So, just how long can you cook a chicken for?

Martynrunner

Right, I´m fortunate to have a week off work and as I´m not feeling 100% I decided to treat myself to an organic chicken, which is currently slow boiling away in my kitchen. In another couple of hours, I´ll be adding carrots, onion, garlic and leek.

My question is, just how long can I cook this bad boy? I want to get the most out of it health-wise, it cost an arm and a leg, so don´t just want to do a standard 5-6 hours as normal, then use it up.

If I cook it right through the day, siphoning off some of the juice for a drink now and then, I should be able to leave it overnight and begin the cooking again tomorrow, right? If so, how many days could I repeat this?

if you want to eat the meat, I'd take it out after an hour.  (I don't like my meat overcooked)  Strip the meat from the bone and throw the bones back in if you want broth.  Then you can add in your veggies.  I'd put those in for 20-30 minutes and remove them if you want to eat them.  If you plan on just drinking/using the broth you can leave them in.

I'd cook the chicken, strip off the meat, then use the carcass for broth - I think this is what you're trying to do?

I'm not sure slow cooking the meat for days will give it any benefit?

(Maybe someone can correct me...)

I'd say slow cooking chicken for days would ruin good meat!  But think you could reuse the bones until they fall apart and completely disintegrate.  I don't like my broth grody so I strain it before cooking with it or eating it.  

Interesting...I don't add acid and I always get rich, chicken jello and the bones squish in my hands.  Am I missing out by not adding the acid?  I don't think we'd like the flavor with the acid.

Interesting...I don't add acid and I always get rich, chicken jello and the bones squish in my hands.  Am I missing out by not adding the acid?  I don't think we'd like the flavor with the acid.

I can't taste the apple cider vinegar in the finished broth--it's a small amount considering the volume of liquid. My guess is that it helps more when you are trying to cut back on the amount of time you simmer the broth. If you are willing to simmer long enough to get it to jell without acid I would guess you are getting all the benefits regardless.

Archived