Join our whole30+ group? Starting Mon 28th Oct

melbournegirl

Day 2 done for me as I am in the Philippines. I had a good breakfast so was not really hungry by lunch time but I ate anyway. Around 3pm I had black coffee and some cashew nuts and then I couldn't stop eating anymore! I had more cashew then half an apple with homemade almond butter. Then for dinner I think I had 4 cups of veggies and grilled chicken liver and 1.5 frozen banana. Still all Whole30 compliant but really once I start snacking I can't stop. :(

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all! I started yesterday as well, but just found this forum VIA the daily emails. Excited to get going! Day one went well, but I've noticed I'm not hungry until much later in the morning, and then ravenous all afternoon (even after a full lunch). I made myself eat breakfast early yesterday, but going to try going with my body and doing the 11, 3, 7 meal combo to see if that helps.

I just had a baby in July, and I feel like I'm finally back to "myself" (the new version with another baby!) and ready to feel good again.

Hi!

The 11-3-7 suggestion was for the poster above who exercises in the morning and will likely be having pre/postWO meals prior to meal 1, it's not a suggestion for everyone!

You should be eating within an hour of waking - if you aren't used to eating early, your body isn't going to give you the cues to eat. Making yourself eat will reset your body, and hunger cues will start to appear! If you're BFing, I'd suggest 4-5 meals a day as you need the extra nutrition and calories to support you and your bub. They should all be template meals with protein, fats and vegies.

Hi!

The 11-3-7 suggestion was for the poster above who exercises in the morning and will likely be having pre/postWO meals prior to meal 1, it's not a suggestion for everyone!

You should be eating within an hour of waking - if you aren't used to eating early, your body isn't going to give you the cues to eat. Making yourself eat will reset your body, and hunger cues will start to appear! If you're BFing, I'd suggest 4-5 meals a day as you need the extra nutrition and calories to support you and your bub. They should all be template meals with protein, fats and vegies.

That's helpful- thank you! Do you have any suggestions then for the afternoon? I was not hungry at all in the morning, but ravenous all afternoon until dinner. Will that balance out as my body adjusts? I've always been a "breakfast eater" so it's not new, but my body IS used to snacking in the afternoon.

Thanks for getting back to me amberino21 and juzbo. I might try a postWO. I definitely had enough energy for my speed work on the treadmill but its only day 2 :-) Does it matter how small it is? I find Im much less hungry on this meal plan as obviously the fat and protein are so much more filling than carbs.

Had elana's pantry 'paleo dirty rice' and nomnom paleo's 'sisters phenomenal green chicken' which were yummy. Early dinner today with kids at 6 and didn't have lunch as breakfast was so late so will rectify that next week when in the same position. I ended up having 3 drumsticks but maybe too many as I didn't have lunch. I feel full but not too full. If you're not hungry are you supposed to eat and expect your body to adapt?

Your body will adapt if you're feeding it - it'll start asking you for food too!

PostWO recommendation is a meal sized portion of lean protein - a palm size piece of chicken breast for example. Add some starchy carbs to that as well. I think people underestimate how important this food is to getting good results and recovery from training!

That's helpful- thank you! Do you have any suggestions then for the afternoon? I was not hungry at all in the morning, but ravenous all afternoon until dinner. Will that balance out as my body adjusts? I've always been a "breakfast eater" so it's not new, but my body IS used to snacking in the afternoon.

Many people actually find that a substantial breakfast sets them up for a more "satisfying" day overall, compared to having a smaller breakfast and trying to catch up with a bigger lunch.

Snacking is discouraged, but if you're starving (like you'd eat plain steamed white fish and broccoli starving) have some food - make it a mini meal though, with protein, fat and vegies, and not just fruit and/or nuts.

Done with day 2 and about to sleep but have a headache again.....when is this supposed to stop? Does this mean I had too much of the bad stuff before? I got a bad case of sweet tooth and binge eating. I try to eat healthy most of the time and have gone as long as 5 days without sugar before but never had headaches for 2 days in a row.

I got a headache this afternoon again too :( I'm thinking i may need to up my water intake.

A good day 2 otherwise, went to the gym & got jelly legs, didn't snack (besides a pre-workout hb egg), my order of coconut aminos arrived & it's Hallowe'en fancy dress at kickboxing later :huh::lol:

Bring on tomorrow!

Done with day 2 and about to sleep but have a headache again.....when is this supposed to stop? Does this mean I had too much of the bad stuff before? I got a bad case of sweet tooth and binge eating. I try to eat healthy most of the time and have gone as long as 5 days without sugar before but never had headaches for 2 days in a row.

Hi, I also had headaches during my first Whole30, it took about a week to get rid of them. This is my second day for this round and I am happy to say no headaches! Hang in there, I promise it will get better :)

Day 2 done. Interesting day. DH made fresh tuna for dinner - which I could not stomach. Thankfully there were cooked chicken thighs in the fridge. 😀

Thank you Well Fed!

I agree that a big breakfast sets up the whole day. I eat a lot at breakfast - eggs, another meat,sweet potato, kale, and maybe a piece of fruit. If I don't eat enough I get snacky mid afternoon.

Hope everyone has a great day 3. And all the headaches are gone!

I managed 3 meals today which is better than yesterday. Not hungry to eat but I did anyway.

Meal 1 smoked trout, avocado and rockmelon

Meal 2 2 chicken drumsticks and paleo dirty rice and asparagus

Meal 3 slow cooker Mexican beef and salad with avocado dressing from ISWF

I love cooking and enjoy the meals but did feel like something sweet after lunch when passed a bowl of lollies at work which I ignored. I hadn't even wanted something sweet until I saw them though. Went to a meeting in the afternoon and wasn't tempted to eat anything even though there was fruit as well as chips and biscuits. Much easier to not be tempted when not hungry. I only work 2 days but always notice there is so much food at work! If you want to get rid of something put it in the staff kitchen and the vultures eat it ;-)

Hope everyone else is doing well?

I managed 3 meals today which is better than yesterday. Not hungry to eat but I did anyway.

Meal 1 smoked trout, avocado and rockmelon

Meal 2 2 chicken drumsticks and paleo dirty rice and asparagus

Meal 3 slow cooker Mexican beef and salad with avocado dressing from ISWF

I love cooking and enjoy the meals but did feel like something sweet after lunch when passed a bowl of lollies at work which I ignored. I hadn't even wanted something sweet until I saw them though. Went to a meeting in the afternoon and wasn't tempted to eat anything even though there was fruit as well as chips and biscuits. Much easier to not be tempted when not hungry. I only work 2 days but always notice there is so much food at work! If you want to get rid of something put it in the staff kitchen and the vultures eat it ;-)

Well done on the three meals - keep working on the extra pre/postWO nutrition though, your body really does need it!

Don't forget to stick to the template for every meal - you didn't include any vegetables with breakfast. You could try some starchy vegies - people often mention they get hungry earlier when they include these.

Much easier to not be tempted when not hungry. I only work 2 days but always notice there is so much food at work! If you want to get rid of something put it in the staff kitchen and the vultures eat it ;-)

Ha, I used to be one of those vultures......

Day 3 done and dusted... Not perfect but good enough. I got jelly legs too after a new outdoor lunchtime circuit class so I was glad I had a pre WO meal but then I forgot to eat my lunch.. Left it sitting in the microwave for nearly an hour.... Which messed up my eating timing/appetite for the rest of the day a bit but stuff happens....

Thanks Amber for the suggestion of starchy veg in the morning. I will try that. I didn't exercise today but will try to incorporate pre and post WO meals Friday and Saturday when I exercise again. Was good to get the email today that it's normal to not be hungry at all until hormones adjust.

Definitely been a vulture as well at times. Juzbo were you having your lunch as well as a post WO meal or instead?

Hi Everyone!

Day 3.  This morning enjoyed a breakfast of smoky chili from OMG That's Paleo, 1/2 sweet potato and spinach sautéed in coconut oil.

Great to hear the discussion about meal timing and  pre/ post WO meals....

I realize I need to have a mini meal around 3:30  on days when my scheduled work meal is at 10:30 or 11:00 and dinner isn't until 6:00.

So far, so good! Hope everyone has a healthy and happy day :)

Day 3 done! Today was easier, I had heavy breakfast and was still quite full when lunch time came around. Had some cashew and some grapes and coffee for snack and dinner was veggies and salmon. Had some homemade apple chips and apple sauce around 8:30pm.

No headache today, yay! Thanks MercitaGirl for replying to my headache post last night. :) it's really good to know that I'm not alone doing this.

Happy Halloween everyone! No candies allowed ;)

Day 3 done! Today was easier, I had heavy breakfast and was still quite full when lunch time came around. Had some cashew and some grapes and coffee for snack and dinner was veggies and salmon. Had some homemade apple chips and apple sauce around 8:30pm.

No headache today, yay! Thanks MercitaGirl for replying to my headache post last night. :) it's really good to know that I'm not alone doing this.

Happy Halloween everyone! No candies allowed ;)

Ana, if you're actually hungry between meals (as in, you'd eat plain steamed white fish and broccoli hungry) try to have a mini meal that fits the template with protein, fat and vegies instead of fruit and nuts.

If you're hungry between meals, consider reevaluating your portion sizes at meals - you may need more protein and/or fat. If you're snacking out of habit...try not to!

I just started my first serious attempt at a whole 30 on the 28th.  I have been wanting to do it for years now but somehow some social event or another gave me an excuse not to follow this through.  I love working out and I have been doing so religiously for many years. About four years ago when I started CrossFit I lost a lot of weight and felt on top of the world.  Now, 4 years later I have gained 20 lbs back and I am so sick of feeling bad about myself and having workouts that used to be easy now be tough.  I am committed to this whole 30 through and through because I am sick and tired of feeling this way and I know its my own fault.  I look forward to this community and us all helping each other.  Thanks y'all!

Day 3 and feeling great; but getting the headache today from sugar and cafiene withdrawal.  I am cutting my coffee slowly...but today was quite a bit less than yesterday.  I have had a ton of success whenever I cut out the coffee..and I really want to cut it completely for good.  I started a from-home crossfit routine today as well...this is my first foray; but I have researched it for about two years...those 0:20 second handstands are no joke!

Juzbo were you having your lunch as well as a post WO meal or instead?

It was supposed to be lunch straight after my workout which went from 1215 to 1315. I am really surprised I didn't feel hungry but its been awhile since I had a decent pre WO so maybe that contributed

I have managed well for three days without coffee, my skin is still really inflamed so its time now to cut out cocoa and after that tea. I am going to avoid eggs for a few days and see if that helps my skin too. Many of these are gluten cross reactive in some individuals. Usually my skin improves much faster if I just cut the coffee but its pretty clear the dairy, sugar and gluten I had last week have reduced my healing ability. I even had to treat an infected hangnail that went nasty in a big way... At least I have renewed incentive to stay strictly gluten, sugar and dairy free as I had done for the last year or so!

Cranky today :ph34r: I didn't sleep too good & my legs are hurting from the gym & i'm still getting an itchy/sneezy nose :rolleyes: I'm sure I'll live! Food went ok apart from a wee snack around 4pm which i thought i needed, but then didn't feel particularly hungry come dinner at 7:30pm... Ate my dinner anyway, I'm not feeling stuffed but i feel kinda heavy :huh: Bed soon (my favourite!).

Bring on tomorrow :D

Hi all,

It's good to read all your posts to see how you're all getting on. I will continue to stay in the group but finding it difficult to eat whole 30 compliant all the time. It's would be my 2nd whole 30 but I am going to do what I can even if it's just one meal a day and then when I feel ready will continue on.

Happy eating :-) xxx

Day 4 complete easier to eat today which is good.

Meal 1 eggs, zucchini and left over salad

Meal 2 chicken drumsticks, paleo dirty rice and asparagus

Meal 3 slow cooker beef, salad with avocado dressing, roasted sweet potato

Tomorrow will be a challenge to see if I can stomach anything in the morning before my class. It's a high intensity weights and cardio class. I have felt sick before doing it as there is often soime sprints. Don't normally eat much if anything before exercise but normally I'm much hungrier during the day when not on a whole 30. I didn't eat meat everyday before I did my last attempt. Maybe 3 x a week. Just think my body is not used to digesting so much.I'm tired but I also need more sleep. I dont feel low at all so far which is great.

Supposed to be having lunch with friends tomorrow which I'm nervous about. Looked at the menu and they have all day breakfast so maybe eggs? They have a salad but I'll have to ask lots of questions which I normally don't like doing as I don't want to be difficult. I know I just need to get over that.

Hi Everyone-

Great to hear how everyone is doing :)

Entering Day 4...

M1 compliant turkey sausage, chopped apple, shredded cabbage sautéed in coconut oil

M2 cinnamon beef stew (from Well Fed), romaine/ toasted walnut/red pepper salad with balsamic/EVOO dressing.

M3 dinner out . salad with protein . Will bring own dressing in purse.

Will get outside on my early lunch break for a walk for some sunlight and contact with nature!

Hoping for better sleep quality tonight.

Archived