Day 12 and nothing has changed...good or bad. Am I doing this right

cass

I started the Whole30 because for years, I've struggled with near-constant constipation and acne. Doctors haven't helped, so I'm trying this. I'm a marathon runner, and I ate healthy pre-Whole30 -- lots of veggies, some healthy fats, few processed foods, but obviously, I ate grains, dairy and legumes. I've been on the Whole30 for 12 days and nothing has changed. I haven't had any of the negative side effects the book talks about -- cravings, headaches, fatigue, grumpiness, etc. -- and I'm not feeling better, either.

Here's a typical day from this week:

Breakfast: egg casserole (piece probably equivalent to 2-3 eggs, with spaghetti squash, spinach, and broccoli), Wholly Guacamole 100-calorie pack (easier to transport than 1/2 an avocado), and either a mix of coconut and raisins or a Larabar. 

Snack: carrots and the coconut/raisins or Larabar (whichever I didn't have for breakfast)

Lunch: Leftovers from previous night's dinner

Dinner: One of the ground meat stir-fry type recipes from It Starts With Food, with a side of another veggie (like broccoli) and a sweet potato or squash

This week, I've run 4-8 miles a day, after work. (I started the Whole30 the day after my last marathon, thinking that the reduced exercise would make this easier.) I have been bad about eating the pre-workout meal, and post-workout and dinner are the same. 

Am I doing something wrong? Am I crazy to think that I am doing something wrong because I haven't had negative side effects?

First, drop the Larabars. They are to be used only in emergency situations on a Whole30.

Snacks should be a mini meal, including a protein and fat.

You're only on day 12. It's a 30 day program for a reason. Continue the process and see what things are like for you 19 days from now.

I would echo everything Chris has mentioned, and also encourage you to have a proper pre/postWO. a template meal doesn't really work as a postWO as it has too much fat, and digestion/absorption of nutrients will be slowed. you're also missing out on the extra nutrients and calories by skipping these meals

I'm on Day 12 also and feel just about the same... The only side affects of W30 I've had are headache on day 3 and grumpy/tired kind of throughout, also the day 7-8 effects... and now I'm feeling super lazy about cooking/eating. I'm wondering if there's something I should/shouldn't be doing. I thought my cellulite was getting better mid last week but now it seems WAY worse! AHH!

Definitely get a proper snack - hb egg (or chicken slices), carrots, sliced peppers, olives (or coconut flakes, or a couple of slices of compliant proscuito).  But if you are not hungry - don't eat.  Do not eat because you think you "should" eat, or because you used to have a snack around this time.  If you are hungry enough to eat steamed fish w/ steamed broccoli - then eat something.

Get rid of the Larabars.  They are most likely doing you no favours (I actually find them constipating on there own - but that's  just me) And I feel less than stellar when they do make it in for emgergency reasons.

In order to get things moving I might recommend taking some digestive enzymes, eating something fermented (saurkraut, kimchi, pickles, and drinking kombucha)  Also taking Natural Calm magnesium might help things out as well.

But most of all give it time.  On my first go around I noticed around day 15 that I was 10 days behind on the timeline.  So I went to 45 days.  I also recognized that my body needed a lot of healing (hormones were running rampant).  So be patient.  So of us just take longer.

Thanks for all the advice. And just to clarify: I need a seperate post-workout meal even though I have the template meal 30 minutes or less later?

They suggest eating lean protein & carbs (no fruit, no fat) immediately after you workout so your muscles can start recovering, then eating your regular meal about an hr or so after.

Archived