Is day 5 crumminess to be expected?

I felt great for the first four days but now I feel capital-l Lousy. Super nauseous, bloated, headachey, and SO THIRSTY. I felt like I was in a fog all day today and had to leave work a little early. I've been dutifully logging my food and I think I'm okay in that department. I'm dreading heading to CrossFit tonight.

So what's going on? How do I get out of this funk?

Day 5 and 6 makes you feel like you have been loaded down with 500 lb weights.  It is normal to fell this way at the first week.  Have you read the article about The Whole 30 Day by Day Timeline?  That breaks it down for you about how all the 30 days are labeled.  I did NOTHING for an entire weekend except watch TV.  I had what my sister called (she is a personal trainer) The Carb Flu.  Your body is adjusting to eating fats and protein as its energy source and not relying on carbs.  I was thirsty all the time too.  Drink extra water and you make need to take something for the headache.  Good luck to you and day 7 you will feel better!

Be sure to have some starchy carbs, like sweet potato, too. That will help you retain some water so you are not too thirsty and help with brain fog and headaches. Try having the starchy carbs after your crossfit workout, for sure.

ETA: I don't mean water retention in a bad way. When you go too low carb your lose a lot of water because each glycogen ( the storage form of carbohydrate) molecule holds on to two -three water molecules. Be sure to add in quality sea salt, too!

Thanks for the helpful replies! I just got home from my WOD and, while it was far from one of my best, I feel 100% better after getting my blood moving. That said, I have zero appetite and all I want to do is collapse on the couch with some rooibos and 'Scandal'. I seriously can't bring myself to eat anything. Is it okay to skip a meal every now and then?

Intermittent fasting isn't really recommended during a whole30 as if your hormones are out of whack it's really not going to help

Roz, I meant that skipping a meal was going to be ok, if you really were not hungry.  I didn't mean for a longer period of time.  I mispoke by calling it by that term.  :) I just meant one meal.  You have a very valid point and thank you!

Archived