Who's made what from Well Fed 2!

Roz Griffiths

I made the Cincinnati Chili tonight-- AMAZING (I haven't made the chocolate chili from Well Fed).  I will double this recipe the next time I make it, so I have some to freeze.  I served it over spaghetti squash and topped with onion and avocado. 

The chocolate chili is really good :) I plan on making the Cincinnati Chili this week! 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pina colada chicken is most definitely a keeper.  I couldn't get the sauce to thicken, will have to try it with a different brand of coconut milk.  But, it's a leftover that my husband will willingly eat for breakfast  :)

I've made the barbecue sauce as well, we enjoyed it, but not quite the flavour we were expecting-- a bit overly tomato flavoured..  Maybe British barbecue sauce is different?

annabel, in the States you'll find approximately a bajillion kinds of barbecue sauce! But when most people think of it generically, it is tomato-based, either with a sweet flavor or a spicier flavor (or both, if you're lucky). Memphis, Kansas City, and Texas barbecue are all typically served with a tomato-based sauce. I'll have to try her version!

On the coconut - I tried to whip Thai Kitchen coconut milk to get coconut cream and it wouldn't because of the guar gum. I wonder if that could be it?

Thanks, Amanda - I'd followed instructions on Nom Nom Paleo, which included refrigerating it overnight, but the guar gum didn't allow it to separate fully even there. I'll get a different brand next time - just thought that might have affected annabel's results too.

I did the BBQ version of the Italian pork roast yesterday but I subbed in a beef roast since that's what I had.  Not a good idea.  It was seasoned well, but so much leaner than pork that it was kind of dry.

I really enjoyed the Sunrise Scramble and I use the extra spice mix from it on all kinds of things, too.  It's particularly tasty on roasted winter squash. :)

annabel, I'm from the UK too and I was surprised by the BBQ sauce too! I added some smoke paprika for that smoky flavour, but it is still predominantly tomato-ey. As you said, we like it, not so much as a dip for (e.g.) sweet potato chips but more as a sauce to put on top of either the BBQ beef waffle sandwich from WF2 or just a simple browned minced beef from the cookup. Sounds like the US is much better stocked on the BBQ sauce front! 

Since my last (extensive) post I've made:

- Lebanese bangers (from the Bugers, Balls and Burgers): This was really good. My boyfriend and I were on the way home from a Crossfit competition and were trying to decide what to have for dinner. I wanted to eat at home to save money and the stress of trying to navigate a menu on the Whole30, he wanted to eat out at a Lebanese place. We compromised and made the Lebanese bangers with the gyro sauce and a chopped salad and lemon greens. It was really good. I think we were both surprised at how unbelieveably tasty it was, most definitely better than anything we would have been able to get off a menu at a restaurant. So four thumbs up to this one!

- West African Chicken Stew: I did a major cookup last week which involved making this and the Moroccan meatballs from WellFed1 to last us a few meals for the week. The chicken stew was very good. Quite unusual in flavour, quite surprising (I'm not all that familiar with West African food!) but I used a whole chicken cut up into 10 pieces (rather than skinless, boneless chicken thighs) and it did us a good 5 meals (although the last meal, lunch for me, involved two chicken wings which taught me a lesson -- save the wings for cooking in the oven, they don't do so well in a stew!). It was fine using a whole chicken cut up (and so much cheaper!) but easier to use skinless boneless thighs, just because of taking ease of eating at lunchtime at work! But otherwise, no complaints.

Just made the Cincinnati chili and I LOVED it.  I liked it much better than the chocolate chili. I even did half ground beef, half turkey because that's what I had on hand and I wasn't up for heading to the store.  Also made the gingered zucchini soup and it is to die for. So creamy and perfect for these cold, winter nights.  

I did the BBQ version of the Italian pork roast yesterday but I subbed in a beef roast since that's what I had. Not a good idea. It was seasoned well, but so much leaner than pork that it was kind of dry.

I did the same and mine also turned out dry, I thought, although my husband thought it was fine. I used it in a bunch of hot plates, and just made sure to use lots of sauce (Sunshine, Stirfry, etc.), and it sort of remoisturized itself, haha. I would think maybe beef would just need a shorter cooking time, I'm just now sure how much shorter.

Oh, and I made the cabbage roses last night and they were surprisingly delicious. We aren't big cabbage fans but I had half a head of both red and green to get rid of, and this was my favourite way to eat it so far.

I made the BBQ sauce lastnight... I threw it out. It was horrible. I'm sorry, I love so many things from the first well fed, and Mel's recipes are so well tested I can usually trust them and know they will be good, but this one...no, just no. It was absolutely disgusting. Maybe it's because I absolutely hate the taste of apple cider vinegar. Maybe it's because I prefer very sweet, tangy bbq sauce and this was spicy and savory. I don't know, but I could not adjust it enough to make it edible. I scrapped it and made a blueberry BBQ sauce with frozen blueberries and white vinegar instead.

Made the Beef Stew Provencal tonight.  It was dreadful.  The marinade calls for 3/4 cup of balsamic vinegar.  That's fine, I use it in marinades all the time, but I don't cook with it.  This recipe calls for adding the marinade to the stew pot with the other liquids, then you simmer for almost 2 hours.  It was all I could taste in the finished product.  I like the idea of adding the veggies at the end on top of the meat so they steam and the zucchini doesn't get mushy, but if you stir it up to store leftovers, the zukes and carrots take on a muddy, brown, unappetizing look because of the balsamic. I'll eat it, because I refuse to waste 2 pounds of beautiful grass fed beef, but this is one recipe I won't be making again.

I made the Italian Balls and they were so good!  It's the first time I have used baking soda and cream of tartar in meatballs but it really did make a difference in the moisture!  I made a quick tomato sauce using a large can of crushed tomatoes, EVOO, fresh garlic, pepper, and Italian Seasoning and served everything over roasted spaghetti squash.  Yum! 

Made the Italian Pork Roast with the BBQ seasonings last night and it was very moist, though I think I should've drained the juice off it first before shredding in the crockpot because now it's mushy and watery, and doesn't seem seasoned at all :/ I also made the BBQ sauce. I thought it was pretty good, very tangy and you can definitely taste the ACV; might cut back on that just a tad next time.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of Mel's recipes call for a lot more vinegar than I would expect. Sometimes, I prefer to cut it back a little.  She apparently likes vinegar more than I do!

My husband made the West African Stew last night and we served it over spaghetti squash (with a side of sauteed kale) and it was wonderful!  I was really skeptical since I've never been a big peanut butter fan and the idea of using it (well, sunflower seed butter in this case) in a savory dish didn't appeal to me.  It was so subtle that I didn't mind it and like most of her recipes, the spices were spot on.  I was sorely tempted to lick my plate clean!

Next time, I'll double it, for sure!

I also made the Dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) over the weekend and we are still eating them as snacks.  Delicious!  Her recipe almost matched my aunt's greek version exactly (subbing cauliflower rice for regular rice, of course) with the exception of the addition of the Lebanese 7-spice blend.  It was a nice touch.  Point of note: the recipe calls for an 8 oz jar of grape leaves.  My aunt's called for a 16 oz jar with the same amount of filling.  I was unsure what to do about it until I saw that the jar I bought was 15 oz but then in parenthesis said (8 oz of leaves).  The recipe made a lot which is good since it was a bit labor intensive.

Lastnight I made the bbq beef and coleslaw with my own blueberry bbq sauce and some roasted cubed sweet potatoes - it was fantastic! Everything worked so well together and the coleslaw is the best I've ever had - even better the next day after the cabbage has wilted just a little into the dressing and the grated onion has mellowed a bit. Getting a bite with some of everything in it was so delicious!

So I am officially done with my W30 but still sticking to complaint foods!! I am dying to try the sweet potato waffle but do not have a waffle iron. Did someone upthread say they found an alternative way to make it? 

I have pretty much read it cover to cover and Im going to make the Tod Mun cakes sunday!! I only have green curry paste on hand so I will use that instead of red. Probably be ok. 

The lamb tagine, plaintain nachos, coconut chicken are at the top of the list to try next. 

And the almost amba. 

So I am officially done with my W30 but still sticking to complaint foods!! I am dying to try the sweet potato waffle but do not have a waffle iron. Did someone upthread say they found an alternative way to make it? 

I am sure you could cook them like pancakes since waffle batter is really just a thicker pancake batter.  ;)

Just flipped my Oven-Fried Salmon Cakes and they smell heavenly! I substituted sunflower meal for almond flour (for my little girl), and hoping that won't muck with the texture too much.

The Deli Tuna Salad is my new go-to quick lunch. It's also awesome with salmon.

The Fiesta Pork Chops were absolutely delicious, and perfectly solved the "what am I going to do with these pork chops I just found languishing in the back of my freezer?" problem.

My 6-year-old son wants to put Better Butter on everything. Everything.

But the surprise hit has been the Pan-Fried Sardines!!! It was "Choose Your Own Adventure" dinner night at our house, and I just made them for myself (as per the recipe!), but everyone had to have a taste. The kids came in from the other room to see what smelled so good, and even my sardine-hating partner liked them!

I just got mine in the mail yesterday! I made the plantain chip nachos. The taco meat was so delicious, I will *never* again in my life make taco meat any other way (used to use those crappy taco seasoning pouches.) My plantain chips weren't cut quite thin enough to make them all stick together nicely, but they were crispy and good. I topped it with avocado and green onion.

I'm making the Cincinnati chili tomorrow, and bought stuff for the Taj Mahal Chicken as well. Can't wait!

I would love this recipe but can't find it online.. Do you have a link or just in the book? (The plantain nachos is what I mean)

I think the plantain nachos are a book exclusive. I haven't seen them anywhere else either, and I have theclothesmakethegirl.com liked on facebook, where Mel shares if she allows other bloggers to give away some of her recipes from the book to entice people.

Archived