Completed Whole30...worried about junk food

When I decided to do the Whole30, I knew that 30 days wouldn't be enough for me. Having completed it, I have learned that my psychological dependence on sugar runs deeper than I thought. 

On the upside, I look and feel less "puffy," I haven't had a stomach ache this entire month (I'd get them all the time), and some of the hormone problems I'd been having before seem to have disappeared for the most part. 

However, it is still nearly impossible for me to be around sugary foods. When I'm with friends who are eating things that I use to binge on, I suddenly feel fatigued and panicky. I even still crave and think about these food items when I'm not around them. I already went through withdrawals and had a detox skin rash, but I was hoping that would be the end of it, and I'd be able to continue beyond 30 days without a problem.

I knew going into this that I would have to keep at this for possibly an additional 15 or 30 days, but I guess I need a little encouragement: Is there any hope that I'll ever be able to approach thinks like bread, cookies, cakes, and other sweets with any self control? 

I wish I could say that I know from 100% experience here, but my two cents...

Regardless of whether you believe we came from primordial soup or were created, we can all agree that life is hard in the areas we originated. So when you found something delicious (like sweet fruit or salty something that was full of minerals), you ate as much as you could because - who knows - will you ever find it again? Get as much of that nutrition as possible! Stuff it down your face with two hands! Eat it ALLLLLLLL.

I'm not sure how long it will take you, or me, to get to a point where we can moderate, or even if it's possible. I can say that for a little while after my Whole 30 I only needed a few M&Ms to feel too sweet and was able to stop. It's a slippery slope, though, culminating in me8 months later eating Reese's cups for lunch. Your mileage may vary.

Whole14 starting tomorrow.

I don't think the problem is self-control. I have unbelievable self-control when I don't have garbage (i.e. wheat and sugar) in my system. Once these drugs are affecting my brain, I'm toast. I don't mean to discourage you, but I've been working on this all year and my reaction when I eat these foods has not improved at all. Gimmemoregimmemoregimmemore is what my brain says every time I have some. Once I'm away from it for several weeks, I don't even care anymore. But there's always some excuse to have a little bit here and there, and the cycle starts all over again. Realistically, I think you're always going to have to be careful. But being aware of the fact that there's a chemical process going on in your brain, and it's not you or your self-control failing...maybe that helps in some way?

I know the longer I eat this way, the more likely store bought candy and baked goods will taste like crap to me. While this does not necessarily change my initial desire to eat these foods, if I stop and remember that they will not taste as good as they used to, I can usually talk myself out of eating them. It is, however, a different story if it is a good quality chocolate or a homemade baked good with quality ingredients (which is a rare find since most people bake with crap oils or margarine). I usually have a talk with myself and decide if it is worth it.

The other day I was daydreaming about *my* homemade Oreo cupcakes with Oreo buttercream frosting at the end of my Whole30 :-/. I'm not sure thoughts like that will entirely leave my head, but at least I don't have the urges to leave the house at 9pm to get dessert!

Archived