Marie's first Whole 30

Marienkaefer

Hi Marien,

I just wanted to encourage you to keep up the good work!  Your story at the beginning of this thread is really inspiring.  I too have had some success with fat loss while doing low carb - lost about 60 lbs a few years ago.  Then I had a health crisis and a bunch of the weight came back on.  :(   I just found out about Whole30 a little over a week ago and have decided to take the challenge.

Anyway, keep it up!

Hi Marien,

I just wanted to encourage you to keep up the good work!  Your story at the beginning of this thread is really inspiring.  I too have had some success with fat loss while doing low carb - lost about 60 lbs a few years ago.  Then I had a health crisis and a bunch of the weight came back on.  :(   I just found out about Whole30 a little over a week ago and have decided to take the challenge.

Anyway, keep it up!

Thank you! I hope Whole 30 will help you to find your way!

I am eating Whole 30, but I might be too stressed for Whole 30 with other things. And I should add precooking is actually helping a lot with the stress, so somehow whole 30 is possible.

So my food during the last 2 days

Day 21

Breakfast

fried eggs with coconut oil and salad of tomatoes, cucumber and onion with vinegar and olive oil

Lunch

butternut squash – pumpkin – coconut – vegetables, chicken with amount - pumpkinseed – crust

Dinner

vegetable-fish-coconut-curry

Day 22

Breakfast

fried eggs with coconut oil and salad of tomatoes, cucumber and onion with vinegar and olive oil

Lunch

vegetable-fish-coconut-curry

Dinner

butternut squash – pumpkin – coconut – vegetables, cooked eggs

Day 24

Vegetable-fish-coconut-Curry

Pumpkin-coconut-vegetables, chicken with almond-pumpkinseed-crust

Fried eggs, fried parsnips, Salad with lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion with vinegar and olive oil and a fruit salad with pears, kiwi and greaps

Day 25

Fried eggs, sweet potatoes, olive oil

Salad with lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, cooked eggs, avocado, smoked salmon with lemon, olive oil and vinegar and a Mango

Day 26

Fried eggs, sweet potatoes, olive oil

Fried Parsnips, chicken with almond-pumpkinseed-crust

Fried Salmon, salad of Lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado, cooked egg with olive oil and vinegar

Day 27

Fried eggs, sweet potatoes, coconut oil

Coconut-Spinach and cooked eggs

Fried Parsnips, chicken with almond-pumpkinseed-crust

Day 28

Fried eggs, sweet potatoes, coconut oil

Coconut-Spinach and cooked eggs and an avocado

Fried Parsnips, chicken with almond-pumpkinseed-crust and a pear

Day 29

M1: Fried eggs, salad of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, avocado with olive oil and vinegar

M2: Chicken with almond-pumpkin seed crust, salad of tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, avocado with olive oil and vinegar

M3: Root vegetables, fish, salad of tomatoes, cucumber, avocado with lemon, olive oil and vinegar and some olives

Day 30

M1: was too busy to eat in the morning

M2: fried eggs, salad with lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, avocado with olive oil and vinegar, kiwi and a few grapes

M3: fried parsnips, salad with lettuces, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, cooked eggs, avocado, smoked salmon with lemon, vinegar and olive oil, kiwi and some grapes

So I finished my first Whole 30 and I feel quite good about it. I never started feeling that amazing, as some people say they do, but that might be okay. I wasn't eating all crap before and already felt quite good. But I did get more sleep those 30 days and I am in general feeling quite good about myself. And I am happy I did it and that I finished it and I learned a lot.

From today on I will be eating lchf again, but going to keep some elements of Whole 30, besides the ones that are already the same anyway (like no grains and good fats). I will from now on try to have vegetables, protein and fat in every meal. Now I often did not have vegetables or protein. I will eat less dairy products, but I will have some, like high quality cheese and butter, but no milk and yoghurt. Have some fruit sometime, but less than in this month and the same for root vegetables.

I will probably eat 2 instead of 3 meals again, that just seems to fit me better. I might have 3 meals some days, but 2 will be the normal again. I will have some lchf/paleo/low carb homemade bread as I did before, but not as much.

I was going for high quality food before and maybe even a bit more during Whole 30 and I will keep that. Also I was not eating grains before and I will not start now. I might eat lignums really rarely, with exceptions of peanuts and soya sauce that I eat more frequently, but not often.

Right now I don't feel like in the need of dark chocolate or an lchf/paleo cake or something like that and I want to keep those things to a minimum and learn myself to rather have a piece of fruit, even if it might have a few carbs more.

Lastly I stepped on a scale this morning and it showed 77,5kg (171 lbs), so that is a weight loose of 2,5 kg (6 lbs) and I think I can be happy with that. I am simply not losing weight as I did when I started almost a year ago.

Also this was most likely not my last Whole 30. And I am still searching for the way I want to eat after I finished losing weight and just want to hold it. And that might be closer to whole 30 and paleo then lchf. I am also not entirely sure what weight I want to reach, I just know I am not there yet.

Congratulations! 2.5 kilos is still great! 

I also live in Sweden, just moved here about 3.5 months ago, and would love some advice on grocery shopping. I'm also a student, so going out is an issue for me as well, but more importantly, money... Just wondering what are some of your go tos when shopping? Also, I'd love the recipe for your paleo meatballs!

Congratulations! 2.5 kilos is still great! 

I also live in Sweden, just moved here about 3.5 months ago, and would love some advice on grocery shopping. I'm also a student, so going out is an issue for me as well, but more importantly, money... Just wondering what are some of your go tos when shopping? Also, I'd love the recipe for your paleo meatballs!

Sorry for the late answer!

My meatballs are really basic. Grounded beff and eggs. Probably 2 eggs for 500g meat. I sometimes add cooked spinach or shredded zucchini for a different taste and to make sure I get enough vegetables. When it comes to spices I always add salt and pepper, but I also like nutmeg, garlic, chilli, ginger and cinnamon in my meatballs. I belong to those people who spice after feeling, so they get different every time. Fry them in some good oil. I always check one if they are ready.

For the shopping. Quality food in Sweden is expensive. For a fact all food is expensive here. I spend a big part of my money on food, but I think I am worth it to eat good food. I shop at Hemköp, not the cheapest, but I get most things and they have some organic. I mainly go for organic on meats and eggs. With vegetables/fruits I go for local and especially in the winter often for frozen, as the fresh stuff isn't as fresh anyway. After all this is a country where the growing season is rather short. There are some organic shops in the city centre where I get extras like coconut oil or almond flour. If you are more on a budget Lidl or Netto might be the shops you want to go to. I sometimes get some things there, but not as often.

Thank you! Yes, I am amazed every month at how much money I spend on food, but I tell myself I can't beat myself up about it because I'm buying healthy, quality food, not chips and candy. Eko meats are so, so expensive so for now I'm sticking to meat that is Swedish, as I've heard a lot of store brand stuff contains Danish meat, which isn't held to as high of standards. 

I think it's my new goal in life to make enough money to have a giant kitchen with all of the appliance and be able to afford all of the healthy, organic groceries I want lol. 

Archived