I am reprogrammed

laura19

I finished the Whole30 a week and a half ago.  I remember when I first started, the only thing that got me through was the knowledge that I could binge on cake as soon as my 30 days were up.  That seems so funny to me now.  I have reintroduced some things.  I use 1/2 tsp of sugar and a few TBS of Half & Half in my coffee (the joy of my morning coffee is worth it to me, to have it the way I like it).  I went to a Halloween party and had a chocolate chip cookie & a slice of pizza.  As soon as I ate I wished I hadn't, I was so nervous how it would make me feel.  Really, I felt fine, but it just wasn't worth it.  It didn't even taste that good.  I'm ok with doing occasional grains - I had a little brown rice the other day.  But honestly, cauliflower rice is just as good and faster to make anyway.

I walk through the grocery store, and it's a new experience.  My first week I felt like I was drooling over all the sweets I couldn't buy.  I had to force myself to stick with it.  Now I don't even notice those things, even though since I'm being more flexible in my daily life than I was on the Whole 30, I could technically buy those things if I decided it was worth it.  It just isn't.  My sister made me paleo cupcakes for my birthday (a Whole30 no-no of course, but this was just yesterday).  They were really good, grain free, no refined sugar.  A part of me worried I'd try a paleo dessert or two and those would jump back in as my addiction, like sweets used to be.  But it's just not happening. An apple sounds better to me than a cupcake if I want something sweet.  And I want something sweet so rarely.

I really feel like in just one month, my entire way of experiencing food is different.  I feel like this lifelong monkey on my back is finally gone.  I wish I could explain to people how amazing it is, though I guess it is catching on some because I have several friends who have started.  They message me during the first week about the torture they are experiencing, beg me to tell them it gets better or else they're just going to go crazy and say screw it and eat whatever they want.  Then a week later they're messaging me again to tell me how great they feel and how this isn't really so hard after all.

I'm just so grateful to have found this website, the book, the whole thing.  

I couldn't agree with you more. I am also grateful I found out about this and I feel blessed by the fact that someone had the wisdom to make it 30 days rather than two weeks. That was key. I'm a newbie, too. My 30 days ended only three weeks ago. But, I have to say congratulations and welcome to the new reprogrammed side of Whole30. It's like a whole new life.

I feel the same way. I can't even stand the smell of most processed foods anymore.

The other day there were store made cupcakes in the breakroom. Since I'm off roading, I decided to have one little one. On one hand, it tasted incredibly fake and chemical, but as soon as the sugar hit my mouth, it was like crack, taking over my body and make it feel weird. Never Again!

PS not that I've ever used crack and know how that feels......

I keep thinking one day I'll just give up the coffee, but I love it SO MUCH.  It's my morning ritual.  Then again, wine was my evening ritual before.  I did add wine back in right at the end of my 30 but eh.  It's just not the same anymore.  So probably if I'd dump the coffee for a month I'd get over that too.  I'm just not psychologically ready to do that yet!

Archived