Salad dressing?

LuckyDot

I'm extremely curious as to what I can put on my salads? I've just been avoiding salad period since starting the Whole30, since the idea of a dry salad without some kind of dressing is *bleh*. It seems like something that should be obvious, but hey, this is a great place to get all my questions answered! ^.^

I use mayo thinned out with ACV most regularly.

The most common combo of EVOO and (compliant) balsamic is easy...

If I have an Asian style noodle salad, I might make a dressing out of nut butter, chilli, garlic, lemon/lime juice, water to thin, compliant fish sauce or aminos, maybe a little bit of a date for sweetness(usually left out)

Avo whizzed with acid and herbs/spices...

There are plenty of compliant oils, and vinegars...and store bought dressings are mentioned on the forum (although I'm not sure about these as we don't get them where I am)

My basic dressings are equal parts (usually 1 Tbsp of each) Apple Cider Vinegar and Olive Oil.  Then, I will add in juice from 1/2  a lime, and a few dashes of cilantro.  I've also skipped the cilantro and lime and have done Italian seasoning instead.  Experiment with different seasonings and spices to find what you like.  Far superior to bottled dressings.

Easy creamy Italian dressing I use all the time from Well Fed.

1 teaspoon of Italian herb blend

1/2 teaspoon of minced fresh garlic

salt and pepper to taste

2 Tbsp Vinegar (anything compliant)

1/4 Olive Oil Mayo (If you need the recipe go to www.theclothesmakethegirl.com) it is awesome!

Put all together and mix!

It is so yummy.  Make sure to use fresh garlic and not powder,  it really makes it.

You can really use almost any oil and vinegar recipe by making sure to leave out the sugar(blech, never could understand sweetener in salad dressing) and use compliant oil (olive, walnut, macadamia, sesame, etc) and vinegars (no sugar, sulfites, or malt). For any that call for soy sauce, sub with coconut aminos.

Agree with all of the above.

I second using Olive Oil Mayo from theclothesmakethegirl.com as a basis for salad dressing.

In addition, many of Tessemae's salad dressings are Whole30 approved. http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/dressings (check ingredients as at least one contains soy)

Fresh-squeezed lemon on salad is also good in a pinch.

Be aware that there is not a compliant mayo on the market thus far from everything I have heard on here.  You will have to make your own.  It is not that hard and it tastes better than anything you could find anyway!   :D Depending on how much mayo you use, you may want to double the recipe (I do) so that I am not making it all the time.

Thank you so much! I was considering getting olive oil mayo before so now I definitely will, and I believe I just happen to have some ACV lying around. Horrah! My salad troubles are gone  :lol:

All store bought "Olive Oil" mayos have some other oil blended in as well...usually more than olive oil too. Make your own. It's super easy. This is how I do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

Do you have one of those "olive oil tasting" stores near you? I have one near me and they let you buy samplers of flavored oils and vinegars.

I have gotten black cherry balsamic, tangerine balsamic, espresso balsamic, and just plain old 25 year aged balsamic. All compliant with the whole30. I keep cruets of oil and vinegar in my cabinet and grab-and-go whenever I make a salad. 

They also make TONS of infused olive oils - chipotle, rosemary, orange, chili, garlic, lemon - which are a great base for salad dressings. 

Here are some more ideas: http://paleogrubs.com/salad-dressing-recipes Not all whole30 compliant but definitely some are or could be tweaked to be so.

Question for the mods: is vinegar made from alcohol okay? For example, champagne vinegar or white/red wine vinegar?

PS - My dad is like a salad dressing connoisseur. He makes all of our dressings at home from various oils, acids (vinegar or lemon/lime or mustard), and herbs and spices. I always try to figure out what he adds in to make them taste so good - he just really has an understanding of what flavors go well together! I wish I were that good! I always make the same oil and vinegar dressing!

Do you have one of those "olive oil tasting" stores near you? I have one near me and they let you buy samplers of flavored oils and vinegars.

I have gotten black cherry balsamic, tangerine balsamic, espresso balsamic, and just plain old 25 year aged balsamic. All compliant with the whole30. I keep cruets of oil and vinegar in my cabinet and grab-and-go whenever I make a salad. 

They also make TONS of infused olive oils - chipotle, rosemary, orange, chili, garlic, lemon - which are a great base for salad dressings. 

Here are some more ideas: http://paleogrubs.com/salad-dressing-recipes Not all whole30 compliant but definitely some are or could be tweaked to be so.

Question for the mods: is vinegar made from alcohol okay? For example, champagne vinegar or white/red wine vinegar?

Yes, vinegars made from alcohol are ok. The vinegars that are not Whole30 approved are malt vinegar and any vinegars with added sulfites.

I use mayo thinned out with ACV most regularly.

The most common combo of EVOO and (compliant) balsamic is easy...

If I have an Asian style noodle salad, I might make a dressing out of nut butter, chilli, garlic, lemon/lime juice, water to thin, compliant fish sauce or aminos, maybe a little bit of a date for sweetness(usually left out)

Avo whizzed with acid and herbs/spices...

There are plenty of compliant oils, and vinegars...and store bought dressings are mentioned on the forum (although I'm not sure about these as we don't get them where I am)

What is ACV?

I'm extremely curious as to what I can put on my salads? I've just been avoiding salad period since starting the Whole30, since the idea of a dry salad without some kind of dressing is *bleh*. It seems like something that should be obvious, but hey, this is a great place to get all my questions answered! ^.^

I like using plain ol' light tasting olive oil and red wine vinegar :)

My two go-to dressings are a red wine vinaigrette and a caesar.

Red wine vinaigrette

1/4 c. red wine vinegar

1/3-1/2 c. oil (I use light tasting olive oil or naturally refined avocado oil, if you like EVOO, use that)

1 tsp. mustard (check your ingredients, make sure there's no white wine or sugar)

a pinch each of salt and pepper

1 small clove garlic, minced

you can also add some herbs like oregano, rosemary, parsley, or thyme.

Caesar

Juice of 1 lemon

about twice as much oil as lemon juice

about 1-2 teaspoons each of anchovy paste (or 4-5 anchovy fillets) and mustard

1 clove garlic

pinch of pepper and salt

blend the ingredients for either dressing in the blender and enjoy. After whole30, you can add about 1/4 c. parmesan cheese to the caesar for the "real" thing.

I've tried a lot of salad dressing recipes over the years, and these two are the ones I can make without a recipe and that I keep coming back to over and over. All the rest I've tried just have something "off" about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lazy, so sometimes I just put a little olive oil, vinegar,herbs,paprika, salt and pepper in the bottom of the bowl, whisk it up,and toss the greens in it.

That's less lazy than me...sometimes I just put a glop of mayo on the top and call it dressed.  :ph34r:

Archived