First Whole30 done! Tiger blood... I heart you.

kw 30

I am so proud to say that I completed my first Whole30!  I experienced the tiger blood, I lost 10 lbs, and experienced some other bits of magic (explained below). I am definitely happy with my results and I've made a lot of  changes to my lifestyle that I will certainly  take with me in the future.  Below were my goals prior to Whole30 and I've explained what went well and what could have gone better.  

Nutrition: I will properly fuel pre and post-workouts according to the whole30 meal planning template.  

Mission accomplished! It was tough getting used to eating something light at 5:30am before my 6:00am crossfit workouts, but toward the end I looked forward to that morning snack.  My favorite post-WO snack is sweet potatoes and eggs. 

What could have gone better: Being good about eating a “bonus†meal on a day of a workout.  Sometimes the timing just didn't work out to eat another breakfast 90 min after my workout (due to work meetings, etc).    

What I'll continue to do in the future: Over the course of Whole30 I was REALLY missing my post-WO green smoothies (chocolate protein powder with a big handful of spinach or kale).   Since I'm introducing dairy and whey back into my diet today, this morning I made my green smoothie after crossfit and couldn't believe it…. but the protein powder tasted disgusting! It had a horrible after taste, and I could taste all of the “fake†stuff in it.  I think I will stick with sweet potatoes and eggs…. Or make a smoothie but find a protein powder with more clean ingredients.                                                                                                                                                                                            

Stress Management: I will get up and walk around for 10 min every 2 hours at work

Did not accomplish.  I switched jobs during the Whole30 – about half way through gave my 2 weeks notice, and just started a new job this Monday!  (Talk about wanting to have some wine to celebrate… don't worry I was sure to reward myself with other things.  See below fun & play).  Since I started a new job I'm trying to create a new routine at work, and a goal of mine for November is to get up and walk around every hour or 2 at work.

Exercise: I will do crossfit 2 times a week and do at least 2 additional workouts a week.

Mission accomplished! My weekly exercise regimen consisted of crossfit twice a week, bag boxing class once a week, and running or an additional group class once a week. I've also been doing the occasional rowing sprints (anywhere between 250m – 2000m) before or after work outs and have learned that I really enjoy rowing.

Fun and play: I will pamper myself 1 time a week.

Mission accomplished!  I'm not going to lie… I spent a lot of money this month rewarding myself with non-food items. Manicure/pedicure, bought my first pair of lululemon pants (worth every cent!!), got a fabulous haircut & color, and got some new clothes and shoes for my new job! 

Temperance: I will not use facebook for the next 30 days.

Mission accomplished!  I had been using facebook way too much – at work, while watching TV, sometimes in the car – and I really enjoyed cutting it out for a month.  I don't think I'll use it nearly as much because I'm already overwhelmed with all of the updates/notifications on it after only being back on it a few hours.  

Other bits of “magic†I experienced:

Waking up effortlessly and CHIPPER!  I typically woke up between 5:00-5:15am with no alarm, and I was ready to seize the day. I started to accomplish small things before work – aside from working out – like reading for pleasure or reorganizing my closet.

Scalp psoriasis – gone!  I had been using a prescription shampoo over the summer that helped, and in August I decided to stop using that shampoo and replaced a lot of my beauty products with cleaner (crunchy granola) products.  Unfortunately my scalp psoriasis resurfaced when I started using only the hippy shampoo.  About 2 weeks into Whole30 (and no crazy chemical shampoo) my scalp had cleared up and it is still clear today.

Weight loss!  9.9 – but let's call it 10 – pounds down. And I shed some inches. Horray!

Stats below:

Day 1:

Weight: 161.5

Chest: 35â€

Waist:  28.5â€

Hips: 38.5â€

Day 31:

Weight: 151.6

Chest: 34â€

Waist: 27â€

Hips: 37.5â€

What a great read - you must be thrilled with your results, and accomplishments :)

I've rarely used protein powder since finishing my whole 30 - we have WPI and WPC, both unflavoured, unsweetened, from hormone/antibiotic free pasture fed cows....i haven't had the opportunity or desire to use it much! I can't stand the commercial ones - we haven't used one for a couple of years. I think they stink and taste so fake.

What a great read - you must be thrilled with your results, and accomplishments :)

I've rarely used protein powder since finishing my whole 30 - we have WPI and WPC, both unflavoured, unsweetened, from hormone/antibiotic free pasture fed cows....i haven't had the opportunity or desire to use it much! I can't stand the commercial ones - we haven't used one for a couple of years. I think they stink and taste so fake.

Thanks for the tip on protein!  It is almost funny because protein smoothies were one of the things I missed most during Whole30, and I was certain I would go right back to them post-Whole30 (unless the whey gave me stomach issues).  I will have to check out WPI and WPC!

Thanks for the tip on protein! It is almost funny because protein smoothies were one of the things I missed most during Whole30, and I was certain I would go right back to them post-Whole30 (unless the whey gave me stomach issues). I will have to check out WPI and WPC!

WPI = whey protein isolate, WPC = whey protein concentrate.....they're just different types of whey :) I'm in Aus so get different brands to you, but just wanted to let you know that you can get them without the rubbish. I have ordered from true nutrition before - you can blend your own. They have a big range and as well as protein types, you can choose what (if any) flavours, additives, sweeteners you want.

There is also some whole 9 approved proteins - I'm sure they'd be high quality without the rubbish!

Congratulations! I started out at a similar weight to you (slightly higher) and after about 12 months and only 1 whole 30 (plus a few failed ones) I have just reached my goal weight of 120 pounds. My main focus is just shopping the perimeter of the supermarket (rarely buy anything in a packet except yummy oils) and found giving up alcohol a great boost. I'd probably have a drink if I went out for dinner but no longer have alcohol in the house. Not sure if I will ever do another Whole 30 but I stick to the plan most of the time anyway and don't guilt myself if I eat off plan. It gets easier as you get tired of the upset system every time you go off plan :)

All the best :)

Archived