Butternut Squash Soup and Proteins?

Travelin Texan

Help...guess I am brain dead from all the reading to make sure I am eating the right things, trying new recipes, eating some new foods, etc....lol.  I made Butternut Squash Soup and had a small salad too.  But what is a good protein to go with it and other veggie soups like Tomato soup, Avocado Asparagus soup, etc?  I'm only a wk in and so I just crushed up about 5 cashews on top...but know that is no enough protein.

Thanks, Travelin Texan

I would have a smaller bowl of soup and then a plate of protein with salad and mayo. 

Last week I crumbled up a home made beef and chilli sausage into some soup and that was good. But I am not a fan of meat in soup. I like my soups smooth :)

I would have a smaller bowl of soup and then a plate of protein with salad and mayo.

Last week I crumbled up a home made beef and chilli sausage into some soup and that was good. But I am not a fan of meat in soup. I like my soups smooth :)

I don't have soup very often for that reason...and I find it weird having two bits of a meal that don't go together!

Minestrone (sans pasta) with shredded beef/lamb or Asian-y "noodle" soup with chicken and zucchini noodles would work as a "complete" meal.

• Moderators

I must be kind of weird, I like adding meat to my soups, even the smoother, creamier ones. I made up a big batch of roasted veggie soup a week or two ago, and had it at least once every day until I ran out, varying what I added to it -- breakfast sausage, taco meat, grilled chicken, even some sliced up, browned Applegate Farms hot dogs (their chicken apple sausage that's W30 compliant would be good too). I had soup for breakfast several days. Sometimes I even added extra veggies to change the taste/texture, since it was a blended, creamy soup. I just thought of it as a base and added stuff that sounded like it would be good with it, so even though I'd only made the one big thing of soup, it seemed like I had a variety of options.

I just eat my veggie soups as a vegetable side to whatever else I'm eating. Like this week I made a creamy leek soup. Yesterday I crumbled some bacon on it and ate it as a side to my eggs for breakfast. Today I'm having a serving as a side to my Romanian Burger (Well Fed 2). One of the things I've really had to get over is things "going together" all the time.

I just eat my veggie soups as a vegetable side to whatever else I'm eating. Like this week I made a creamy leek soup. Yesterday I crumbled some bacon on it and ate it as a side to my eggs for breakfast. Today I'm having a serving as a side to my Romanian Burger (Well Fed 2). One of the things I've really had to get over is things "going together" all the time.

YUM... can you share the recipe for the creamy leek soup? :) I bought two the other day and didn't know what to do with them...

All good suggestions...Thanks.

There seems to be just a lot of mixing and throw things together...lol.  I'm still trying to figure how to count my servings of veggies, protein, etc...when this occurs.  So used to most of my meals being separate items on the plate...have to adjust my thinking on this.   :D

Tomato & meatballs? Butternut squash is good with chicken, i've never met an acorn squash though ;)

Roz...an Acorn squash is another fall squash...good...similar in taste and texture to me like butternut squash.

All good suggestions...Thanks.

There seems to be just a lot of mixing and throw things together...lol.  I'm still trying to figure how to count my servings of veggies, protein, etc...when this occurs.  So used to most of my meals being separate items on the plate...have to adjust my thinking on this.   :D

Roz...an Acorn squash is another fall squash...good...similar in taste and texture to me like butternut squash.

Acorn squash makes me go omnomnomnomnom

Beef stew instead of soup!  Brown some squash chunks or sweet potato chunks and add them part way through the cooking time?

I usually put hot stew on top of a huge bed of spinach to wilt it.  Add pink sea salt and yum.

Cinnamon Beef Stew, Rogan Josh and Moroccan Meatballs from Well Fed are all great protein recipes with tons of flavor.  I had the Rogan Josh for breakfast today on spinach.

A big old slab of wild caught Pacific salmon sounds wonderful with butternut squash soup!

I found a compliant Applegate kielbasa in the prepared meats section the other day.  SCORE!!!!!  It's already cooked and everything.  Chop one of those puppies up and throw it in your squash soup.

I'm finding winter squash right now for 99 cents a pound and I'm cooking up a couple every couple of days.  Throw some superfood kale in there when you go to rehead a bowl, voila, you have your greens too.

Archived