Dates?

Suzanneslh

Best not to. If you're brain's craving sweet & you eat something sweet, you'll carry on craving sweets - your brain can't tell the difference between a date & a bag of M&Ms. Have a drink of water or a cup of tea, acknowledge your craving & let it float past (easier said than done! It does get easier though!)

Yes! and No!

If you have the date as part of the meal and only have one or two (or as part of the recipe (and honestly can eat just one or two), then fine. But like Roz said, your brain cannot tell the difference and you may want to not give into it as psychological craving, mindset of having something sweet after a meal.

Dates became my downfall (after I had completed the 30 days but was staying compliant). My new "date" is raisins, stemming from the same question you pose. Every time I eat a handful of raisins because I simply want something sweet,and for some reason it hits after dinner,  it has not stopped at one handful. I have reached a point where I have had to stop eating raisins altogether.

A moderator posted the term "sugar bomb" to describe dates (or any dried fruit I would assume for that matter). And your brain and body cannot distinguish the two- dried fruit or M&M's - so you may possibly be headed towards a slippery slope.

Years ago when I was doing Atkins, someone suggested a radical way to deal with sugar cravings.  Have the opposite.  A compliant pickle, or some olives works well.  For some reason, when your brain is anticipating something and you shock your taste buds with something radically unexpected, it short circuits the craving.  May not work in all cases, but worth a try if the alternative is caving in.

I absolutely love Medjool Dates... I had a pack in the fridge when I started this W30 and as a result, my go-to, after-meal, snack would be 2 dates... I decided that this was an indulgence for me, even though the actual date was compliant - I've decided not to buy anymore dates! :)

Archived