Scared to finish (and not why you think)

I posted about this on my blog also, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have done or are doing a Whole30.

I'm on Day 26 today, so the end is looming near. And I'm terrified. Not because I'm scared of going back to my old bad habits -- no, what is freaking me out is that I have no desire to go back to my old habits.

That probably makes no sense, but the thing is, my whole life has been about food -- eating it and fighting it and eating it and fighting it. My weight and food issues have been a fundamental part of my life since I was, oh, about seven years old.

Now for the first time in my life I feel clear-headed and ... unburdened. And it's so damn disconcerting! It's like -- what I THOUGHT was my personality has just turned out to be a side-effect of eating crappy food for nearly 30 years. That is a weird and difficult and sad thing to realize. In fact, part of me wants to go out and indulge like crazy after this is over just so I can say "SEE? It's okay, you're still the same person!"

This all probably sounds SUPER EMO, but just wondering if anyone else has struggled with these kinds of feelings.

I've been there. In 2009, I gave up grains and legumes. I was no longer ravenous. I couldn't believe it. For years I'd been convinced by the experts that I had a food addiction. No, I had a CARB addiction. Quite a different thing! Also, I no longer have mood swings or anger issues, which defined my personality to a point.

Wow Adagio—that's really interesting!

Milkshakable, what if your personality has been a side effect of feeling poorly because of low quality foods? I guess my response is... now you know. It seems good that you found out before sixty years were gone.

We can never undo our past, but we can move forward with the new information we've learned. It sounds like you are learning about yourself. I can understand why that could be scary, but I have a hard time understanding wanting to undo that.

Perhaps you are even more you now?

I totally get what you are saying Milkshakable. I put a calendar reminder on my iPad, counting down my Whole 30. I'm nearly 2 weeks in and I keep looking at the end and think, "And then what?" I don't have anything that I think I want to reintroduce as a staple in my diet but I have been thinking of doing another 30 and eliminate eggs and nightshades as recommended in the AI protocol. (I have psoriatic arthritis).

The only thing I really excited about is having a blood panel drawn. I had a full panel pulled for disability insurance underwriting the day before I started my Whole 30. I'm not generally obsessive enough to do this on my own but since it was done, I thought it would be fun/enlighting to see if there are any signifigant changes. I'd like to see my cholesterol improve and see what my fasting blood sugar looks like after the full 30 days.

I certainly hope there are some positive changes in my personality during the rest of my Whole 30. Right now, I could cheerfully strangle everyone around me. My 8 year old told me thinks I need a day off because I'm really mean. I think he's right, but not for the same reasons. ;)

Archived