Best and worst veggies and fruits

busymommy

Here's the Whole9 seasonal produce guide. Bolded produce has the best nutritional value.  It also identifies those you should get organic, and those you don't have to worry about. http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/whole9-produce-guide.pdf

There's really nothing to avoid other that what's already called out on a Whole30 (e.g., no corn, peas, lima beans or white potatoes).

Bananas are fine.

busymommy -

I can understand if you're a bit confused.  A lot of people talk on this forum about limiting (or eliminating) fruit, and GFChris, one of our knowledgeable moderators, just said you don't need to avoid any fruit.  There is no one-size-fits-all plan.  For many people, eating fruit (especially in the morning) pokes the sugar dragon, and/or fruits are foods without brakes.  Other people are fine with having fruit. 

Also, the sugars in dried fruit are concentrated, and dried fruits are small and convenient, so it's easy to over-indulge.  That doesn't mean you can't have them.  You might just have to be cautious.

Taking a look at the bigger picture, one of the major hurdles and benefits of a W30 is trying new things.  In my opinion, it's a good idea not to let fruit take up much room on one's plate so there's more room for veggies - more room for VARIETY.  Also, I think it's a good idea to try and incorporate fruits in new ways - like as a salad addition or stewed with meat and veg.  Fruit and yogurt, cereal or oatmeal is such a part of the SAD, maybe it's a good idea to stay away from fruit in the morning to shake things up a bit!

In the end, (again, my opinion) it's best to use the meal template and shopping guide as your primary sources of information on what to eat and then observe how you feel when eating various things.  The forum is super helpful for troubleshooting when trying to interpret your observations. 

Also, don't fall into the fruit with nut butter trap.  Under W30 rules, nuts are fats and not protein sources.  So, apple with almond butter is not your friend.

Not sure if any of this applies to or is helpful to you.  Your question is one I've seen a number of times on this forum, so hopefully this will be helpful to someone.  Also, I am by no means an expert, nor do I lead a perfectly template-driven life ;-)

Good luck!

Alyson

Also, the sugars in dried fruit are concentrated, and dried fruits are small and convenient, so it's easy to over-indulge.  That doesn't mean you can't have them.  You might just have to be cautious.

Alyson brings up many good points. One reminded me of dried fruits. Be careful if you choose to go to the dried fruit route, for the reason the Alyson said and label-read to make sure the fruit contains no added sugar.

Thanks for the response, it is helpful.  I love fruit but I can understand about the sugar spiral.  I feel like I am the worlds worst sugar addict, it is horrible.  I have a ton of sugar every single day and I have tried a million times to stop and I have failed a million times.  I know we are not suppose to say this is hard and I want to believe it won't be but I know I have a true problem with sugar.  I just pray I can do this.  it affects me negatively in so many ways and I need to succeed this time.  I am nervous about not getting sick of food though. I start tomorrow on this and I work out early mornings and I am use to having a protein smoothie (and I pack so many good things in it) every morning after my workout and it seems crazy to think of having a chicken breast at 6:30 in the morning.  does not sound tasty at all.  are there some examples of meal plans written out or are we just to choose a protein, healthy fat and veggie at every meal?  

Archived