Who's made what from Well Fed 2!

Roz Griffiths

If you want to make plantain nachos you can search online for plantain chips. There are a lot of recipes, just use compliant oil. Then make your own Mexican ground beef adding some cumin, chili powder, cilantro, jalapeno and maybe some lime. Pile the meat on the chips, add some guacamole and your done. If you have the book It Starts With Food there is a recipe for Mexican chicken in the back of the book, you can substitute any meat that you prefer. Enjoy.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made quite a few things from Well Fed 2 and almost everything has been delicious.  Two exceptions.  The ketchup was horrible.  Very bland and watery tasting.  It used it in her Russian Dressing recipe to salvage some of it and that was delicious.  Just not by itself.  At all.  The plantain nachos call for way too much spice for one pound of meat.  Waaaay too much!  And I like heavily spiced food but this was inedible.  I had to double check the recipe to see if I messed up somehow.  Next time I will halve the spices or double the meat.  

The plantain nachos themselves were great and an excellent idea.  They were just way too big to fit in my mouth and ended up breaking and the filling getting all over the place.  Next time I will cut the plantain on the diagonal and do 2 pieces baked together instead of 4 rounds.

I also noticed some of her recipes are very saucy and soupy when I don't think they were meant to be.  I cut back on the liquids and they come out great.

I think the plantain nachos are a book exclusive. I haven't seen them anywhere else either, and I have theclothesmakethegirl.com liked on facebook, where Mel shares if she allows other bloggers to give away some of her recipes from the book to entice people.[/quote

Ok I'll wait for the book, thanks!

For those that want it, the recipe for the Plaintain Nachos is available online at a blog called "Katrina Runs".  The link is below.

LINK:   http://www.katrina-runs.com/plantain-nachos-from-well-fed-2

I posted this earlier, but it was removed by a moderator because it appeared to be posted to her blog without Melissa Joulwan's permission.  The mods contacted Melissa and found out that "Katrina" is a friend of Melissa Joulwan and had permisison to post the recipe.  I'll be making it tonight, and buying the book ASAP!

I made the coleslaw over the weekend.  I've only just quickly tasted it (I'm saving it for my lunch today) but the dressing was delicious on my finger, so I'm sure it'll be great.  It made a TON though. I used my biggest bowl to mix it and I was getting cabbage and carrots all over the place!

I agree with a previous poster about the pan fried sardines - delicious!  I was a bit skeptical, but they were yummy.  I put them over baby spinach instead of lettuce (since that's what I had in the house) and it was wonderful.  I wish I could make that for lunch every day but I'm not lucky enough to work from home all that often!

Glad to hear so much positive praise for the sardines....I bought some of the Wild Planet ones at Costco just so I could make them...

Im off work tomorrow so Im going to cook them just for myself in case it stinks up the house. 

The nachos are delicious. They hit every taste bud in my mouth and had me wishing for more.

I made the faux pho, only I used chicken instead of the spare ribs, and that was OK. Chicken soup. :)

I made the coleslaw, too, and it was good, but next time I need to cut the recipe in half.

I'm excited to try the sardines! I have a can at home waiting to be used for lunch on the weekend or a Friday night dinner (when I don't need leftovers for lunch the next day).

Well... I guess I have to come clean and admit I've made EVERY recipe in Well Fed 2, at least three times :)

It's been so much fun reading about your cooking adventures. I'm THRILLED that so many of you have tried the sardines. I love those little guys, but when we were putting together the cookbook, I said to my husband Dave, "No one is going to make these. They're too weird." I'm so happy you all have proven me wrong.

Happy, healthy cooking to you! Thanks for buying our book and sharing your enthusiasm for the recipes.

Hugs!

Melissa

Well... I guess I have to come clean and admit I've made EVERY recipe in Well Fed 2, at least three times :)

It's been so much fun reading about your cooking adventures. I'm THRILLED that so many of you have tried the sardines. I love those little guys, but when we were putting together the cookbook, I said to my husband Dave, "No one is going to make these. They're too weird." I'm so happy you all have proven me wrong.

Happy, healthy cooking to you! Thanks for buying our book and sharing your enthusiasm for the recipes.

Hugs!

Melissa

You are amazing! I haven't made one recipe that I didn't love!!! Thank you :)

Hugs!

Melissa

Too cute!  We have a celebrity in our midst.

It was my intention to make every recipe in the book, one by one.  Haven't gotten there yet cuz I keep getting cravings for the recipes I already made!

I made the beef short ribs. They do take some time, but then again, they are short ribs, so you gotta give them time. I started with 4 pounds of grassfed beef short ribs. It was more than the recipe called for but that is the size that I had available. They came out awesome.

There was more liquid leftover from cooking than I thought should be added directly to the meat (probably because I added additional liquid due to having more ribs.) I saved off the extra liquid in case we needed extra gravy. (Who doesn't need extra gravy??) The next day after the gravy cooled in the fridge it was gelatinous. My husband scooped some out on a spoon and jiggled it and exclaimed "Look at this!!!" Yummy lip smacking grassfed gravy!

I took a before pic, but forgot to take an after pic. Give this recipe a try. The meat is great in a lettuce wrap, on top of a salad or over some cauliflower rice. We skipped the mushroom caps cuz I'm not a big fan of that much mushrooms.

post-39420-0-27978500-1390913747_thumb.j

I happened upon some pork chops on 'manager's special' (AKA, buy this or we're throwing it out) Sunday. I wasn't planning on using any recipe to cook them, but then I remembered the fiesta pork chop recipe in WF2. Had most of the ingredients, so I went for it. Smoked out my apartment :huh: , then didn't cook the chops long enough and they were still raw inside when I put them back in the liquid. So I added more chicken broth and let them simmer longer. Turned out great!

Too cute!  We have a celebrity in our midst.

It was my intention to make every recipe in the book, one by one.  Haven't gotten there yet cuz I keep getting cravings for the recipes I already made!

So cool!  I am actually a little star struck!  LOL!

Oooh. I may have to try that.

I dropped my open container of Sunrise Spice on the floor Monday night. I was way sadder about how much was now unusable than I was about having to clean it up.

Ah! Bummer! No crying over spilled milk on the Whole30, but definitely crying over spilled Sunrise Spice.

This week, I made:

Piña Colada Chicken on Coconut Cauliflower rice -- NEW FAVOURITE!! Oh so comforting.

Cincinnati Chili -- My husband loves it, but it's too spicy for me even with the cayenne halved. I guess I'm still a Chocolate Chili devotee!

Beef Stew Provençal -- Delicious, and I guess I like balsamic because I wouldn't agree with the poster upthread who said there's too much in this (maybe make sure your balsamic is still good? Old balsamic is nasty).

I can't remember if I already posted this, but I also made the Fiesta Pork Chops a couple of weeks ago. They were good, but IMO don't make great leftovers. Also I'm just not that into pork chops, heh.

We're done our Whole30 as of tonight, so this weekend will bring me Plantain Nachos for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember if I already posted this, but I also made the Fiesta Pork Chops a couple of weeks ago. They were good, but IMO don't make great leftovers. Also I'm just not that into pork chops, heh.

We're not into pork chops either, but using that recipe with chicken breasts instead is phenomenal. And I think the leftovers work great, too.

• 1 month later...

Made the Cincinnati chili and zucchini noodles. Yum-o-Rama!

I was skeptical of boiling the meat, but I followed the directions, simmered 2.5 hours, and am pleased with the results. Great texture, rich, full taste.

My only regret is not digging out the spiral slicer. I tried two different julienne slicers. One was far too small -- they were practically disintegrating -- so I switched to the larger one...which made them way too thick. (Imagine fettuccine that's the right width, but stiff, maybe 3 or 4 times as thick.) Had to slice them all over again with a knife. In order to get 'spaghetti' thickness, I think I'd prefer the spirooli. Or a julienne slicer that's the right size.

A little disappointed because I wanted to make the Cincinnati Chili, but was googling instead of looking at the cookbook on my phone, and ended up making the Chocolate Chili (for the 2nd time)... Oh well, it's still really yummy :) We are having it over the Citrus Cauliflower Rice (just okay, but I didn't have onion, so I would try the recipe again), but I used lime & cilantro instead of lemon & parsley. I have also made the Mustard-Garlic Brussels Sprouts (for the 2nd time), and they are delicious.

Fiesta Pork Chops - good, Chinese Five-Spice Ribs - good (but needed a little more seasoning, and I didn't care for the dipping sauce), Italian Pork Roast (but with BBQ seasonings listed), Plantain Nachos (but my nachos didn't stick to each other, so I just had plantain chips - still worked with nachos; I just piled everything on top), Casablanca Carrots (OMG TRY THESE).

Also, just throwing this out there (not sure if it's in one of the cookbooks), but you HAVE to try this dressing:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/02/24/southwestern-cumin-lime-dressing/

Archived