Coconut milk in soup

I am thinking of making a pumpkin-ginger soup.  I saw some recipes online and all of them use coconut milk.  Problem, I don't have any in the house and I have the other ingredients ready.

Anyone know if it would work to add the coconut milk near the end or does it work better to simmer it for the entire 45-60 min?

Thanks!

• Moderators

I'm certainly not some kind of amazing chef, I just follow recipes, but I know this recipe adds the coconut milk at the end: 

And a quick google search found this one that also adds it at the end, that might be more like what you're making: http://sundaybrunchcooking.com/Pumpkin-Soup-with-Coconut-Orange-and-Ginger

And I would think, although I don't know it for sure, that since the point of the coconut milk is just to make it creamier/richer, you could probably cook the soup today, and then add the coconut milk to each serving as you heat them up and it would be fine. At least, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be okay to do that. I would also think  that if you left it out completely, you'd just have a soup that wasn't as rich and creamy, but I would think it would still taste okay, although if you were going to serve it that way, you might make sure you don't end up with too much ginger, since I would think the coconut milk might help tone that down a bit, if there's a lot in it. 

Anyway, just my two cents' worth. If that were all I was missing, I'd probably at least try it and see what happened. Worst case, you have to wait to eat it until you can go get some coconut milk to add to it. 

Thanks to both of you!  I don't have much experience with coconut milk, but didn't think it would need to cook much.  I had the veggies prepped and stuck them in some broth while my husband was at the store.  Added the milk when he got home and simmered a bit longer.  I'm sure it is fine.  Part of a cook-up, so not on today's menu, but I'm pretty sure it will be a happy little soup.

Archived