Effects of Eating Poorly for YOU? Curious.....

Summer

Hi,

I have been curious about this for some time now, so I have decided to just ASK. To make this simply put, when you do NOT eat compliant as it pertains to the Whole30, what are your effects? I am curious as to how eating poorly effects your physically, mentally, whatever. I have told many people about my symptoms and many people look at me like I am crazy!

So, what are effects for eating poorly, NOT Whole30 compliant?

Mine are (and my effects are different depending on what I eat that is BAD) - -

1) I am itchy

2) I can get irritable

3) I have a rash on the back of my neck that WILL NOT go away until I am "clean"

4) I get a tightness in my throat

5) My breathing increases, like more rapidly

6) I am not as clear minded

If anyone would like to share, that would be great!

1. Fatigue/low energy

2. Irritabilty/anxiety/moody

3. Depressed/lack of motivation

4. Bloating/gas/indigestion

5. Patch of dry skin (eczema?) only on right hand between ring and pinky finger during dry weather

6. Acne (milk!!)

7. Several other objective measures (ie, hormone imbalance, vitamin deficiencies) that I am hoping will correct, or at least, improve with this WOE

Thus far, symptoms 1-6 have 98% resolved while following the Whole30. I have not, however, gone through a formal reintro yet so I have not "proven" they are food related. Based on my previous attempts/fails at Whole30, though, I have a pretty strong suspicion.

Cool thread idea!

1. Depression/low mood

2. Congestion - one or more of stuffy nose, runny nose, blocked ears, itchy eyes

3. Swollen inside mouth, sore on inside of cheeks etc.

4. Poor/disturbed sleep

5. General tendency to spend lots of time plotting where the next chocolate fix will come from ;)

I've now done several spells of whole30, so i know exactly that this is food-related!

Kind of hard to say for certain, as other factors can contribute as well. Or rather, the wrong kind of food can be the final nail in the coffin when you're already stressed and feeling miserable. I can notice though that some symptoms arise if I consume too much of something (mainly processed foods).

• Inflammation is one.
  • Skin doesn't look or feel right. I don't get acne, but something is just off.
  • Sometimes a bit of itchiness.
  • Feeling bloated. Well not just feeling, actually being bloated from all the water retention.
  • Feeling tired and feeling like the answer to getting more energetic is to eat more of the same food that caused the tiredness in the first place.
  • Generally being addicted to a food or drink that doesn't even taste good (I'm still convinced they put something in Pepsi Max that shouldn't be there; it's the only soft drink that has ever caused me addiction and I hated the taste). This then leads to overconsumption, which is when the problems start for me. Moderation seems to be impossible with certain processed foods.

*Bloated belly

*Uncontrollable eating for several hours between 10am-3pm

*Depressed mood

*Anxiety

*HOT FLASHES (I was having 20 per day prior to my first Whole30 in April 2012.  I've had 1 since May)

*Poor sleep

*Rapid heart rate/palps

Sugar is what I need to avoid to eliminate the majority of these issues.  Oats seem to be a problem but I'm not too sure why at this point.  They never used to be...

Wunderhase nailed it for me:

Feeling tired and feeling like the answer to getting more energetic is to eat more of the same food that caused the tiredness in the first place.

I get this for 2 days after consuming gluten of any kind. Dairy makes my joints all hurt (especially hips and knees). And I have obvious bloat that you can see in my stomach, and some form of digestive distress.

Milk can make me break out into a sweat

Wheat makes my feet swell and keeps me awake in the middle of the night.

Either of these makes my hip and knee joints ache and aggravates the beginnings of arthritis in my thumb. 

Also - and this may be TMI - the toilet paper isn't clean as a whistle when I go off Whole30 rules. 

Day 5 and this is better:

MY MOOD

I swear my thoughts are brighter and my outlook is better.  It isn't about the weight, because I am also dealing with some bloating.

It is the removal of processed sugar in my case.  I know it.

Day 5 and this is better:

MY MOOD

I swear my thoughts are brighter and my outlook is better.  It isn't about the weight, because I am also dealing with some bloating.

It is the removal of processed sugar in my case.  I know it.

PamH - I know what you mean! It is unreal the mental disturbance eating sugar is for me as well. But for me, I can't think clearly and my focus is so off. I was trying to follow a recipe out of the WELL FED cookbook and couldn't concentrate. I had eaten quite a bit of sugar just prior to trying to cook. I was in disbelief about how much it effects me! I felt awful!

Rosacea - will show up 6 hours after consuming a wheat product

Large Boils/carbunckles - show up 6 hours after consuming cheese, and assorted dairy products

skin fissures on my feet - from butter

depressed outlook/moodiness - from grains and dairy (more dairy than grains)

Tired and poor sleep quality

Hip and knee pain

Migraines - When I am on the whole 30 I don't get them.  If I go slightly off plan for a bit, I will get them.  So the incentive is to stay pretty close to whole 30 most of the time. 

stomachache from gluten

Start putting on fluff (took 9 months, but I went up a belt notch; 7 days of eating cleanly - back down a belt notch)

Tired all the time

Sugar cycle - gotta have it to stay awake

Get sick a lot more

Trouble sleeping (related to #4)

Brain fog like whoa

Trouble paying attention

Edited to add: brittle nails that crack off at the slightest provocation. When I eat cleanly, they're still not super strong, but they're better!

Oh wow, 

Well, this is something I was more attuned to after doing my first W30. 

Eating poorly affects me in the following ways: 

- shortness of breath, I breath much deeper and more effectively when W30-ing. 

- Irritability. Once off my first W30, I had an iced coffee and went batcrap crazy about half an hour later. I was in THE worst mood I have been in for a long time. 

- I don't sleep as well. Wake up multiple times per night.

- I snore. Loudly. Very loudly. When on W30 my husband says he doesn't hear a peep out of me. 

- brain fog. Brain fog to the point of wanting to sit on the couch for days at a time and do absolutely nothing. When I'm W30-ing, I can take on the world. 

- Mental health: I get into a real low funk from poor food choices, which became very apparent during my first w30, where I thought I could take on the world, and win. 

- itchy business going on on my hands and feet, like a heat rash. That stops almost immediately when I eat W30. 

- my hair thins and looks terrible

- my skin is oily and horrid

- my pcos is out of control, or controlling me, should I say. 

- cravings out of this world. If i could eat a loaf of bread a day, I would. 

- sore feet. I have a lot of trouble getting around for long periods of time because my feet start to ache. It's like my entire body puffs up and is uncomfortable due to poor food choices. Once I W30, the puffiness disappears and I can walk around with no trouble, for the entire day if need be. 

So many. Makes me wonder why I have eaten so much garbage all my life. 

Belinda. 

horrible depression and anxiety

crappy sleep

phantom itchy spots all over my body that move when I try and scratch

bloated

foggy

irritated at everyone and everything to the point where I maybe said to a coworker "DO you have to do that??" and he said "What??? Blink?"  

Dull skin and hair

fingernails are bitter/peeling/cracking

joint pain that is almost debilitating

numbness around an old scar that is tingly and awful which I know is inflamation thankyouwheat

Archived