Always hungry!

LuckyDot

So this is my first Whole 30. I have zero issues with cutting out all junk food and taking the time prepping and cooking, but for some reason I am ALWAYS hungry. It's only been a couple days so far, so maybe things will shift after a while, but I would LOVE any suggestions to really ease the hunger. 

I've read somewhere here that the best thing to do is eat more veggies with each meal, and more fats as well. I'm fairly certain I'm not getting enough fats, but have no idea where to get them from  :blink: I use coconut oil and butter for cooking, drizzle some olive oil, and am trying to eat almonds (not a big fan but they're highly recommended). 

One example is last night, I ate 2 baked salmon fillets along with half a bag of broccoli, 2 large carrots and other veggies. I ate until I was entirely stuffed, and no more than an hour later I was hungry again  :(

This morning I hate 3 scrambled eggs with veggies, then a banana, then some nuts, and then a can of tuna with a bit of mayo (for fat?) and spinach; all within a 3 hour span. It's been about 20 minutes and now I'm starving again. (Drinking a lot of water as well). Suffice to say, this super duper sucks.

I would suggest eating towards the upper end of the food template at all of your meals (2 palms of protein, 2 servings of fat, 3-4 cups of veggies). Do not count your cooking fat towards your fat servings. Cook your veggies to compact them and get more in. I've heard some say that eating fruit with their first meal makes them more hungry so maybe try to save fruit for your later meals. Also try to have a very large first meal, this will set you up for a better day. 

For fats: 

- don't use a bit of mayo, use a big dallop

- coconut butter is amazing on squash and other veggies (and on a spoon)

- olives are great if you like them

- limit your nuts, they are not your best option

- toss your veggies in ghee and sea salt - nom!

Are you very active? Are you also getting your pre/post workout meals?

Being really hungry during the first week is pretty common - I was ravenous! If you need to eat, eat, but try to make all your "snacks" actual mini-meals, with protein and fat. Sounds like you're doing okay there.

For more fat sources, I use a lot of homemade mayo. Dunk veggies in it, put it on burgers, make sauces and salad dressings with it... yum. I put avocado on things like chili (I can't handle it straight, but some people really like it). Olives or coconut too. Almonds actually aren't the best choice (but are fine sometimes) - macadamia nuts or I think cashews are what's recommended in the book, due to their ratios of omega 3 to omega 6 fats.

One thing, though - you said you use butter for cooking. Is it ghee/clarified butter? Regular butter is out for a Whole30.

Augh.  I was starving.  Always.  I used way too many nuts/coconut/dried fruit concoctions to get me through the initial first 2 weeks.  I 100% believe there is something to the research saying Oreos are as addictive as cocaine.  The combination of fat/sugar/salt that I had been eating prior to Whole30 sucked me in and I just think my body was starving for a fix (even though it wasn't Oreos I was eating pre-Whole30 I was eating a lot of sugar).

I started my day with fats.  Using 1-2 T coconut oil/ghee in the first few hours of the day really made a difference for the rest of my waking hours.  I just put a blob onto whatever I was eating for breakfast (which is usually leftovers).

I also drank a lot of water; hot water with lemon and/or apple cider vinegar and made sure I was getting enough salt.

Your baked salmon dinner sounds great, but it probably isn't all that caloric unless your veggies were dripping in some type of healthy fat or the fillets were large.  I might be hungry again, too, especially if I had been physically active that day.  You could benefit from some carbs like baked squash or sweet potato.

Thanks guys! @Physibeth I've was working out regularly, but this month I'm working a full time job and doing a practicum, so I figured the least I could do with no time is eat better. My one job takes some energy though and a lot of lifting. I worked an extremely busy day yesterday but managed to get through it without being hungry or tired, which was my biggest concern.

@jent103 I haven't actually used any butter yet, just the oil, but was planning on it. I'm not sure where to find ghee or what the difference between clarified and regular butter is?

Pure Indian foods sells a great grass fed ghee on line.  Ghee is where the water and casein proteins are cooked off, leaving just the butterfat.  I love it!  If you have a health food store they will definitely have it (or high end grocery store).  Some stores have it in the refrigerator section but it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Green Pastures makes a fantastic 75% coconut oil/ 25% ghee blend that I also get on line.

Today was Day Two for me on Round Two of Whole30.  I was expecting to be famished and insatiable.  I had grass fed beef rogan josh and spinach for breakfast with 2T coconut oil ghee and wasn't hungry again until dinner where I had a large chicken breast with skin and another Tbsp of the oil/ghee.  I know there weren't many veggies today, but I sure wasn't hungry or craving sugars even though it is Halloween and a bowl of candy sits at me feet as I type.  I attribute that to the protein and the fats.  I just need to get through the initial few weeks without slips ups so I'll be bathing in fat.  :)

Haha I completely forgot about Halloween! It wasn't until late after work that I noticed all the costumes around me. First Halloween without feeling the obligation to eat like crap! I'm sure Christmas will be a whole other story though... lol.

More fats! Roger! I'll have to look into getting some ghee, sounds most excellent. 

Archived