Homemade Mayo

Travelin Texan

I am a week into my Whole30 and am doing very good.  I made approved homemade mayo and it was delish.  I made another batch tonight and got distracted...and didn't double ck ingredients.  I used 2 cups of olive oil instead of 1.  It still made correctly but was not as tasty...kinda "oil" tasting...I stirred in a little more lime juice...tried it instead of lemon like first time...and tasted much better.

Is this still ok...or approved...or a "problem" of any sort?

Thanks, Travelin Texan

Thought of the second egg...but was already made and in my container...that is when I realized my mistake...cause there was more than last time...lol.  I didn't know what would happen if I put it back in the blender and added another egg.  I have to admit I don't know much about the "science" in cooking...how ingredients interact with each other...never been a baker...Just a cook.   ;)

Thanks for the quick reply' s.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried making mayo twice, and did not get mayonnaise either time.  I followed the directions EXACTLY.  The second time I was even more careful. And still, it never became anything but liquid.  I am using it for salad dressing, but I would really like to have some mayonnaise.  Do you think it is my blender?  It is an ordinary Hamilton Beech.

Room temp is completely key and if you are using a blender you have to SLOWLY put the oil in, like the small line of drizzle possible.  I would get an emulsion blender if I were you.  It is fast and mayo is made in 20-30 secs. Once you get it down, it is really easy. I promise.

Equipment is key for me. Immersion blender (I use a Breville but many people have success with any brand out there) and a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup. I can measure the ingredients and blend in the same cup (hint: measure the oil first and then add the other ingredients). The key is that the head of the blender fits tightly at the base of the cup, so not too much oil is getting in at first while the emulsion forms. Then you pull up on the blender to incorporate the rest of the oil in about one minute. Never fails, no matter the temperature of the ingredients.

I should probably keep my mouth shut here as to not mess anyone up, but I can't help it! So newbie mayo makers, don't listen to me. BUT, I have to say, I make homemade mayo at least once every two weeks, probably approximately 40 times by now. I use the recipe from Melissa Joulwan (The Clothes Make the Girl) and have exclusively used this recipe only. I paid particular attention to the part where you have to SLOWLY drizzle the oil in and to use only room temperature eggs.

35 of the 40 times I have NEVER done this. I always take my egg right out of the fridge and toss it in, but my blender has a little hole that makes the oil slowly dump into the mixing bowl while spinning. However, I dump the oil in as fast as possible and certainly the process of the oil dumping into the mixing process is NOT at all slow. I honestly believe after so many times in making this, the key to just a 'dump and blend' approach is a good mixer. My Cuisinart whips the heck out of this stuff, and I use the metal blade to do it.

Anyway..... I really believe it is the mixing tool that matters most when it comes to the "key" items such as room temperature egg and slow drizzing oil.

I haven't failed with my immersion blender mayo making. I've used a higher quality blender and a cheapo Hamilton Beach immersion one. The HB one is actually better at mayo making.

I usually do let all ingredients come to room temperature, but even when I don't drizzle slowly it works. Immersion blender is my key because I've been making it since January without a fail. I've even dumped in the final 1/4 cup, been patient (move that blender around to get it all!), and it works.

• 1 month later...

Do you think the youtube version would work in a blender? I don't have an immersion blender, just a regular one and a food processor, and a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and a hand held mixer. Although I'm now considering the purchase of a stick blender!

I make a batch of mayo every week with my immersion blender, I have never failed.

I do not drizzle the oil slowly, and my eggs are usually still cold.

I like the mild flavor of avocado oil. (Compliant)

A teaspoon of Dijon (compliant) is the key emulsifier

I c. Oil

One egg

Lemon juice

Dijon

Salt

I used the 2 cup tall measuring cup that came with the blender. Start with the immersion blender at the very bottom, after turning it on, slowly bring it to the top. (Which I think creates the same effect as the slow drizzle of oil in a blender) the process takes ten seconds- it's amazing and tasty!!!

Yes, people can whisk their way to mayo, but hands down an immersion blender is the best tool for the job. I use it for everything!

I've only had mayo flop once-- that was using my stick blender.  Every other time I just use my little cheapo Walmart old-style hand beater ($7.99).  I don't worry about the temperature of the ingredients and it has never mattered.  The most important thing with this method is to drizzle the oil in very slowly, but it turns out every time.

Archived