Join our whole30+ group? Starting Mon 28th Oct

melbournegirl

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

Day 3 went well. I'm still battling being sick and for some reason I'm up 3-4 times per night to use the bathroom. Looking forward to being well and some decent sleep.

Happy eating!

When I did my first attempt I would get up multiple times a night so far this time its once a night but I normally sleep through so I don't welcome that change. I think its the body getting rid of fluid. Hopefully it won't last as your body adjusts. Hope you feel better too.

Hi Team :) today is Halloween and normally for me this means Candy Binge! But I'm so thankful that I am dedicated to my Whole30 lifestyle and candy no longer tortures, begs and calls me.  If you have not read It Starts With Food I really encourage you to do so!

I have learned so much about the food that goes into my body and the choices I make. It talks about a plan for food re-entry once you are done with your Whole30 or 40 or whatever... and it is really helpful. We never get to "re-introduce sugar" but what they do tell you is that once you are feeling in control and love your Whole30 lifestyle.. have a treat that you just can't live without. Its your  'worthwhile' treat that is totally worth it! Like Mom's homemade pie, or the made from scratch anything... but have JUST ONE! (can you imagine? ;) )

Don't go for the candy, which you can get ANYWHERE ANYTIME, I mean, how worthwhile is that anyway?

So we have a lot of things to look forward to.. not to mention... I am now down 13 pounds ( did a Whole30 then 2 weeks off and now another Whole30)  you aren't supposed to get on the scale but I am so bad about that - trying to wean myself. And the good news is I can now fit into my blessed size 12's that have been hiding in the closet for 2 years!!

This is Day 4 and my husband is doing it with me this time. It's a lot of prep, cooking and cleaning (im soooooooo tired of doing dishes!) but I'm loving having a buddy and he is doing great :)  thank you for reading this if you made it this far :)

Have a great day 4 everyone!

MG

Day four and I am really struggling! The first three were a breeze but today all I can think about is sugar.  I want chocolate and wine! for me the hardest part is going to be the no wine for a month...does anyone else have this issue? I feel like so much of my social life has revolved around drinking that its become just a habit that I am trying to break.  I am reading that book The Power of Habit and its really good.  I highly recommend it!

I am hoping to lose some weight (about 10+ pounds)  I have been eating nuts and fruit and I am wondering if anyone else out there feels like its a bad idea to be eating them?  Today I have had about 10 pecans and 5 strawberries and a clementine.  Is this too much?  Also, does anyone have a list of bad additives? Just wondering if some of the stuff in my hot sauce, pickles etc are out.

Thanks and good luck to all on Day 5!!!

Day 4 went well for me until about 5pm when I craved something sweet. I had bought pineapple cuts so as soon as I got to the restaurant I opened it and ate about 10-12 slices. Then I had a lean burger with no bun just jalapeños, onions and lettuce. Was so tempted to get chocolate covered raisins before watching a movie and my daughter said that I will have to start over if I ate anything sweet and that made me stop. But I didn't realize how my craving was so strong that I was actually going to drop my commitment to Whole30 just to get that satisfaction of having sweets. I know what I did wrong though as it says in IASWF that if you're craving for sweets while on W30 do not reach for a fruit as it doesn't help break the habit of satisfying the craving, instead go for fat or protein rich snack. Oh well, this is not easy but still not as hard as I thought. Just 26 more days! ;)

Day four and I am really struggling! The first three were a breeze but today all I can think about is sugar.  I want chocolate and wine! for me the hardest part is going to be the no wine for a month...does anyone else have this issue? I feel like so much of my social life has revolved around drinking that its become just a habit that I am trying to break.  I am reading that book The Power of Habit and its really good.  I highly recommend it!

I am hoping to lose some weight (about 10+ pounds)  I have been eating nuts and fruit and I am wondering if anyone else out there feels like its a bad idea to be eating them?  Today I have had about 10 pecans and 5 strawberries and a clementine.  Is this too much?  Also, does anyone have a list of bad additives? Just wondering if some of the stuff in my hot sauce, pickles etc are out.

Hi there! I know exactly what you mean! Yesterday I just wanted anything sweet. But it's good to let someone know that you're doing this W30 so there's someone to remind you like my daughter did to me. And this forum is such a great help and support for us all. So let's stick to this and face that sugar dragon head on! :)

Ana, if you're actually hungry between meals (as in, you'd eat plain steamed white fish and broccoli hungry) try to have a mini meal that fits the template with protein, fat and vegies instead of fruit and nuts.

If you're hungry between meals, consider reevaluating your portion sizes at meals - you may need more protein and/or fat. If you're snacking out of habit...try not to!

Hi, Amber! Thank you for replying to my post but I really have a problem with portioning. Some articles say to have 3oz of protein per meal

While other say 0.7gms per kg of body weight. If I follow the first one, then I'm having too much and if I follow the second one then I having too little. But now I try to keep in mind the W30 meal plan and try to really stick with it. My goal is to lower body fat, I'm 43 years old, 97lbs with 23% BF. I love snacking on cashews though, is this okay?

Hi, Amber! Thank you for replying to my post but I really have a problem with portioning. Some articles say to have 3oz of protein per meal

While other say 0.7gms per kg of body weight. If I follow the first one, then I'm having too much and if I follow the second one then I having too little. But now I try to keep in mind the W30 meal plan and try to really stick with it. My goal is to lower body fat, I'm 43 years old, 97lbs with 23% BF. I love snacking on cashews though, is this okay?

amount of protein depends a lot on the activity you do, and any goals you might have. the whole 30 doesn't suggest any weight of protein per meal, or an amount per kg, instead using your palms as guides. there is a lot of differing information, so try to not combine everything - you'll just confuse yourself! while you're on your whole 30, stick with the guidelines. if, after that, you want to tweak your intake consider other options then.

is there a reason you want to lower your BF%? 23% is healthy!! (and 97lbs is tiny...how tall are you?)

lowering your BF unnecessarily is not healthy - especially as a woman. you need a certain level of fat for so much of your body to function properly.

do you need to snack? are you actually hungry? if you are hungry, like I said before, go for a mini meal with protein, fat and vegies but increase your portion sizes at meals the next day to hopefully allow you to get through from one meal to the next. if you aren't actually hungry, don't snack! you don't need it.

I also started Monday for a pre-Thanksgiving whole30.  This is my first time doing the Whole30 - I just really need to work on my relationship with food here lately.  So far, so good.  I am loving this.  I used to be hungry ALL THE TIME and I am feeling so satisfied this week.  I tried to cut out coffee, but that resulted in a major headache on Monday - I have cut back and may try to eliminate later in the 30 days.  

Today was my easiest day so far- I'm hoping it continues! Yesterday was a BEAST; cravings, tired, hungry, you name it. 

I'm realizing we need more food than I planned for, so making a big grocery list tonight. I'm making four different soups this week to freeze in individual containers for us for quick lunches and dinners if we need them. We found that was the hardest part- not having quick things to grab for meals in a pinch (we only had things that took time to prepare). 

Also... wine. I miss wine. 

amount of protein depends a lot on the activity you do, and any goals you might have. the whole 30 doesn't suggest any weight of protein per meal, or an amount per kg, instead using your palms as guides. there is a lot of differing information, so try to not combine everything - you'll just confuse yourself! while you're on your whole 30, stick with the guidelines. if, after that, you want to tweak your intake consider other options then.

is there a reason you want to lower your BF%? 23% is healthy!! (and 97lbs is tiny...how tall are you?)

lowering your BF unnecessarily is not healthy - especially as a woman. you need a certain level of fat for so much of your body to function properly.

do you need to snack? are you actually hungry? if you are hungry, like I said before, go for a mini meal with protein, fat and vegies but increase your portion sizes at meals the next day to hopefully allow you to get through from one meal to the next. if you aren't actually hungry, don't snack! you don't need it.

Hi, Amber. I'm only 5'1. I just used to have a body fat of 15% when I was doing marathons though my body crashed at that time as I guess my BF was too low. I stopped eating meat also then and my body couldn't handle it, my skin was dry, my hair and I looked really haggard and gaunt. I was an over carb consumer then too, pasta, bread, rice and a lot of sweets.

I want to lean out a bit, I workout everyday, following zuzkalight and I still run about 15km per week. I feel flabby, and I want to have more muscles. Lean muscles.

Hi, Amber. I'm only 5'1. I just used to have a body fat of 15% when I was doing marathons though my body crashed at that time as I guess my BF was too low. I stopped eating meat also then and my body couldn't handle it, my skin was dry, my hair and I looked really haggard and gaunt. I was an over carb consumer then too, pasta, bread, rice and a lot of sweets.

I want to lean out a bit, I workout everyday, following zuzkalight and I still run about 15km per week. I feel flabby, and I want to have more muscles. Lean muscles.

I think your body "crashing" and having bad skin/hair condition and looking gaunt is enough evidence that your body fat was too low. Whole it might have been beneficial to your marathon running, it wasn't beneficial to your health. Sometimes we put goal achievement and other activities over health, but if that's not the case, I wouldn't suggest having a permanently low bf%.

Gaining muscle requires food, rest, and heavy training. Lighter, high rep stuff won't help you build an awful lot of muscle - it'll help your muscle endurance, but that's not what you want. Do you go to the gym, or workout at home?

I'd stop running - it won't help you achieve your muscle building goals. If you want to do cardio, do a couple of HIIT sessions a week...personally, I'd be doing as little as possible!

I was finally hungry today but its because I didn't eat enough lunch. No salad options were viable at the restaurant so I had eggs, smoked salmon and avocado but the size was really small. I was out running around doing errands all day and planned a postWO meal but should have brought another. Will definitely aim for a preWO if in that position again. I had apples I bought for the kids but didn't want to snack just on fruit and I wasn't desperate (yet!) By dinner I was hungry and ate 2 helpings really fast of Mexican beef mince, sweet potato hash with guacamole. Not too full now and definitely feel better as I'm feeling really exhausted today. We had trucks in our street early this morning (about 4am for some stupid reason!!) to work on the piping so I had a bad nights sleep.

The weather was also lovely here in Melbourne today and as its Friday night I missed my glass of wine. For some reason the warmer weather makes me want a drink more. Also hard when my husband has one and eats the chocolate after dinner as well.

This is my first Whole30 and I'm happy to say, I haven't deviated at all this week. That is a big accomplishment for me...yes, usually 4 days on any meal planning goes by the wayside. Surprisingly, my headaches subsided earlier in the week than i thought they would. Definitely still have mid-afternoon cravings for anything sweet, but I'm sure those will go away in time. My first big challenge...Heading out of town for an overnight trip...meal choices will be tempted while staying at relatives houses...

I've realised coconut cream in coffee doesn't agree with me so I won't be having that again. I tolerate it in cooking though. Went for a 10k run with a friend this morning and had to stop 3x. My stomach was still not right but overall I was just so exhausted. I will try to have more sweet potato later today. Last time this happened as well with my running. I was training for a half then but I got sick and was still unwell when I stopped. Would love to be able to have energy again for runs on this diet. I have read that it happens. Patience!

I'm sorry you're finding it so hard hedgehog. This is my second time but I didn't complete it last time (28days) so I can't really say I've done a whole30. I was worried my motivation would not be as good this time but so far its OK.

Today day 6 and I can't be bothered exercising and I keep waning to snack on fruit and nuts... My fault for staying up late reading instead of going to bed on time... Might have a nap to see if that helps... At least I have avoided the candy and soda that's been in front of me lots lately.

Day 5 went well. Leftover omelette with green beans and onion, some spinach and coconut water for breakfast. It was my birthday so we ate out for lunch but had called earlier for my being on W30 so was all good. Had steak and salmon and veggies. Dinner was leftovers from lunch. Was mostly acidic and gassy all day though. :(

Happy birthday! What I notice when am bit I bit an say I will try harder tomorrow is how quickly time flies. X am off to Berlib tomorrow or a few days and aim to get back on it after that. It is helping being on this thread to see how everyone is doing.

Happy eating everyone xxx

Archived