Whole30 2.0 - Moderation Management

Emily T

Per this post I am doing my second whole30 starting November 1, with some slight modifications. I am doing this to try and learn how to make the principles of the whole30 fit into my lifestyle, which has been difficult due to my lack of self-control and ability to enjoy things in moderation. (Mods: if that means I can't post in this forum, feel free to move this thread!)

All W30 compliant meals will be in regular text. Modifications will be italicized. The modifications will be:

• Whole, pastured dairy: cheese, butter, plain yogurt - 1 serving per day (guys, I just love cheese so much)
  • The following noncompliant items are allowed:
    • Sriracha sauce
    • Alcohol in Dijon mustard (check label to make sure all other ingredients are allowed)
    • Honey in a spicy recipe (local, raw)
    • Bacon (check for no nitrates)
  • SWYPO - allowed, during special occasions (brunch party 
  • On Thanksgiving, I'm giving myself permission to "off road" a bit - white potatoes, a little honey or maple syrup, and pie - but keeping away from grains, refined sugar, and processed junk
  • One last thing - I have a few new potatoes on hand and I don't want to waste them, so I intend on using them up sometime in week 1.

So - here we go!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 - HERE WE GO!

Breakfast - Sweet potato, sausage, peppers and onions sauteed together - baby carrots - water

Mid morning - Black tea, iced

Lunch - Leftovers: slow cooker bratwurst with sauerkraut, potatoes, dijon mustard - baby carrots - water

Dinner - Roast pork with dijon mustard and thyme; served over baked apples and onions - water 

Day 2 - woke up with a lot of bloating! But that is pretty normal for me. Some days its worse than others, and I cannot tell why. Usually if I rub some peppermint oil on my belly it goes away.

Breakfast/Lunch - My roommate is hosting a Halloween themed brunch and I did not want to sit it out so I made two items:

Paleo banana bread - all ingredients compliant, but since its bread, its in italics :)

Apple and cheddar frittata - just cheese, eggs, and apples 

Snack: Baby carrots, apple cider

Dinner: Green beans with garlic, orange sriracha chicken (made with honey and sriracha), water

Day 3 -

Breakfast - Leftover breakfast "hash" - sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, and sausage, water, iced black team

Lunch - Leftover chicken and green beans, water

Snack - Apple, baby carrots, leftover paleo banana bread (again, italicized because its SWYPO) 

Dinner - Stuffed Peppers - with ground beef, sweet potato, onion, spices, eggs, almond meal, sun dried tomatoes (they had sugar and sulfites), bacon (cured with sugar)

TMI, but I have had really terrible gas after eating the chicken and green beans - I mean REALLY terrible. I'm not sure what the heck is up. Green beans are not typically a cruciferous vegetable and not a high FODMAP food. I will try to eat them again tomorrow without the chicken and make sure that is what is causing the issue. 

Day 4 

Breakfast - Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon, breakfast "hash" with sausage, sweet potato, tomato and spinach

Lunch - Stuffed Peppers - with ground beef, sweet potato, onion, spices, eggs, almond meal, sun dried tomatoes (they had sugar and sulfites), bacon (cured with sugar); Mixed green salad with EVOO and balsamic vinegar

Post workout snack - A piece of my paleo banana bread and some sweetened cranberries

Dinner - Leftover orange sriracha chicken sauteed with 1/2 head of cabbage, sesame oil, sesame seeds squeezed oranges, ginger (contained honey and sriracha)

Had a very hard time sleeping last night, and the gas continued well into the night. It subsided when I rubbed some peppermint essential oil on my lower abdomen - this is a trick I have recently learned - it really helps relieve gas as the peppermint is absorbed into your intestines and is a natural antimicrobial. But I'd like to prevent the gas in the first place, as it was pretty bad. I ate another pepper for lunch without any gas after, and I ate the chicken (with cabbage) for dinner and I have not had bad gas yet. Fingers crossed. However, I did have yogurt (probiotic) which may be helping with the gas. Who knows!

I'm glad I decided to leave in the dairy because the yogurt I had this morning really eased my bloating. I know that you can get some of the same probiotic benefits without dairy, but for some reason nothing quite hits the spot like yogurt for me. 

Emily - sounds like your plan is great. I am at the point where I am doing tweaking of my own to make this a LIFESTYLE and sounds like I am very similar to where you are in your journey, the guidelines and principles are very close to my own. the biggest one for me is to use a "smoothie" (yogurt, protein powder, supergreen, veggies, some fruit). zero grains. zero processed sugars. I found a protein powder I found acceptable because it is nothing but whole eggs, egg whites, and beef proteins (no whey or other additives). 

good luck to you! (and me!!) and I will be joining you on Thanksgiving with strict paleo ingredient SWYPO foods

Day 5 - Woke up early today with lots of energy. Feeling pretty good. Still bloated in the morning though. 

Breakfast - Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon, breakfast "hash" with sausage, sweet potato, tomato and spinach, black tea

Lunch - Sweetgreen salad with mesclun, sweet potatoes, apples, red onion, goat cheese, chicken, balsamic and EVOO (the balsamic probably had sulfites, I'm not totally sure) - water

Snack - Cashew cookie larabar (Had a job interview after work and was starving afterward, but still needed to cook dinner, so I had a larabar to tide me over)

Dinner - Chorizo taco salad - chorizo sausage, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, and shredded cheddar, water

Day 6 - GOOD MORNING WORLD! 

Here is why I love this way of eating. Its only day 6 but already my stress and anxiety levels are reduced, my skin is clear, and my nails are stronger and healthier. I truly count my nails and scalp as a marker of health for me. When my nails are strong, I feel strong! When my scalp is not flaky and dry, I feel healthy! 

Anyway, to the food.

Breakfast - Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon, breakfast "hash" with sausage, sweet potato, tomato and spinach, black tea

Lunch - Chorizo taco salad - chorizo sausage, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, water

Not sure what is happening but I am having a really bad stomach ache and gas and bloating following lunch. I don't get my body. I ate all this stuff yesterday, why would it bug me now? 

Dinner - Mixed green salad with apples, bacon, red onion, balsamic, and oil. Carrots and baba ghannoush. About one ounce of fontina and gouda cheese.

Got a TERRIBLY stomach ache after dinner, gas, and bloating again. Not sure why. So frustrating!

Lunch - Mixed green salad with sweetened cranberries, goat cheese, bacon, red onion, balsamic, and oil. Carrots and baba ghannoush. Water

Yesterday I had such a tummy ache (twice) from the food I ate. I'm eating the same stuff today and nothing. Its just so random. 

Dinner - Green beans with garlic, olive oil, and cajun seasoning; skillet meal made from leftover stuffed peppers (ground beef, red pepper, tomatoes, sweet potatoes) and sauteed white potatoes; one ounce of fontina and gouda cheese.

Who knows. Its so damn random. I eat gouda all the time with no problems. Last night I ate green beans again with no gas. I woke up this morning super bloated, but that happens (almost) every day, so WHO KNOWS! There is no pattern.

Day 8

Breakfast - Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon, skillet meal made from stuffed peppers (ground beef, red pepper, tomatoes, sweet potatoes) and sauteed white potatoes

Lunch - Chipotle salad with carnitas, salsa, lettuce, guacamole, and sour cream

Pre-barre class I needed something to eat, and I had a cashew Larabar

Dinner - skillet meal made from leftover stuffed peppers (ground beef, red pepper, tomatoes, sweet potatoes) and sauteed white potatoes, one sliced cucumber, saffron tea

I am feeling a lot better this time around than during my last whole30, in terms of digestion. But I am feeling a LOT worse in terms of energy levels and mood, and ESPECIALLY in terms of cravings. During my first whole30 I was surprised by how easy it was. I think its because mentally at that time I really wanted to do it, and I was excited for it. This time I am craving alcohol, sugar, and smoking like you would not believe. 

Since my first whole30, I have done a better job at recognizing triggers for me. After going five weeks of clean eating I had a really, REALLY stressful week at work, and I immediately felt the desire to drink alcohol and eat sugar. It happens when I am stressed, or when I have a lot of adrenaline or energy (not workout energy, but nervous or excited energy - like when I went on job interviews). I did my whole30 during a slow time a work and honestly, its no surprise I didn't get triggers. It was summer - it was a relaxing time - I was not stressed - it was warm and sunny and not dark and cold, so I could go hiking and produce picking and spend lots of time outdoors - it was easy to be carefree! Its a lot harder now. I'm glad I am doing this again to really go through that process of dealing with cravings. 

Day 9 

Breakfast - Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon, pecans

Lunch - Fiesta tuna salad over romaine lettuce (tuna, mayo, red pepper, tomatoes, pickeled jalapenos, scallions), a handful of train mix (mixed salted nuts, dried apples, dried cherries)

Dinner - I was at a wedding with a pretty decent buffet spread. I had:

-Broccoli salad with red wine vinegar dressing, raisins

-Pulled pork with BBQ sauce

-Green beans

-Mashed sweet potatoes (likely had milk/sugar in them, but I do not know)

-Prime rib with some sort of mayo sauce

Later at night

-Cherry larabar

-Trail mix

So I stayed on the meal plan I created for myself throughout the night - no cupcakes, no bread, no rice, etc. It was a good food night. HOWEVER, I did drink alcohol. I didn't keep my promise to myself! I'm pretty bummed with that choice. I was kind of beating myself up about it this morning. That said, I thought it through last night before I did it and made a conscious decision to do it - it wasn't like, "Oh screw it, I'm going for it!" I weighed the pros and cons before I did it. I chose to wait until dinner to start, I alternated drinks with water, I selected drinks without lots of sugar (vodka and soda water with lime or lemon), I drank slowly, and I watered the drinks down significantly. I also stopped drinking earlier in the night, when I felt my face getting puffy! 

Honestly, I wanted to learn how to responsibly drink. The purpose of this whole30 2.0 was to help me learn moderation. So I think I made a good try here. I'm sticking with my plan, and I am committed to not drinking anything else the rest of the month - I have no more weddings and see no reason I would be tempted. I think as long as I plan ahead and follow Dallas and Melissa's suggestions for how to off-road properly, I should do okay. For example, I know I will want to drink at a Christmas party on December 7, so thats the next time I will choose to off-road. 

Day 10 -

Breakfast - Chorizo with sweet potatoes, poached eggs, and tomato salsa

Lunch - Fiesta tuna salad over romaine lettuce (tuna, mayo, red pepper, tomatoes, pickeled jalapenos, scallions), a handful of train mix (mixed salted nuts, dried apples, dried cherries), blueberry larabar

Snack - Apple

Dinner - Chipotle sweet potato chicken soup with avocado and cilantro (tomatoes, sweet potatoes, chicken, chipotle peppers, broth, onion), mixed greens salad with cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes, with balsamic and mayo dressing

Day 11 

Breakfast - Breakfast skillet of tomatoes, red peppers, onions sweet potatoes, and andouille chicken sausage (contains sugar); banana and almond butter

Lunch - I was at a restaurant for a job interview, and there wasn't much compliant stuff - I went for the salad bar so I could control the ingredients, and it came with soup. I'm sure the salad dressing had some sugar in it, and I assume the soup might have had wine in it, but overall I did what I could. Mixed greens salad with onions, tomatoes, red peppers, pecans and an apple cider vinaigrette, French onion soup (no cheese, no bread - just broth)

Since there wasn't much protein in the meal, I came home from the interview and ate leftover tuna salad (tuna, mayo, red pepper, tomatoes, pickeled jalapenos, scallions).

sounds like you did well at the wedding party, even if you did drink some.  True, alcohol is empty Calories, but one of its dangers is also that it lowers inhibitions, so you might feel more okay about eating something offroad than you would have if you were sober.  I still think you made great choices.  :)

Thanks, DMH! I'm doing my best. 

This week has been really challenging for me to stick to the plan because I am traveling and doing job interviews (I am trying to move, and need to get a job first). In many cases I was out to eat at restaurants and - I'll be frank - not comfortable making a big scene over whats in the food in front of prospective employers. I ordered to the best of my ability but options were limited. Its really frustrating and I am disappointed, but looking forward to getting back home and eating clean.

Day 12 

Breakfast - Breakfast skillet of tomatoes, red peppers, onions sweet potatoes, and andouille chicken sausage (contains sugar); banana and almond butter

Lunch - Chipotle sweet potato chicken soup with avocado and cilantro (tomatoes, sweet potatoes, chicken, chipotle peppers, broth, onion), mixed greens salad with cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes, with balsamic and mayo dressing

Snack - Apple, cheddar cheese, baby carrots 

Dinner - Mixed greens with grilled chicken, cranberries, pears, bleu cheese, apple cider vinaigrette

Day 13

Breakfast - Breakfast skillet of tomatoes, red peppers, onions sweet potatoes, and andouille chicken sausage (contains sugar); banana larabar

Lunch - I was taken to Panera! Ugh. There is like NOTHING compliant there and I stupidly did not bring my own dressing, and I also made a major faux pas when I ordered my salad. I was stressed and I had to order in front of the interviewer and it was just like, PANIC, OKAY GO! Creamy tomato soup (contains sugar, starch, and some horrible combination of real spices and chemicals); greens, turkey, wheatberries (!!!! WTF!!!! I like didn't realize this was a grain?!?!?! How am I this stupid?!?!?), cranberries, maple balsamic vinaigrette, bleu cheese 

Snack - apple

Dinner - Airport food. Uck. Salad with "mixed greens" (which is BS. It was romaine and iceberg), feta, onions, peppers, grilled chicken, olives, oil and vinegar dressing (probably had sugar). 

SO grateful to be done traveling. 

Day 14

Breakfast - Breakfast skillet of tomatoes, red peppers, onions sweet potatoes, and apple chicken sausage (contained sugar), yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - Chipotle salad with carnitas, salsa, guacamole, and chipotle hot sauce (contained sugar), sour cream

Dinner - Autumn salad with lettuce, bacon, apples, goat cheese, olive oil, vinegar, pecans; baby carrots with baba ghannoush. A little fontina and gouda cheese. 

Day 15

Breakfast - Breakfast skillet of tomatoes, red peppers, onions sweet potatoes, and apple chicken sausage (contained sugar), yogurt with apples and cinnamon

Lunch - Nando's peri peri chicken with medium, garlic, and lemon-herb sauces (I checked the website - no soy, sugar, gluten, or other nasties! its possible they might have had starches but I doubt it), served on a mixed greens salad with lettuce, tomato, peppers, and onions; side of portuguese veggies (olives, feta cheese, celery, tomatoes) with oil and vinegar dressing

Snack - Fontina, gouda, and some carrots and baba gannoush

Dinner - Breakfast skillet of tomatoes, red peppers, onions sweet potatoes, and apple chicken sausage (contained sugar), mixed greens with oil and vinegar, half an apple. I came straight from barre class and didn't feel like cooking, so I finished my breakfast and will need to get creative tomorrow morning. :) 

Looking forward to the weekend and farmers market! I have a lot of tasty meals planned for the next week! Thai spicy basil chicken, burgers with mayo and paleo ketchup, honey ginger apple pork, chicken salad...yummmm! 

---
I am starting to think through what I want my Thanksgiving plan to be. I really need a plan for "off-roading" to make sure I don't go crazy - that was my problem before! So I decided I will follow my meal plan all through the holiday week, but on Thursday, I will let things slide (a little). At dinner, I plan to have turkey, vegetables, salad, mashed potatoes (with butter and cream), and I am making an amazing sweet potato and sausage "stuffing." I think I will probably skip the real stuffing....because I DO plan to have PIE! We are making three kinds: pumpkin, chocolate pecan pie, and a this paleo chocolate pie - crust is nuts and dates, the filling is dark chocolate, coconut cream, and dates: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/62705391803/kelly-brozynas-chocolate-pie-raw-graham-cracker I plan to have a big piece of that, and a smaller piece of the pecan (no pumpkin for me).

My family celebrates Christmas with my dad's parents at Thanksgiving, because they live so far away and we only see them then. So there will be a lot of Christmas cookies around on Friday. I'll be making bacon-wrapped dates so I have a yummy sweet-and-savory snack to enjoy. I've already created a detailed meal plan for the other meals.

I'm really feeling good about this - having a detailed plan to maintain compliance AND to "off road" a little bit will help me stay on track. By deciding in advance what I want to "slip" with keeps me from feeling guilty and allows me to enjoy the item to its fullest. By having strategies to not feel left out (making a special pie, making the bacon-wrapped dates), I will be able to enjoy my slips within moderation - which is my whole point! The next big challenge after this is Christmas - the whole month is a challenge for me. I'm doing some thinking and planning this weekend to have a strategy for that as well. 

Day 16 

Breakfast - 3 slices of bacon - oops, nothing else! I ran off to the farmers market because I had no produce left :(

Snack - Carrots and baba ghannoush, half an apple with cashew butter

Lunch - Mixed green salad with green onions, carrots, and chicken and apple sausage

Dinner - Burgers (grass fed beef, egg, spices), sweet potato fries (homemade, baked with oil), with paleo chipotle mayo and paleo ketchup (homemade but I added some honey) 

Day 17

I've been constipated for a couple days. I am starting to think maybe that aged cheese IS a problem for me. I'm going to avoid it for a few days and see what happens.

Breakfast - Chorizo, sweet potato, red pepper hash topped with salsa (this.was.AMAZING); Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon; black tea

Lunch - Burger (grass fed beef, egg, spices), sweet potato fries (homemade, baked with oil), with paleo ketchup (homemade with honey) 

Snack - I made applesauce today and ate quite a bit of it while cooking :) it was apples, apple cider (apples & water), spices, and honey

Dinner - Kaprow chicken (chicken, thai basil, fish sauce, coconut aminos, garlic, shallots, red peppers, chilis, green onion, coconut oil) over cauliflower rice with a little sriracha 

I am still constipated, and now very bloated and gassy today. Have no idea whats going on. This is what plagued me for the last two weeks of my whole30 and it was so discouraging. I literally have no idea what causes it. 

Day 18

Still very constipated, getting more and more frustrated. I am so sick of this. Why put all this effort and work into clean eating when my digestive problems DONT GO AWAY? I am so frustrated and stressed about this.

Breakfast - Chorizo, sweet potato, red pepper hash topped with salsa (this.was.AMAZING); Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon; black tea

Lunch - Kaprow chicken (chicken, thai basil, fish sauce, coconut aminos, garlic, shallots, red peppers, chilis, green onion, coconut oil) over cauliflower rice 

Dinner - Chicken salad (chicken, pecans, mayo, apples, sesame seeds, balsamic vinegar), wrapped in lettuce leaves, with baby carrots and baba ghannoush

Emily,

Have you tried adding some more vegetables?  It's n=1, but whenever I slack off on eating vegetables, I get constipated.  It's always an unpleasant reminder to keep up my veggies.  I haven't reintro'd dairy (don't really desire it so I didn't bother) so I don't know but that could be contributing to yours.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I have heard mixed things about flaxseed! If I start eating that, should I cut out nuts/seeds elsewhere?

Anyway - things are slightly better today. My new game plan is to add in probiotics and bone broth to my daily routine and see if that helps (in addition to my regular daily dose of coconut oil). I'm going to try do this right and wait two weeks before adding in new things. If the probiotics and broth do not work, then I will probably add-in things like digestive enzymes and flax (one by one). If all else fails, I think I'll probably have to do a FODMAP elimination diet... 

Day 19

Breakfast - Chorizo, sweet potato, red pepper hash topped with salsa; Whole-milk plain yogurt with apples and fresh grated cinnamon; black tea

Lunch - Chicken salad (chicken, pecans, mayo, apples, sesame seeds, balsamic vinegar), mixed green salad with EVOO and vinegar, with baby carrots and baba ghannoush

Dinner - Honey ginger apple shredded pork; mixed green salad with EVOO and vinegar

Archived