Do I have to start over? :/

Did I compromise my Whole30? I am so mad, I just realized this drink additive I've been using contains soy... Ugh. I wish I would've paid closer attention! :( does this mean I have to start over? It's True Lemon, but I used grapefruit and orange packets (maybe 4-5 total this week). I'm on day 6.

Unfortunately yes, that merits a start over. Call it a Whole36 if that works better for your mindset.

Is there some type of list that shows the things that make you have to start over? I saw you reply to someone's question about accidentally having sulfites. Thanks for your help, by the way.

I just looked on the True Lemon website, and now they have stopped producing their products with soy, but the one I have DOES have it. Boo. :/

This is the current production ingredient list (can you tell me if this is okay?): Ingredients: Crystallized Grapefruit [citric acid, malic acid, lactic acid, tartaric acid, grapefruit oil, grapefruit juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)].

Ingredients: Crystallized Lime [citric acid, lime oil, lime juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)], Organic evaporated cane juice. (is this sugar?)

Is there some type of list that shows the things that make you have to start over? I saw you reply to someone's question about accidentally having sulfites. Thanks for your help, by the way.

I wouldn't say there is an official list, but ingesting foods that disrupt the gut merits a restart.  Soy is one of the biggies, as well as the additives: carrageenan, sulfites and MSG.

I just looked on the True Lemon website, and now they have stopped producing their products with soy, but the one I have DOES have it. Boo. :/

This is the current production ingredient list (can you tell me if this is okay?): Ingredients: Crystallized Grapefruit [citric acid, malic acid, lactic acid, tartaric acid, grapefruit oil, grapefruit juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)].

Ingredients: Crystallized Lime [citric acid, lime oil, lime juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)], Organic evaporated cane juice. (is this sugar?)

Sorry, evaporated cane juice is sugar, which makes this not allowed on a Whole30.

Here's a document identifying most 'sneaky sugars' in foods, to use with your label-reading. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Sugar.pdf

• Moderators

It is much better to drink water without additives. The current production of this product does not include a prohibited ingredient, but it really is off-plan for a Whole30. The Whole30 is a time to eat real, whole foods. There is nothing real or whole about this product. You could squeeze some lemon or grapefruit or lime into a pitcher of water! :)

Cane juice is sugar. Product vendors use all kinds of words to avoid saying sugar. By the way, this is an example of government regulations making it easy for vendors to hide the truth. Regulations don't really help you, they help manufacturers.

It is much better to drink water without additives. The current production of this product does not include a prohibited ingredient, but it really is off-plan for a Whole30. The Whole30 is a time to eat real, whole foods. There is nothing real or whole about this product. You could squeeze some lemon or grapefruit or lime into a pitcher of water! :)

Cane juice is sugar. Product vendors use all kinds of words to avoid saying sugar. By the way, this is an example of government regulations making it easy for vendors to hide the truth. Regulations don't really help you, they help manufacturers.

Thanks Tom - you are right. And I hate that, how they really do allow them to re-word things and hide things from people. It's ridiculous. Anyway, whole foods all the way ;) For the next.... 36 days :D

Sorry to hear about your setback.  Maybe it is a setup for more awareness of food and drink?  I say embrace your new knowledge and use it to kick sugar and soy's butt for the next 30 days.  If you get tired of the citrus in your water, you can put cucumber slices in your water and it tastes really fresh.  Or as a treat a flavored carbonated water like La Croix.  You can find them at Target for sure. 

I am always doubting food and drink ingredients so I have tried to be on the safe side and just make about everything to ensure my clean eating. 

You can't trust products because they are sneaky sneaky sometime!

:D 

Sorry to hear about your setback.  Maybe it is a setup for more awareness of food and drink?  I say embrace your new knowledge and use it to kick sugar and soy's butt for the next 30 days.  If you get tired of the citrus in your water, you can put cucumber slices in your water and it tastes really fresh.  Or as a treat a flavored carbonated water like La Croix.  You can find them at Target for sure. 

I am always doubting food and drink ingredients so I have tried to be on the safe side and just make about everything to ensure my clean eating. 

You can't trust products because they are sneaky sneaky sometime!

:D 

I do have some La Croix water - I love it! My favorites are coconut and grapefruit... those packets are just "convenient"... but no more! I regularly drink a gallon of water a day, so I have no issue with plain water, it was just nice to add a touch of flavor. :)

I wouldn't say there is an official list, but ingesting foods that disrupt the gut merits a restart.  Soy is one of the biggies, as well as the additives: carrageenan, sulfites and MSG.

okay - thanks... yeah, I was already steering clear of carrageenan before W30, after reading an article on it and switched over my almond milk, but I'm not drinking that right now either. MSG I have already been steering clear of as well. Sulfites I am watching for and now SOY! Sneaky! It was funny last night because I cooked dinner for my vegan friend and made taco tofu and she was saying I should try it, just a little bit and I said no! I can't have soy! Major no-no... then later I went to grab some grapefruit packets to add to my water, decided to look at the back... "contains soy"... Fail...

No I know what you mean about having something easy for on the go.  Yeah the coconut is awesome.  Haven't had the grapefruit, but I will now! And I can't tell you how many times the last couple of weeks I have had to tell people "no thanks" because they think it isn't a big deal to have a little of something after I tell them I can't. Try having your bday while on your Whole 30.  No cake for me!  Now that was a little bit of a bummer.  My mom has generously taken a raincheck on making me her special cake that I only get on my birthday.  So congrats to you for saying no!  Sometimes it is empowering to be able to say no and still to it instead of giving it!

So, if technically I have to "start over", does that mean I would re-experience the things on the timelines? or just keep going? It's Day 8, or day 2, depending on how you look at it ;) and I'm looking a bit bloated today, so that's why I was wondering.

Not necessarily, but you could be experiencing a reaction from the things you ate that were off plan. 

Wow - good catch.  It sounds like you don't have trouble drinking regular water.  I do splash a little lemon juice in mine sometimes.  I know what you mean that sometimes it's nice to add a little flavor.

Good luck on the day 3/9.  

Archived