Who's made what from Well Fed 2!

Roz Griffiths

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trez - that lime dressing is one of the "You know how you could do that?"s in Well Fed, under the Creamy Italian Dressing recipe, and it IS awesome. I've been drizzling it over my plantain nachos for lunches!

Thanks! I was wondering if/why it wasn't in the cookbook ;) We had a compliant dinner at my non-Whole30 friends' house a couple weeks ago, and I made this, with a wedge salad (make your own) platter.... everybody was fighting over the dressing bowl and trying to get the remains with their cucumber slices. I'm surprised someone didn't start licking the bowl. haha.

And - thanks for the suggestion - I am totally going to try drizzling over my plantains tonight. I normally just pan fry the plantains in coconut oil. I bet it would still be good drizzled on top though.

Made the Cincinnati chili not a favorite at all. The chocolate and vinegar didn't make sense to me but I added them anyway. Big mistake! I should have left them out. I can eat cloves and allspice with pork (as in Pork Pie) but not with beef. I am so glad I made 1/4 of a recipe. Now I have to see if I can make spaghetti sauce out of the leftovers.

I made a DOUBLE batch of the salmon cakes, but substituted pumpkin for sweet potato, as I had a can open I wanted to use!  I also added jalepeno.  They are PHENOMENAL and I have literally been eating them for breakfast (with fried eggs, tomato, and avocado), lunch (on an Asian style Cobb salad) and dinner (with sweet potato and Brussels sprouts).  Still not sick of them.

Made the Japanese Gyoza Meatbals with the dipping sauce - amazing!  I love gyoza, but being a vegetarian for 18 years, and then being a gluten-free semi-vegetarian for another year, it's been tough to find any that I can eat.  Let me say it again - amazing!! 

I know I made another recipe from the book and it was great, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.  RIbs, maybe?

• 4 months later...

I make the Italian Pork Roast, Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup, and batches of the Sunrise Spice on an almost weekly basis. I've made the BBQ sauce and it's okay, but I tend to like my BBQ sauce sweet as opposed to vinegary (which is hard to accomplish and make it Whole30 compliant). I've made the Lizard Sauce before and love that, and I just made the Deconstructed Hamburger Salad last weekend for the first time, and thought it was surprisingly awesome! After hearing everyone rave about the chicken livers and pan-fried sardines, I might have to work up the nerve to try those dishes...

• Moderators

Recipes I've made so far:

Casablanca Carrots - wonderful cold salad to eat alone or atop greens.

Lizard Sauce - I could eat this on EVERYTHING. Eggs are probably my favorite. So tasty!
Merguez Sausage Seasoning + Burgers, Balls, Bangers: I make this spice blend and the Merguez Lamb Burgers or Bangers, often.
Italian Bangers
Oven-Fried Salmon Cakes - so delicious, and penny-wise.
Fiesta Pork Chops - bye bye bland pork chops.
Pan-Fried Plantains - perfect for breakfast.
Green Beans with Sizzled Garlic - so flavorful - a huge hit!
Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup - a "hug in a bowl" indeed.
Crispy Chicken Livers - freaking delicious. Do be extremely GENTLE when shaking the livers in their coating.

Stuffed Grape Leaves - turned out wonderfully, took them to a holiday party. Definitely take a little work.

West African Chicken - another delicious way to make poultry.

Mashed Cauliflower - Less "heavy" than mashed potatoes, and so much faster. No peeling, boiling or mashing!
Basic Cauliflower Rice - especially great with a curry, saucy dish or soup.
Steam-sauteed Veggies - a weekly staple.
Roasted Spaghetti Squash - always have some on hand!
Roasted Cabbage Roses - surprisingly delicious.
Olive Oil Mayo & Garlic Mayo - these are always in my fridge.
Tahini Dressing - so tasty drizzled
Better Butter - I never liked the ghee you buy in a jar. This stuff? Magic flavor!

Spring Chopped Salad - surprisingly fresh combination I'd never tried before. Quite good!

Sunny Day Strawberries - as she says, the perfect "treat" while you're being good.

She has extremely simple yet helpful sections titled "Stuff to Put on Eggs", "Flavor Boosters" that will jazz up any food, How to Dress up Broccoli, Burger Toppings, and suggestions on combinations to try. Great when you are speed-cooking a basic meal!

Chocolate chilli - I've made a few tweaks to this: less vinegar, more cloves and allspice, no cumin (outrageous, I know!), but it's now a favourite and I make it about once a month.

Sardines - hated them before this recipe, now I love them. Interested by earlier commenter who said to try water-packed fish, that would be cheaper for me. I will buy some next time I shop for sardines.

Chicken livers - JUST tried these 2 days ago. A marvel! I used the jerk seasoning also from the book (as used by Stupid Easy Paleo in one of her videos) - really delicious, although I overcooked the outside slightly by having the pan too hot and not wanting to eat them until they were cooked all the way through.

Taco meat and plantains - as awesome as everyone else in this thread says!

Roasted cabbage roses - I already liked roasted cabbage, but had never thought to cut them in this shape, so the leaves stay together. Doh!

Italian, Romanian and Merguez meatballs - Love. This is my favourite section of the book.

West African Chicken - Made this with beef. Brilliant - really interesting and a nice change from what I normally do.

• 9 months later...

I love the Chinese 5 spice ribs but I like them with the BBQ variation. I'm traveling without my cookbook and wanted to make them for my parents for dinner but can't remember the spice substitute. Chili powder for sure but is the other cumin? If someone could look that up for me, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

I love the Chinese 5 spice ribs but I like them with the BBQ variation. I'm traveling without my cookbook and wanted to make them for my parents for dinner but can't remember the spice substitute. Chili powder for sure but is the other cumin? If someone could look that up for me, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

Chili powder, Cumin, paprika and cider vinegar.

Archived