Day 3 of my first whole 30 and it's Halloween- Ugh!

pozminkowski

So this is my first whole30 and I have been very excited.  I am definitely a sugar addict.  Not only did I eat an oatmeal and nutella "brownie bar" for breakfast but I would eat sweets right after the rest of my meals.  I've started numerous diet plans since i left the army but I always slack off on them, oh and I would use the time before I started them to absolutely gorge on sweets and bad foods and without finishing them...  30lbs later and am now completely out of shape and its time for a change.  Day 1 & 2 went smooth but now on day 3 my stomach feels bloated and I'm in the bathroom frequently.  Anyone else encounter this?  I'm thinking my stomach is just adjusting but not sure.  I also am having a hard time sleeping but this should adjust itself I figure.  Either way I'm in it for the long haul.  Giving out candy tonight should be horrible but I'm sticking to it.

Good for you for taking steps to make changes! A lot of what you said has rung true for me in the past. I definitely loved my sweets and would usually have something sweet mid afternoon and after dinner. I find I still struggle during those times, thinking I "need" something to eat (ie, wanting a sweet treat). I will say that those feelings have diminished quite a bit. My recommendation for when you know/think you will be inundated with sweets (ie tonight!) be sure you have eaten a satisfying meal with plenty of fat and protein. You may also want to add some starchy veggies which often help with cravings.

As for the bloating, I can't recommended digestive enzymes enough! I was using the NOW brand that was recommended in ISWF, however, found out late in the game they are non-compliant. Right now I am using Enzymedica Digest Gold and they are amazing! My bloating and gas are 98% eliminated, as well as my indigestion. Also, the program recommends probiotics from kombucha and fermented sauerkraut.

This week is going to be full of trials too-  Halloween tonight, Going out for dinner tomorrow before we see a show- all of which used to involve bad food and alcohol- I had to pick a restaurant that identifies paleo friendly foods and no drinking... 

Then we have a gala on saturday night for my wife's work that normally involves the same... I'm planning on eating before hand at least some good vegetables and fats so I won't starve if nothing is edible for this.  On a good note I'll be sure to be plenty hydrated because I'm sure I'll be drinking water the whole time to compensate. 

Watch out for poor quality sauteed / roasted vegetables, like from a hot line...too much of that has left me feeling bloated before.  Probably the oil they were using, or something.  Sticking to my own pan seared veggies, and cuts of meat alleved that in the past for me.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try the probiotics. I'm trying to supplement hunger with nuts and fruit. That should get me through tonight. I plan on having my wife hand out the candy while I sit there scaring the children by drooling all over the candy.

If you're starving and not just eating out of habit, or because others are - as in, you'd eat plain steamed fish and broccoli- have a proper mini meal of protein, fats and vegies. This will be much more satisfying.

If you check out the timeline, you'll see that Digestive issues aren't uncommon, especially at the beginning of your whole 30. Your issues will likely work themselves out! If not, there are ways to assist digestion to look into..

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Archived