Join our whole30+ group? Starting Mon 28th Oct

melbournegirl

Back at work today. Woke up feeling like I hadn't slept. Both kids woke up but we've had much worse nights.

M1 coffee with almond milk, 2 fried eggs, huevos rancheros and zucchini with guacamole

M2 aloo gobi , coffee with almond milk

S carrot and celery sticks 6-7

M3 leftover poached chicken, 2 meat balls, cauliflower mash, gravy, sw potato and zucchini, slice of watermelon

The snack was unplanned and from a friend as I felt really tired and she thought I looked pale and really tired. My eyes were also hurting not sure if from the computer but I treated for 4 hours so not all at a screen. Felt a bit funny but I was OK for my long drive home and munched on the veg sticks. Not sure if my body is struggling just with a change from sugar to fat. I felt like I ate heaps yesterday. Feel much better once home and I had dinner. Dinner was definitely my biggest meal so will rectify that tomorrow.

Maybe my hormones gone haywire?? I'm on the pill and its not that time of the month but that came today as well. Not sure what my body is doing as this doesn't usually happen.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ate some of the roasted cabbage I was making for tomorrow. First time I felt too full. I ate a lot tonight but couldn't get satisfied. Now I'm too full. Also the salty cabbage tasted really good but I think it was just the salt. I don't want to add anymore salt as I'm already thirsty, drink heaps of water and have been waking everynight to go to the toilet. I usually drink heaps of water but don't wake.

I just read how periods can come early on the whole30 but I'm on the pill and have been recommended to skip periods. Mine are usually so light they barely count or didnt come but i had some mild symptoms so I kept taking pregnancy tests. I've been having them every 3 months but I had my last one 2 weeks ago?! Also feel bloated and fatter!

Sorry if too much info for this section.

I am having the hardest time sticking to three meals a day.  I need at least two snacks - or more. I count one or two of those as my post WO meal but I still feel like I am eating too much.  I am not a big person - only 5'2" but do have a solid 10+ pounds to loose.  I exercise every day but not as intense as before because I have been sluggish so far with whole 30.  The other strange thing I am wondering about is that my stomach makes little noises all day and evening now and it never did before.  I wonder if that's just the detox sound? lol?

Just curious if I am the only one with these problems?

I am having the hardest time sticking to three meals a day.  I need at least two snacks - or more. I count one or two of those as my post WO meal but I still feel like I am eating too much.  I am not a big person - only 5'2" but do have a solid 10+ pounds to loose.  I exercise every day but not as intense as before because I have been sluggish so far with whole 30.  The other strange thing I am wondering about is that my stomach makes little noises all day and evening now and it never did before.  I wonder if that's just the detox sound? lol?

Hi, Cdille! I feel exactly the same way as you do. Rumbly stomach, sluggish and feel like I eat too much. Then I did the biggest NO-NO yesterday....I weighed myself and gained 2lbs! I'm only 5'1 and I feel so heavy right now. I'm following everything, I don't understand why Though i have noticed my skin and back pains have improved. But then I made a major sugar slip up yesterday so I have no excuse. Really, really disappointed in myself. But will still continue but back to day 1.

Ana, you are doing well, improving each day. Maybe try cocoa or tea instead of the snack?

I have been really tired lately and not much energy for exercise. 10 days down so should be nearly over the worst now re sugar and caffeine withdrawal. Work pants felt slightly looser today, last worn Friday.

Ana, you are doing well, improving each day. Maybe try cocoa or tea instead of the snack?

I have been really tired lately and not much energy for exercise. 10 days down so should be nearly over the worst now re sugar and caffeine withdrawal. Work pants felt slightly looser today, last worn Friday.

Hi, Juzbo. Thanks but I'm back to day 1 as of today (November 7, Philippines).

Hi, Cdille! I feel exactly the same way as you do. Rumbly stomach, sluggish and feel like I eat too much. Then I did the biggest NO-NO yesterday....I weighed myself and gained 2lbs! I'm only 5'1 and I feel so heavy right now. I'm following everything, I don't understand why Though i have noticed my skin and back pains have improved. But then I made a major sugar slip up yesterday so I have no excuse. Really, really disappointed in myself. But will still continue but back to day 1.

A couple of days ago I lost more than 2lbs in an hour. I went for a wee. Your weight fluctuates a lot and is effected by so many things. It's not really an accurate indicator of body composition - which is why you're told to get off the scale! It's not unlikely that you're weight is higher as many people go through a period of feeling more bloated during their whole 30 as part of the adjustment process. You go through many changes during your whole 30....

Also remember it's not a diet. It's not a weight loss plan - you mention your skin and back pain has improved! That's awesome!

If you're hungry between meals, you need to adjust your portion sized. Protein and fat are the two things that'll help with satisfaction between meals.

I am having the hardest time sticking to three meals a day. I need at least two snacks - or more. I count one or two of those as my post WO meal but I still feel like I am eating too much. I am not a big person - only 5'2" but do have a solid 10+ pounds to loose. I exercise every day but not as intense as before because I have been sluggish so far with whole 30. The other strange thing I am wondering about is that my stomach makes little noises all day and evening now and it never did before. I wonder if that's just the detox sound? lol?

Is there a reason you're exercising everyday? I'd suggest cutting back to 4-5 days - you need rest days!!

If you're hungry between meals, it suggests you aren't eating enough at meals. What are you eating - could you write out a few days worth of meals ?

A couple of days ago I lost more than 2lbs in an hour. I went for a wee. Your weight fluctuates a lot and is effected by so many things. It's not really an accurate indicator of body composition - which is why you're told to get off the scale! It's not unlikely that you're weight is higher as many people go through a period of feeling more bloated during their whole 30 as part of the adjustment process. You go through many changes during your whole 30....

Also remember it's not a diet. It's not a weight loss plan - you mention your skin and back pain has improved! That's awesome!

If you're hungry between meals, you need to adjust your portion sized. Protein and fat are the two things that'll help with satisfaction between meals.

Hi! Back to Day 1 for me but I am not giving up until I finish this! I know I can do this. 

Thank you so much for your encouraging emails and support, Amberino! Thank you everyone for all the help, inspiration and friendship (even online only) :)

Your gut bacteria and enzymes need to change when you cut out sugar and add more protein and fat so that's why your stomach is gurgley... It's still adjusting. I am just starting to not need to sleep 9+ hours. I haven't been overly hungry but I'm good now at making sure I have enough fat and starchy veg and adding fruit or extras to my meal that I might have used as a snack, its all a learning curve

You're right Juz I also felt much better today. I woke a lot to go to the toilet last night but didn't feel as tired as yesterday. Went for a run around the Tan on the way home and managed 2 laps OK. Faster than my flatter run on Tuesday but still not my usual speed. This is looking good though and I'm excited if it keeps improving. When I run my mind usually drifts off and that happened again today rather than just thinking this is so uncomfortable and I want to stop.

Going to a friends for lunch on Sunday and she doesn't want me to bring anything but saying everything I'm avoiding does make me seem really difficult. She's a good friend so she's being very accommodating. I do feel like I'm making it harder for her as she keeps asking if I can have this or that and I say no. I did suggest our place but she's insistant. Does anyone else feel self conscious about it?

Ana, it takes awhile to get the hang of it and many if not most people restart, or go paleo for months before in preparation.... I was the latter...

Sticking to it is one thing to master, understanding the principles is another and working out problem for you compliant food is another again (ie fruit makes me hungry, coffee makes me crave, nuts are impossible to limit if I eat them as a snack etc)

So far its looks like you often struggle to get your meals following the template.... It's hard enough doing a whole30 when you do get the meal template right and almost impossible when you don't.

So for your restart, really focus on protein, fat and lots of vegetables each meal, and if you snack, add protein, fat and vegetables to make it a balanced mini meal... That will make it so much easier. Good luck.

Kath, I've got new friends (from hubby's work) that had us to dinner when I was on my first whole30. They cooked something we could all eat. The next time they cooked a separate meal for me (roast meat, veg, salad) and paella for everyone else. I did feel awkward, but because this is really a way of life for me, and I can't tolerate onion and garlic at all, and I get horrible skin issues if I have dairy, I have now accepted that's just the way it is now....

The tan sounds fun... I will be doing a 7km run around wattle park tomorrow morning at 6am after taking my dd to diving, hope its not raining!

Day 4 here :) Excellent sleep again last night, all good food yesterday, though i did have a cup of raw cacao after my lunch cos i was cold & a bit flu-ey & generally feeling a bit sorry for myself. Happily it did make me feel better & didn't make me crave anything else. I've got some soup out of the freezer in case that same hole needs filling today ;)

I must be on the right track anyway, I've tidied the kids' toy mountain, vacuumed the whole house, & after a quick plank I'm off to the gym!

Juz no onion or garlic is hard! I did my initial attempt after having lactose and fructose tests. I was told it would be positive or negative but can back borderline for fructose and fine with lactose.( I know milk protein is different so I'm unsure about that). I did 28 days and just went out for dinner without proper reintroductions which I'm planning on doing this time. Since then I've been keeping my wheat and fruit lower and have found that coffee with coconut milk upsets my stomach. I've still been using garlic and onion as i start most of my meals with them so I've been minimising some of the other fodmaps. Not sure if I'm really fructose intolerant anyway. I only got the tests as my iron levels are always low even with red meat in my diet so my Dr thought it could be digestion issues.

We are all a work in progress I guess. I will have to get used to this if I do find there are foods I need to avoid and I'm sure it'll become easier to explain to people.

I had persistent low iron, vitamin d, b and elevated liver enzymes despite being gluten free and low fodmap for a good while and eating a fair bit of red meat and lots of nuts and fruit and veg. After 30 days of whole30 all my tests normalised.... I attribute the inflammation from dairy and grains and lack of saturated fat in my diet as the cause of the poor health markers!

I passed the f and l malabsorption tests but got bloated still from the l test and get problems with dried fruit.... Those tests aren't very useful.

Thanks for all your replies!  I am going to try and attempt to post everything I ate yesterday at the request of Amberino21 but I have to admit its somewhat embarrassing because so many of you don't have a snacking problem and I obviously do.

BF - coffee w/ coconut milt. leftover sweet potato and apple hash (about 1/3 c) and egg whites

spin class and abs workout

PWO - hard boiled egg and 1/8 sweet potato, 1 strawberry, 1/8 granny smith apple

Lunch - mixed winter greens salad with 1/2 pork sausage, radish, 1/4 avocado, home made citrus dressing w/ olive oil

snacks.....ongoing - wholly guacamole 100 cal with veggies, later on 5 almonds, later on 3 pecan halves, later on 4 shelled hazelnuts, then a very small clementine, and finally dinner!

Dinner - chicken breast with mushrooms and tomatoes sauteed with winter greens, 3 inch piece of baked delicato squash

then I was still hungry about 45 minutes later and...

sauteed apple slices in coconut oil topped with cinnamon, chopped pecan and coconut flakes

I am heading camping for the weekend and won't have the internet but I will definitely try and post meals next week.  This might be the biggest challenge as I've never gone camping without beer haha!

Thanks for all your replies! I am going to try and attempt to post everything I ate yesterday at the request of Amberino21 but I have to admit its somewhat embarrassing because so many of you don't have a snacking problem and I obviously do.

BF - coffee w/ coconut milt. leftover sweet potato and apple hash (about 1/3 c) and egg whites

PWO - hard boiled egg and 1/8 sweet potato, 1 strawberry, 1/8 granny smith apple

Lunch - mixed winter greens salad with 1/2 pork sausage, radish, 1/4 avocado, home made citrus dressing w/ olive oil

snacks.....ongoing - wholly guacamole 100 cal with veggies, later on 5 almonds, later on 3 pecan halves, later on 4 shelled hazelnuts, then a very small clementine, and finally dinner!

Dinner - chicken breast with mushrooms and tomatoes sauteed with winter greens, 3 inch piece of baked delicato squash

sauteed apple slices in coconut oil topped with cinnamon, chopped pecan and coconut flakes

I am heading camping for the weekend and won't have the internet but I will definitely try and post meals next week. This might be the biggest challenge as I've never gone camping without beer haha!

Do you have a copy of the meal template?

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Your breakfast is tiny - eat whole eggs (a serve is as many as you can hold, likely 3-4), 2-3 cups of vegies and your fat. A more substantial breakfast is likely to increase your satisfaction (feeling less hungry) over the whole day. Carby vegies and fruit may actually make you get hungry quicker so perhaps choose some other options.

PostWO should be a meal sized portion of lean protein, starchy vegie carbs and little to no fat. Eggs aren't the best protein choice as they have too much fat. Increase the protein portion size.

Is 1/2 pork sausage enough protein to fit the template? As you're hungry, I'd suggest sticking to the upper limits of the template for protein and fats and adjust from there.

Dinner sounds low in fat, which is likely why you were hungry not long after.

Thanks for all your replies!  I am going to try and attempt to post everything I ate yesterday at the request of Amberino21 but I have to admit its somewhat embarrassing because so many of you don't have a snacking problem and I obviously do.

!

This is probably my 5th whole something... It took me at least three to work out the meal sizes I need to not snack... And even then I don't usually lose weight so probably eating a bit much still... But I'm well!

Ana, it takes awhile to get the hang of it and many if not most people restart, or go paleo for months before in preparation.... I was the latter...

Sticking to it is one thing to master, understanding the principles is another and working out problem for you compliant food is another again (ie fruit makes me hungry, coffee makes me crave, nuts are impossible to limit if I eat them as a snack etc)

So far its looks like you often struggle to get your meals following the template.... It's hard enough doing a whole30 when you do get the meal template right and almost impossible when you don't.

So for your restart, really focus on protein, fat and lots of vegetables each meal, and if you snack, add protein, fat and vegetables to make it a balanced mini meal... That will make it so much easier. Good luck.

Hi, Juz! I'm the same as you with coffee and nuts. I can't stop eating nuts once I start and coffee makes me crave. I'm okay with some fruits like grapes, banana and pineapple, but apples make me hungry and acidic. I was just also reading the timeline and it said exactly how I was feeling on Day 9, my pants were too tight and that really made me feel disappointed. Oh well....lesson learned. I really should pay attention and focus up to the end. I hope I get the results most people do.

Anyway, Day 1 done :)

B - egg, left over fish from dinner, sautéed bitter gourd 1/2 cup

L - 1 cup bok choy, grilled mackerel, 3 salmon sashimi, 1/3 banana

S- coffee with almond milk

D - salmon, half cup olives, grilled eggplant with marinara sauce, cashew, 4 dates

Today I will go back to having more veggies and fat with each meal.

Thanks for all your replies! I am going to try and attempt to post everything I ate yesterday at the request of Amberino21 but I have to admit its somewhat embarrassing because so many of you don't have a snacking problem and I obviously do.

I am heading camping for the weekend and won't have the internet but I will definitely try and post meals next week. This might be the biggest challenge as I've never gone camping without beer haha!

If I ate that little I would be starving! I'm only 5'3 and 56kg so not a big person ( want to lose a couple kg to fit into my old pants Or at least change my shape) but I exercise 4-5x a week and require a lot more of everything. If I ate what you're saying you eat I would be snacking as well so its no wonder you feel you need to. I think I would have snacked much more! Don't be hard on yourself that you are snacking it's just an indication your body needs more food at meal time. I'm only learning as well and don't always get it right either :-)

Archived