Marie's first Whole 30

Marienkaefer

Hello!

I at first wasn't sure, if I wanted to write in this forum, but now I decided it might be a good way to get support or ask my questions or just share my thoughts on my whole 30.

Mhh, I guess I should tell how I got here. In the beginning of this year I started a new way to eat of myself called lchf. This stands for low carb high fat and is a program coming from Sweden (the country I currently live in). I started eating almost no carbs, so not even root vegetables or fruit (with exceptions of berries maybe once a week), no kind of sweetener (also not the artificial low carb ones), no alcohol (yes, I am a student and I like to go out so this was a hard one), but having good fats and quality food instead. This went fairly good for me, I lost 38kg (about 83 lbs), going from 118 kg (about 260 lbs) to 80 kg (about 177 lbs) in the first 10 month of this year. As I was losing weight, I also started to do more and more exercise.

After I had some success with losing weight, my American host sister and good friend (from when I did a high school exchange almost 10 years ago) recommended Whole 30 to me. And it sounded really interesting to me and I decided to keep it in mind, for when I need a change or a new motivation or a new kick off, to get on the right track again. And I started reading about it once in a while. I am also writing in a German forum about lchf, and there were two girls doing a Whole 30, out of the same motivation.

At the same time, after going with close to no exceptions for the first 6 month of the year, I started doing more and more of them over the summer and in the fall. I was still losing some weight, but didn't feel that good anymore (stomach problems came back etc.). So I decided I need some kind of change. I was still pushing it and did more exceptions and found more excuses for the exceptions. And then finally this Tuesday, I woke up and decided to start with my Whole 30 the next day as I just simply could not push it into the future anymore.

So, I started my first Whole 30 on Wednesday and I am on my day 4 now.

Day 1 was a bit hard, since I started really spontaneously, but I handled it all right I guess (missed the protein at braekfast). I honestly did not expect to feel such a strong detoxification on day 2, since the changes haven't been that big for me.

The biggest changes for me were to not step on a scale everyday (this is probably an important one, as I don't want to step on a scale for the rest of my life), no dairy products, not weighing my food (didn't do that all the time, but fairly often) and I am allowing myself to eat a little fruit.

Sorry for writing so much, but I felt like I wanted to give this information.

Also I am going to try to write my food here, also for the first 3 days that already passed.

Food of my first 3 days:

Day 1

Breakfast

tomatoes-avocado-salad with lemon and olive oil

Lunch

cauliflower-egg-spinach-grounded beef-salad (a friend of mine cooked, but I looked at every single ingredient and it was whole 30)

Dinner

biff patty with zucchini, salad with baby spinach, tomatoes, avocado, lemon and olive oil and a small fig

Day 2

Breakfast

biff patty with zucchini

Lunch

salad from tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, eggs with lemon and olive oil

Dinner

biff patty with zucchini, salad with baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, olives, lemon and olive oil and a small fig

Day 3

Breakfast

biff patty with zucchini, cucumber, olives

Lunch

salad from tomatoes, avocado, olives, eggs with lemon and olive oil

Dinner

biff patty with spinach, salad with baby spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, olives, lemon and olive oil and a few grapes

I made it through day 4!

Breakfast/Lunch

Biff patty with spinach, cucumber, olives, some avocado, egg frittata (with onion, zucchini and spinach)

Dinner

Biff patty with spinach, salad of lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, egg, olives, avocado with lemon und olive oil, a few grapes

I also did a lot of pre-cooking for the week. So I got tomatoes and bell papers stuffed with biff and vegetables, a biff-zucchini-chilli (well meat sauce, but I will eat it like a chilli), egg frittata (one with zucchini, onion and spinach and one just with spinach and onion), rosted a sweet potato in the oven (it has more crabs than the things I have been eating for the last month, but I am so looking forward to it) cooked eggs and I got one biff patty with spinach left and stocked on avocados (as they were on sale).

So, I will only need to make fresh salads and maybe fry some more eggs during the week and I should have enough food for the whole week. I got tomatoes, cucumber, lettuces, olives, lemon and olive oil at home and might need to stop by the store Wednesday or Thursday (for more fresh salad stuff), but that shouldn't be a problem.

I will need to spend a lot of time in University (I am currently writing my master thesis) next week (or actually the next few weeks), so some days I will bring 2 meals (lunch and dinner) with me and others I will be happy that I only need to reheat dinner when I come home.

I know I am supposed to eat three times a day and not only tow, but I got up latish and started reading things and didn't get around for breakfast until around 12. And then I was busy in the afternoon, went climbing with a friend (a sport I started recently, after losing weight) and started cooking for this week. And I didn't feel hungry until around 8, when I had dinner. And I don't really want to eat something late (like a late 3rd meal after that). But I will try to have 3 meals most days.

Day 5 done!

I am feeling good. Was happy with my food today and handled to eat three times even though I had a lazy Sunday and got up latish and didn't had breakfast until 12.

Breakfast

biff patty with spinach, cucumber, olives, avocado, and egg-frittata with spinach

Lunch

eggs fried in coconut oil and some sweet potato

Dinner

a tomato and a bell pepper filled with biff and zucchini, green beans, salad from lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and olives with olive oil and vinegar

Finished day 6 yesterday, so the first week is almost over. But I was feeling really tired and weak yesterday. I did not have any cravings for food, actually didn't think much about food in between my meals. I got hungry around 4 or 5 hours after the last meal and then ate again and did not get hungry again before sleeping. Mondays I am never able to eat dinner at home, so I had to bring lunch and dinner with me to school, but because I precooked in the weekend, making breakfast and packing both other meals only took around 20 minutes. And I did not had to think about it for the rest of the day, that was great.

Breakfast

chili from biff, tomatoes and zucchini

Lunch

salad from tomatoes, cucumber, eggs and avocado with lemon and olive oil

Dinner

egg frittata with spinach, cucumber and olives (partly stuffed with almonds)

Thanks Sara!

I should probably say that Sara is the person that introduced me to Whole 30. And even though I just decided to start from one day to the other, she is actually doing her 3rd Whole 30 now as well and that is a lot of help, having somebody on the road with you.

I finished day 7 yesterday, so I made it through the first week. I had some more energy yesterday and that feeling that I want to step on a scale right now went away. I am starting to trust myself and my body, that I will not gain wait if I am not stepping on a scale, because it isn't the scale that regulates my weight but me and what I eat and so on. And also I don't think that is the most important part, I can already see some other changes, like my skin getting better.

My food yesterday:

Breakfast

chili from biff, tomatoes and zucchini

Lunch

one tomato and one bell pepper stuffed with biff and zucchini, green beans, avocado

Dinner

egg frittata with spinach, cucumber and olives (partly stuffed with almonds and garlic)

Thank you Sara!

I had a lot of energy today and felt really good. I finished my day 8 today and it just felt normal.

My food today:

Breakfast

egg frittata with spinach, coconut oil

Lunch

chili from biff, tomatoes and zucchini, avocado

Dinner

Salad of lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado, olives, cooked eggs, smoked salmon with olive oil, lemon and vinegar

I was feeling quite well yesterday, a bit tired, but well. I went to the sauna after dinner with friends and when I got home around 11 I was really hungry again. So I had a little evening snack. I am trying to not have any snacks normally.

Breakfast

fried eggs, coconut oil, sweet potato

Lunch

one tomato and one bell pepper stuffed with zucchini and biff, green beans

Dinner

egg-spinach-frittata, carrots, cucumber, olives (partly with almounds), avocado

Evening

cooked egg, smoked salmon, a few olives, carrot

I made it through day 10 and 11. There were some quite hard situations, but I handled them quite well, I'd say. I went out both nights Friday and Saturday and had a lot of fun. Saturday we went for Karaoke and I sang, even though I did not have any alcohol. I just felt that good about myself. And no, I am a terrible singer and not one of those that say they are terrible and, really can sing, I am actually terrible. There was a moment when everybody had shots and I really wanted to join, but I didn't. Also when we left the Pub and people got food I wanted something as well, but luckily the friend who hosted the after party had some leftover egg frittata at home, just vegetables, eggs and oil. Oh and falling asleep really gets easier, I just started sleeping at the after party. And I slept really well.

I also went out Saturday night and didn't feel the need of drinking at all. Since I haven't been drinking most of this year, all my friends know that I will have water and that is normally no problem. I had some coffee to start the evening with, but water for the rest of the evening. But at the end of the evening I was asked buy that acquaintance of a friend, who had been sitting next to me for at least 3 hours and could easily have noticed I get asked if I want water, when somebody gets something from the bar, if I want a drink. I said no two or three times in a normal voice and then had to say it lauder and certain for about 3 more times and the last time got pretty laud. But I thought one time should have been enough. I have been not drinking for 9 month in this year and this was the first time something like that happened and I am still angry about it. As the day before I had a little snack when I came home. It is so nice to have pre-cooked food in the fridge.

Friday (Day 10)

Breakfast

fried eggs, coconut oil, sweet potato

Lunch

Waldorf salad (celery, apple, walnuts, homemade mayonnaise), egg-frittata with asparagus and spinach

Dinner

tuna salad (tuna, tomatoes, cooked egg, homemade mayonaise), lettuces, avocado

Night

vegetable frittata

Saturday (Day 11)

Lunch

Waldorf salad (celery, apple, walnuts, homemade mayonnaise), egg-frittata with asparagus and spinach

Dinner

fried eggs, salad from lettuces, tomatoes, onion, avocado, olives, smoked salmon with walnut oil and vinegar

Night

egg-frittata with asparagus and spinach

So I am currently planning my next Whole 30 week. It is a lot easier when all the food is ready and I know how many meals I will be eating away from home and how many I will be eating at home. I don't want to plan exactly what I eat every day, but have the food ready in the fridge, so I can easily back the food in the morning.

So I planned a few things I will be cooking later today

- spinach frittata

- asparagus and green bean frittata

- cooked eggs

- meatballs with zucchini

- meat sauce with carrots

- oven baked sweet potatoes

- cooked carrots and maybe other vegetables

And I got at home:

- avocados

- olives

- salad stuff (tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces)

- nuts

I should get some more eggs and salad stuff during the week. I want to have eggs left to do some fried eggs at some point.

I will have all lunches at university and some dinners as well. On nights where I have things planned in the evenings and I can't eat there. Also having a dinner invitation for Friday night. But that friend can almost only eat the same things to do allergies and knows what I can eat, so it should be fine.

This is how my week will look like:

Monday: breakfast at home, lunch and dinner at school (got my boardgame evening)

Tuesday: breakfast at home, lunch and dinner at school (going to sauna with friends in the evening)

Wednesday: breakfast at home, lunch at school, dinner at home

Thursday: breakfast at home, lunch and dinner at school (going to a birthday party after school)

Friday: breakfast at home, lunch at school, dinner at a friend's place

Saturday: breakfast at home, lunch at school, not sure about dinner (I am going to a party in the evening, but I am not sure I go directly from school or go home in between)

Sunday: breakfast at home, lunch at school (if I stick to the plan and work on my thesis every day), dinner at home (as I also need to do pre-cooking again)

Done with day 12!

My roommate had a friend over for lunch and invited me to join. She asked exactly what I can have and made a really nice meal. All whole 30, well not the cake, but I skipped that one. Also maybe not enough fat, but I didn't feel like adding anything extra, since I didn't wanted to change her meal. Oh and I love root vegetables. I wasn't eating them when I did low carb before and they are so good.

Breakfast

egg-frittata with asparagus and spinach

Lunch

Meatballs, root vegetables, lettuces and tomatoes, fruit salad

Dinner

Salmon, carrots, lettuces, tomatoes, avocado, olives with walnut oil and vinegar

I started day 13 with a good workout after breakfast. I do feel like I have a lot of energy and I am sleeping really well. I am trying aim for about 8 hours of sleep a night and that seems to be good for me. I used to only get around 6 when university gets busy, as it is right now. Having precooked food and only taking little time in the kitchen in the morning to prepare breakfast and pack lunch and dinner helps a lot with that. Luckily, I don't get tired of eating the same food for a few weeks. That makes it almost even easier for me to not think about the food for the rest of the day, even though I am a person that enjoys good food and cooking and trying new flavours and so on. But I don't really have time for that. I was surprised and happy that it only took around 2 hours cooking for the whole week yesterday.

Here is today's food. I haven't had dinner yet and I might add a fruit (I am having a workshop around dinner time and the schedule said that there will be fruit in the break, but right now I don't feel like it)

Breakfast:

meatballs with zucchini and some avocado

Lunch:

lettuces, tomatoes, avocado, cooked eggs with walnut oil and tomato vinegar

Dinner (planned):

spinach- and asparagus/green bean frittata, olives (partly filled with almonds), cucumber, carrots

Yesterday, two different people told me I look even thinner than last week. And I feel that why as well. Will be interesting to step on a scale at the end of the 30 days, but right now, I am just happy to feel that way.

I had a hard time getting up this morning. My muscle ache from yesterday's exercise isn't really fun, but on the other hand I at least know my body had a good workout. Also, I sleep like a baby, really good and wake up feeling like a new person, but only about every second night and this one unfortunately wasn't one of those.

Packing food for the day is so easy when there are precooked meals in the fridge. I still like doing the boxes in the morning, so I have a choice of what to combine for the day. Also I am totally fine with not eating breakfast food for breakfast. I am a bit scared of vegetables with a lot of carbs and fruits, since I did low carb before (and probably going back to it after Whole 30). Nevertheless I am having a lot of carrots and sweet potatoes in my food today.

My food on day 14:

Breakfast

Meat sauce with carrots

Lunch (planned)

Biff patties with zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots and extra coconut oil

Dinner (planned)

Egg-Frittata with spinach and some with asparagus and green beans, olives (partly stuffed with almonds), cucumber, carrots

I started my day 15 and that means I am almost half way done. That really is a good feeling. I slept really well tonight, but had the hardest time getting up. Woke up early and decided to stay in bed until I have to get up, that might have been a mistake. I should have gotten up right then.

Today is the first day I thought I am getting a bit tired of my food. Not that it is Whole 30, but that I almost eating the same thing every day. But I don't have more time for cooking, at the moment. Doing my Whole 30 right now, might have not been the best idea, because I have to also concentrate on my thesis and even more than I thought 15 days ago. Also my local supermarket doesn't not have a whole big variety on organic meats and I just didn't find the time to go to one of the organic shops in the centre.

I hope to find more energy during the next 2 weeks, I really would need it right now.

My food today:

Breakfast

meat sauce with carrots

Lunch (planned)

meatballs with zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots, extra coconut oil

Dinner (planned)

a friend is going to cook for me and I said eggs and vegetables would be perfect, he knows what I can eat and what I will not eat

So I finished day 15 yesterday! That also means I am already half way through my Whole 30. I really sleep a lot better now, but I still have problems getting up. I try to go to bed no later than 8 hours before I need to get up. It used to be 6 hours before I need to get up, so I am giving my body what it needs. Or at least I am trying to.

Last night, I had a really nice dinner with a friend. We cooked together and created a great Whole 30 meal. My friend is almost restricted to the same food you can eat on Whole 30, due to allergies and didn't mind to follow my rules. Also he is really good with spices, I normally prefer my own seasoning, because I know what I like, not in this case so. We made a vegetable-coconut-curry with some fish and added some eggs we mixed with a bit of coconut milk and backed in the oven. The eggs got a really interesting texture, almost like a sponge or maybe tofu, but tasting like eggs. But tofu is not a food I would be graving at all and the plan wasn't to make something that is like tofu, just ended up that why, because we were too lazy to fry the eggs in a pan.

I realised sometime during the last 2 weeks that as a kid I learned every meal should contain 3 things: vegetables, protein (meat) and some carb and most often the carb would be the biggest part of the meal. And now I am realising, that this is wrong and that is should be the biggest part vegetables, followed by protein and the smallest (but still important) part good fats. I am trying to follow this with every meal now and it feels good.

Yesterday, I boxed the food for today in the evening. That only worked, because I did not add any fresh salad, those I like to chop in the morning. I brought with me two food boxes and probably going to stay late at university and skipping the party I would be invited to in the evening.

So, my food today (day 16):

Breakfast

meat sauce with carrots

Lunch (planned)

meat ball with zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots and extra coconut oil

Dinner (planned)

spinach- and asparagus-/green bean-frittata, avocado, tomato, a pear

I am in my second half of my Whole 30 and I am sleeping better, but I have still problems getting up in the morning. I am trying to give myself enough time to sleep, more than I have done before.

I am currently really stressed about school and it isn't the kind of stress you can get rid of, it's the one you just have get through and make plans for everyday in order to get some things done, without losing the big pictures. So I am probably not able to put the time I should into my Whole 30, but it still felt better doing it now than not doing it.

Sport seems to be a good contrast to sitting in front of a desk and writing on my thesis right now. So I am actually thinking I am taking quite good care of myself. (at least compared to the students that stay even longer at night, come really early, hardly sleep and eat ready packed food from the supermarket or the university – but I have learned a long time ago, that I am not doing my best work if I am not taking care of myself, even if I am running out of time)

My food today – Whole 30 day 17

Breakfast

Fried eggs with sweet potatoes and coconut oil

Lunch

Cooked eggs, Avocado, Tomatoes, Onion

Dinner (planned)

At a friend's places, let's see what he cooks

Oh and I am running out of food, need to get to the store tonight or tomorrow morrning

Food last night was incredibly good. And my friend handled to serve me and another guest that that is eating vegan, without even making it a discussion on the dinner table. There was coliflour-spinach-egg-salad (one version without eggs), aubergine with tomatoes and olives, almond bread (I of course skipped that) with mushroom tapenade (was great without the bread as well), and a coconut curry with vegetables and fish (and beans instead of fish in another pot). I loved the food.

Food of day 18 isn't as exciting. Though I haven't decided on dinner jet, as I actually going to be home and cook fresh for a change.

Breakfast

Fried eggs with sweet potatoes and coconut oil

Lunch

Cooked eggs and a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, olives with olive oil and tomato vinegar

Dinner

Not sure jet, but maybe fish (bought great one this morning, I love living on the coast)

Last night I had some time to cook and made myself a really tasteful dinner. Since I am not home often in the evening these days I enjoy those moments. I had some fish that I rolled in coconut flour and some spices and fried in coconut oil, broccoli cooked in coconut milk and flavoured in an Indian style and a salad with tomatoes, cucumber and onion with walnut oil and tomato vinegar. I really liked my creation. Oh just to have said it, I am not really using any mixed spices and if I do I check if all ingredients are allowed, but I say spices here because I am too lazy to write them all down and sometimes not even remember all of them. I love trying out new flavours with food.

So my food today: Whole 30 day 19

Morning

Fried eggs with coconut oil, salat of tomatoes, cucumber, onion with olive oil and tomato vinegar and a little piece of last night's fish

Lunch

Leftovers from last night (fish and broccoli)

Dinner

Don't know yet, but I should also do some precooking for the week

Day 20 today! So almost 2/3 done.

I must say I don't feel the magic as much as other people do. But there are reasons for that.

- I am stressed and almost taking myself to a limit with my school work (but I do not have a choice right now)

- I am giving myself at least 7 to 8 hours sleep a night, but I might need more (since I still have a hard time getting up in the morning

- I was eating fairly healthy before my Whole 30 (low carb, no grain, no sugar, no sweetener, at most a little honey during the last months, no potatoes, no soy, no legumes, but peanuts sometimes), so the difference just isn't as big

But there are still some really positive changes I have noticed:

- my skin is nicer, really clean in my face and seems good around the rest of my body (my skin isn't terrible after losing all that weight, but it can use any support it gets)

- I am not tired during the day and feel like I have a lot of energy

- I am not thinking about food all day long (do be fair that has been less before my Whole 30 as well, but just getting less and less, especially since I precook and have food ready for the whole week)

- I have definitely lost weight or my body is shaping itself (doesn't really matter which one, but the jeans I bought on day 7 is already loose again, good thing it was second hand)

Last night I came home a bit later then I planned and still had to do precooking for the week. I was surprised that it only took me about 2 hours even though I cooked almost all different meals from last week.

So during this week, I will be eating the following things:

- vegetable-fish-coconut-curry

- butternut squash – pumpkin – coconut – vegetables

- chicken with amount - pumpkinseed – crust

- Waldorf salad (celery, apply, homemade mayonnaise, walnuts)

- eggs (cooked and fried when I eat at home)

- avocados

- salads

- smoked salmon

Last night I had half of the Waldorf salad, some chicken and fried eggs. Good meal to finish day 19.

Today's food: Whole 30, day 20

Breakfast

leftover broccoli with coconut milk, fried eggs

Lunch

rest of Waldorf salad, some chicken

Dinner

vegetable-fish-coconut-curry

Hi Marien! Your meals sound yummy! I was just wondering - what is the biggest difference between what you personally eat on LCHF and what you are eating on Whole30?

Thank you!

The biggest difference for me personally between LCHF and Whole 30:

- 3 meals instead of 2 (on lchf, I most days only had two meals, often the first one around 10 and the second one around 8)

- I am allowing myself to eat fruits (on lchf I would only eat barriers or papaya once in a while)

- I am allowing myself to eat sweet potatoes and other root vegetables (on lchf, I would have no sweet potatoes and really little other root vegetables)

- no milk products (I wouldn't drink milk, but I had like cream, cheese and other milk products like fat yoghurt or cream fresh, but not a whole lot since I tried to get most of the few carbs I eat out of vegetables)

- lchf/paleo bread (I had that once in a while, maybe every month, but definitely not every week)

- lchf/paleo cakes or goodies (had those rarely, not every month)

- dark chocolate (85% or more, once in a while, maybe once a month)

- I decided to use no artificial sweetener on the beginning of lchf, but had really little bits of honey (like on spoon on 16 muffins, where I would eat one) later one (and since I didn't had those things often, that was not even once a month)

Archived