staying in? You'll need to BYO food & drink for the cricket I think, stadium food is usually pretty revolting here. Lots of good organic delivery if you'll be staying long. If you plan on drinking, Bulmers cider is often on tap here in Melbourne and is gluten free (looks like beer, so I find it very socially friendly).

If you're having any special meals out, it's worth contacting the restaurant in advance, lots of them are very accommodating (especially the classier places) of special requirements with advance notice.

Thank you praxisproject! That's very helpful. We're staying in the Southbank Travelodge I think which I believe is fairly central and good for the MCG! I will check what rules there are regarding BYO for the cricket but we have the five day pass so we might pop outside the stadium for lunch anyway. Not sure I want to sit and watch cricket for 7hours straight! ;) Just trying to think what might be good for Xmas? Is anything open? Would it be a good idea to hit the beach with a picnic?! Thanks again!

You'll want to book if you're eating out for Xmas Day or Boxing Day, lots of places are booked solid. You're fairly close to some fancy hotels with good restaurants though: Westin (on Swanston St), Grand Hyatt (Collins St?) and possibly the Windsor. Lots of buffet breakfasts have good options, but check as they can also be bakery-grain-a-go-go  :o

Habib Wholefoods is on Flinders St and has a few organic veggies and fruits, but lots of things in there aren't compliant too (beware all premade salads and most red meat is grain fed - yuk). Beware the Organic Deli in Degraves St as it's all grains and beans, sugar and soy.

There's a less-worse fast food place called Grilld, which has some gluten free options (burgers without buns), but check ingredients carefully, staff are pretty good, but sometimes get stuff wrong. They're pretty good at removing items from anything though, if they seem unsure, make them check (they have lists).

Xmas & Boxing Day are big picnic and bbq days, if you can crash anyone's house with a pool and a BBQ you'd be better off, other places may be overly crowded (4 hour wait for a BBQ is not fun). Check your hotel, it may even have BBQ/pool. I burn in 5 minutes, so I avoid the beach lol

St Kilda Beach is not far from you by tram, you might even find a good restaurant down that way, but it can be pricey too (always book down there).

You will be reasonably close to: Southbank, Docklands, St Kilda, Melbourne CBD and Prahran, depending on modes of transport (trams, trains, feet, taxi). Southbank to CBD is pretty good on foot (find the bridges!). If you want to use public transport you will need an item called a Myki card. If you have friends in Melbourne, see if they can buy you some and put some credit on before you arrive. If you need to do it yourself, do it via a machine, not online (super slow to add credit online). Flinders Street Station will sell them to you if you can't find them anywhere else.

Yay! Thank you again for all that info, super helpful! We don't hv friends or family in Melbourne (we do in Sydney) and will spend the first week until Xmas driving the great ocean road/grampians. I think our hotel has a pool so maybe we will just stock up on some good picnic food and maybe a glass of champagne and stay near our hotel for Xmas day. We're just so excited to be visiting and I believe melbourne is nice for walking around and has good cafés etc so we'll probably just enjoy being tourists! Would they have a Myki card at the airport? Then we can pick one up and get it loaded before we do the GOR and we'll be all set by the time we get back to melbourne. I presume public transport runs fairly regularly over Xmas? Thank you again!

Ps. Are you a bit of a night owl? Isn't it like 3am over there?!

Thanks for answering praxisproject I had no idea about restaurants that are paleo I've just been out half a dozen times in whole30 and made substitutions.

So I weighed myself and I lost 0.7g in 30 days! I know its not all about weight loss but something would have been nice. Last time i did a whole28 I lost 2.4kg in3 weeks. I only want to lose 3kg or change my shape. Can't really see much change with how my clothes feel. I checked my weight once a week last time and this time I was really good and didnt! I don't count this amount as I can change that much in a day. Its a bit more disappointing as I'm still really tired, waking overnight, hayfever allergies are as strong as ever and I don't seem to be any better with running as yet. I am planning too keep closely to it just with a dairy (today) reintro and maybe legume. I would like to see if I just need longer to feel some change.

Bit disappointed as I had hopes of many benefits from all the success stories. It's not all bad as I'm very happy in general and feel calm on this diet as I'm not really hungry like I was before and I'm loving all the delicious food, maybe too much?! I also snacked less this time. Oh well it is what it is :-)

I can't believe it's over! It feels so strange. When we decided to do this, I thought 30 days seemed FOREVER away, but boy did they fly. 

I lost 13 lbs, and have dropped a pants size! Overall I just feel a lot better, and still have weight to lose so will continue to eat this way for awhile most of the time. I don't have a TON more energy like I was hoping, but I chalk much of that up to having a 4 month old who barely sleeps at night. 

It was a great time, and I'll likely do another Whole30 in the new year! Thanks everyone. 

I only lost 4lbs. :( I know I don't have that much to lose, maybe 15lbs or so. But I am still disappointed. I KNOW it is not a weight loss programme but I was hoping it would be a great side effect. Currently reintroducing dairy which hasn't given me any symptoms so far after yogurt at breakfast and a glass of milk at lunch. In fact I think it has improved my digestion (maybe the probiotic in the yogurt). I will definitely take the aspects I have mentioned above away with me but I also know for certain that I will be reintroducing certain things and that is ok too. :)

First day off, feeling good! Lost 10 lbs, bought a belt. Had a small chai (low sugar not Starbucks sugar bomb) with good half n half this morning. Still feel fine...how do you know if you have an issue with dairy? Is it a right away thing (like gluten is for me?) or does it take time to manifest? The only things I missed on whole 30 was a dab of cream in my tea and bacon. I thought giving up chocolate would be harder but it wasn't an issue. But bacon wrapped dates are on the menu for tomorrow! Happy thanksgiving!

Must jump on the scales tomorrow. I will be happy if I've lost 2 lbs, I've been eating plenty as I need to break the diet see saw and am going for the long slow but permanent approach... I am actually 10lb heavier than when I finished my first whole30 but again this is part of the healing my body journey, eating enough to reduce stress.

I see the effects of dairy with massive skin inflammation after three days, its lasts ages then, hope it doesn't happen to you SR. I love bacon wrapped dates!

I had dairy and yesterday had a latte, a dallop of sour cream on my chilli and some ice cream. I didn't think much of it but then realised the ice cream was cookies and cream. So I looked on the side of the carton today and the ingredients are dairy, wheat, soy and corn!!!!! This morning I had an upset stomach which is what woke me up. Have I just undone the last 30 days??

My smaller pants did fit me today but maybe that's because my stomach flushed everything out.

So in thinking that I stuffed it all up I ate so many sour lollies my mum had given me I feel sick and my tongue hurts from all the sour! Feel like a naughty child stuffing my face with lollies especially as I'm not even a lolly person.

Will definitely have to redeem myself tomorrow so I bdont feel like this tomorrow night.

I had dairy and yesterday had a latte, a dallop of sour cream on my chilli and some ice cream. I didn't think much of it but then realised the ice cream was cookies and cream. So I looked on the side of the carton today and the ingredients are dairy, wheat, soy and corn!!!!! This morning I had an upset stomach which is what woke me up. Have I just undone the last 30 days??

My smaller pants did fit me today but maybe that's because my stomach flushed everything out.

So in thinking that I stuffed it all up I ate so many sour lollies my mum had given me I feel sick and my tongue hurts from all the sour! Feel like a naughty child stuffing my face with lollies especially as I'm not even a lolly person.

Will definitely have to redeem myself tomorrow so I bdont feel like this tomorrow night.

All is not lost. If you want to do your reintro's properly, eat compliantly for a few days (at least. 2, until you feel completely better from your mix of everything) and then try again, making sure to only stick to your one reintroed thing!

Archived