Teenage/kid athletes

Moglie

I am 2 days from completing the whole30 for the first time. I am on it for health benefits and weightloss...my kids who do not have a weight issue are doing it with me in mornings and evenings and weekends...eating nonplan foods at lunch at school. My 16 yr old son runs 3-9 miles in the morning before school with cross country, does weight training for gym, and then does a lot of conditioning for 2 1/2 hours after school with wrestling. My 12 yr old daughter, runs 1-3 miles probably 4 to 5 days a week and is about to start her conditioning (high intensity) 3 days a week for beach volleyball as well as 2 hour practices. Do we need to incorporate more starches in their diet? My daughter will not eat sweet potatos...she likes regular white potatos and red ones....she will eat nuts though.

That's a lot of training - I'd almost suggest heading in to overtraining territory!

They definitely need recovery fuel, protein and starchy vegies. Starchy vegie intake in general is important as they're so involved in their sport. Whole 30 compliant options are sweet potato, butternut, pumpkin, beetroot, carrot, parsnips. You could include white potato, but this isn't the most nutritious option. Nuts are a fat source, not a starchy carb, and would only be suitable preWO.

Archived